Discouraged from 35mm. Still would like to.Appreciate advice

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

First, let me express my happiness and slight surprise at finding a forum for fans Christoper Nolan! I love the psychological twist he puts in his films, and of modern directors, I think a good strong case can be made for him being the best in Hollywood.

My questions have to do with 35mm film. I want to make a short film (5-6 minutes). Partially influenced by Nolan's comments on the topic, I would rather shoot in 35mm than digital. I've been on another forum and they all talked about how ridiculous it would be to shoot on 35mm. I even called a guy at a camera rental place and he thought it was somewhat out of place. Everybody seems to think I should just get a RED camera instead since 35mm supposedly costs so much.

After looking around though, it does not seem too bad. I've read sites that say it could cost only $5000 all together to make a 10 min short (assuming one used 30 min worth of film). I don't have $5000 right now, but I certainly would be willing to save up for that and I am part way there now. If you can get 35mm for as cheap as $300 for 10 min, that seems especially affordable! I might even have a resource for renting a 35mm camera for free so that could cut the costs.

I am kind of lost here. Everybody says not to do it because of the cost but Christopher Nolan made "Following" for $6000! Isn't there any way I could make a short film happen for that if not much less?