RECEIVING A Pitch

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

I barely know how giving a pitch works, but my "production studio" has been contacted for a pitch for a pilot episode of a TV show and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as someone pitches an idea. What kind of questions do I ask? Anyone know?

production studio?

FreakLikeMe wrote:I barely know how giving a pitch works, but my "production studio" has been contacted for a pitch for a pilot episode of a TV show and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as someone pitches an idea. What kind of questions do I ask? Anyone know?
discuss money upfront, and the second they mention a price abruptly say there's no way in hell i'm working for less than twice that amount! slam your fist on a table if possible.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
FreakLikeMe wrote:I barely know how giving a pitch works, but my "production studio" has been contacted for a pitch for a pilot episode of a TV show and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as someone pitches an idea. What kind of questions do I ask? Anyone know?
discuss money upfront, and the second they mention a price abruptly say there's no way in hell i'm working for less than twice that amount! slam your fist on a table if possible.
it's important to slam your fist or palm on the table because it tells them that you're all business.

i prefer to slam the palm because you get more surface area on the table=more volume=more business

physics bitch

Make sure you learn how to negotiate a salary first!

Sandy wrote:production studio?
I shop around for local filmmakers and screenwriters. It's not really a studio. There isn't a concrete location, except for my house, but I do finance small budget productions for friends and acquaintances and provide editing services to the technologically challenged and/or busy demographic. And if people need a director for a project for school or a PSA, I offer services or find someone who will be a substitute for me to direct.

If everyone could just stop trolling, that would be great!

A pitch usually works the other way. Someone has an idea and comes to a studio and/or producer to make them interested in buying his/her idea or play. Yes that means that if you're talking money, he's the one who get's payed.
From what I understand, you don't really have anything to offer to him. My suggestion is to just be nice and honest. Tell him that you want to listen to his pitch, but the only thing you can do is assamble a crew to make a low-budget pilot out of it. You're just a kid, you can't help him get the show on TV.

From what I understand,

If you're a filmmaker, you can get offered to pitch for an idea that someone else has created. When approached your role is to create a "treatment" on how you are going to adapt it to the screen, including various research elements and references. Then present it to try and win the job.

Z. Cobb wrote:From what I understand,

If you're a filmmaker, you can get offered to pitch for an idea that someone else has created. When approached your role is to create a "treatment" on how you are going to adapt it to the screen, including various research elements and references. Then present it to try and win the job.
That also kinda makes sense. Why didn't I think of that! :lol:
Anyway, I think you'd better just ask him what exactly he expects from you.