My first and latest short film "Xbox Lover"

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Well thanks for including my film and Following in the same sentence. 8-)

But back to some suggestions, the first thing you should try and come up with is a beginning for a story and also an ending. Once you've already filmed the beginning of the movie, you know how its going to end so you can start making it up as you go along and figure out how it is you're going to get to that end point.

Also, most good filmmakers try and tell a story visually without relying too much on dialogue. Try and come up with some props you know you have access to that you think could serve some kind of significance to the story. Something simple like a photograph or a cellphone. In Following, some of the most important props that Nolan used were photos, a credit card, an earing, and a hammer. All these things were used through out the film and they all came together in the last scene to tie the story together.

Another great film that uses props as motifs is Oldboy. I strongly recommend seeing that film if you haven't already.
Thanks for the advice, me and my friend are working out an idea right now. No screenplay, but the idea is going good. :)

And I saw Oldboy, I loved that fight scene in that hall. :D

chee wrote:

But back to some suggestions, the first thing you should try and come up with is a beginning for a story and also an ending. Once you've already filmed the beginning of the movie, you know how its going to end so you can start making it up as you go along and figure out how it is you're going to get to that end point.

Also, most good filmmakers try and tell a story visually without relying too much on dialogue. Try and come up with some props you know you have access to that you think could serve some kind of significance to the story. Something simple like a photograph or a cellphone. In Following, some of the most important props that Nolan used were photos, a credit card, an earing, and a hammer. All these things were used through out the film and they all came together in the last scene to tie the story together.

Another great film that uses props as motifs is Oldboy. I strongly recommend seeing that film if you haven't already.
Thanks for the advice, me and my friend are working out an idea right now. No screenplay, but the idea is going good. :)

Yeah, one of my favorite films. What I was getting at with the props though was how the twist ending was revealed without a single word being said with the use of the photo album as well as the angel wings we saw at the beginning.

*Regrets the fact that he could buy the DVD of Old Boy today, but didn't*
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Brendan M. wrote:
chee wrote:

Yeah, one of my favorite films. What I was getting at with the props though was how the twist ending was revealed without a single word being said with the use of the photo album as well as the angel wings we saw at the beginning.
Very true. It did have a good twist ending.