Noise (short film, 2016)

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hey guys, I thought I'd share a short film I shot with a cinematographer friend of mine in January. Actually, the film itself is not yet done as it's in post-production (fancy word for editing), but I've made a short trailer for it, and as soon as the film is finally done, I will post it here as well.

I've written the screenplay and directed the whole thing, while my friend (Peter) did the camera work, so it was a two-man crew.

I'm from Budapest, Hungary, so the film will be in Hungarian, but I will provide English subtitles. Don't worry, it won't feature too much dialogue :P The trailer has English subtitles, too, so don't hesitate to watch it.

The story itself: A girl in her 20s and her mother are driving through a deserted world to find food and medicine for themselves. Even though she has to look after her sick mother and has to protect themselves, she's trying to avoid hurting people as much as she can. But in this world avoiding violence can prove harder than it looks.

It's actually a very simple story, so don't expect anything spectacular or monumental. We are just two friends, both 25 years of age, studying filmmaking, and keen on making our own short films technically on no budget :) So here's the trailer; as I said, don't hesitate to watch it. It will feature an original score a friend of mine composed, and it's coming out (hopefully) in February:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGHPsUiL2Y
Last edited by DHOPW42 on January 29th, 2016, 9:54 am, edited 8 times in total.

Nice. What did you shoot this on?

Alberto wrote:Nice. What did you shoot this on?
We used a Canon EOS-1D C camera, and we shot it in 4K just for fun (not that we have 4K screens to play it on :D).

I also uploaded a few screenshots from the film:

ya got some nice looking shots in there

Michaelf2225 wrote:ya got some nice looking shots in there
Thanks! ;) Be sure to check out the trailer in the OP as well :D I'm hoping to finish this in two weeks.

Michaelf2225 wrote:ya got some nice looking shots in there
Yup, i agree.

Indeed, some great shots there, and loved the look of the film. It would be nice if you can talk about some of the filmmaking tools you used like what type of lenses. And I reckon it was tough to do it in 4k considering the huge size of each file!.

T-minus 10 wrote:Indeed, some great shots there, and loved the look of the film. It would be nice if you can talk about some of the filmmaking tools you used like what type of lenses. And I reckon it was tough to do it in 4k considering the huge size of each file!.
Well, the size of everything we shot comes down to 330 GB altogether, so yeah, the files are quite huge. Thus, editing in this case is not the easiest, as my computer - even though it's strong - is not a brand new one (it's around four years old), so you can barely see continuous footage in Premiere. It's all lagging all the time :D But it could be worse.

As I've said, we used a Canon EOS-1D C camera with four different lenses, these were:

Samyang 24mm t1.5
Samyang 14mm t3.1
Samyang 50 mm t1.5
Canon CN-E 24mm T1.5 L F Cine Lens

We had five shooting days including an extra shooting that took place today, and each day we shot for 5-6 hours I think. One day we even had the opportunity to go into a film studio and shoot some scenes there (both me and my cinematographer friend are attending a film school here in Budapest and they have some sort of a contract with this film studio... it's actually the same studio where films like Inferno was shot with Tom Hanks, and also the new Blade Runner movie will shoot here :D).

It was actually a small crew... just me and my cinematographer :D We wanted to keep it as simple as possible. We also used a Ronin camera stabilizer one day... we had a focus puller that same day, but that's it :D Just the two of us and the three actors. We shot in 4K because we wanted to have the sharpest and most detailed image possible, and also because if anything goes wrong you can still easily crop a 4K image in Premiere :D

Apart from the camera and the lenses, not much to say, to be honest... we didn't have anything special with us (except for the Ronin), and we tried to shoot as simple as possible, with the least crew possible. We wanted to keep it real simple... mostly because I didn't have any money to pay people, and I hate to ask for favours :D So next time I hope to have a bigger budget (or a budget at all) so that I can "hire" more people who can help with the logistics and stuff. But now it was only the two of us. Still, it was fun, and I'm still way into editing. It will be finished in one or two weeks, so I will post it here when it's done :)

DHOPW42 wrote:
T-minus 10 wrote:Indeed, some great shots there, and loved the look of the film. It would be nice if you can talk about some of the filmmaking tools you used like what type of lenses. And I reckon it was tough to do it in 4k considering the huge size of each file!.
Well, the size of everything we shot comes down to 330 GB altogether, so yeah, the files are quite huge. Thus, editing in this case is not the easiest, as my computer - even though it's strong - is not a brand new one (it's around four years old), so you can barely see continuous footage in Premiere. It's all lagging all the time :D But it could be worse.

As I've said, we used a Canon EOS-1D C camera with four different lenses, these were:

Samyang 24mm t1.5
Samyang 14mm t3.1
Samyang 50 mm t1.5
Canon CN-E 24mm T1.5 L F Cine Lens

We had five shooting days including an extra shooting that took place today, and each day we shot for 5-6 hours I think. One day we even had the opportunity to go into a film studio and shoot some scenes there (both me and my cinematographer friend are attending a film school here in Budapest and they have some sort of a contract with this film studio... it's actually the same studio where films like Inferno was shot with Tom Hanks, and also the new Blade Runner movie will shoot here :D).

It was actually a small crew... just me and my cinematographer :D We wanted to keep it as simple as possible. We also used a Ronin camera stabilizer one day... we had a focus puller that same day, but that's it :D Just the two of us and the three actors. We shot in 4K because we wanted to have the sharpest and most detailed image possible, and also because if anything goes wrong you can still easily crop a 4K image in Premiere :D

Apart from the camera and the lenses, not much to say, to be honest... we didn't have anything special with us (except for the Ronin), and we tried to shoot as simple as possible, with the least crew possible. We wanted to keep it real simple... mostly because I didn't have any money to pay people, and I hate to ask for favours :D So next time I hope to have a bigger budget (or a budget at all) so that I can "hire" more people who can help with the logistics and stuff. But now it was only the two of us. Still, it was fun, and I'm still way into editing. It will be finished in one or two weeks, so I will post it here when it's done :)
Those Samyang lenses sure are nice.

And the score? Was it a friend of yours or you had to "ask for favors"? :D