What are you working on?

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

I am working on logline for feature film and I would love to hear your feedback. Logline: A CIA officer's mission is to steal a classified military device that are guarded by armed soldiers on a moving cargo train - End of the Line

Not highly original. Sounds like a basic action movie.

Erik wrote:Not highly original. Sounds like a basic action movie.
I guess you're right. What about this one: A brother and sister becomes outlaws across the country after discovering they gained special powers.

Well, superhero movies are around everywhere. However, what you just said is a unique approach to the genre and I think it can be turned into a great film. I kinda see a road movie and superhero movie at the same time.

just a general comment: Why does everything that has people with unnatural abilities have to be linked with the Superhero genre? I mean, can't it just can be a fantasy or a sci-fi without the superhero archetype thrown in it. Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker... Are they superheroes as well?

didich wrote:just a general comment: Why does everything that has people with unnatural abilities have to be linked with the Superhero genre? I mean, can't it just can be a fantasy or a sci-fi without the superhero archetype thrown in it. Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker... Are they superheroes as well?
It depends on the setting too I reckon.

If the setting is 'current day' (Chronicle, Unbreakable), then it is said to be a superhero film.

If the setting is fantasy then it falls into well, fantasy. Even though Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Apprentice has events taking place in 'modern day', there are some definite fantasy elements which missing in previous two.

Sci-Fi classification on the other hand, has a wide array of settings such as different time and place and elements ranging from grounded in reality to plausible to madeuptonium so it often overlaps with other genres such as action, horror, superhero, space opera.

PS: I don't remember a fantasy film taking place in 'our' future.

didich wrote:just a general comment: Why does everything that has people with unnatural abilities have to be linked with the Superhero genre? I mean, can't it just can be a fantasy or a sci-fi without the superhero archetype thrown in it. Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker... Are they superheroes as well?
That's an interesting question and Pratham gives a great answer. However, I am sure that exceptions to Pratham's approach, where a such a film is neither a superhero movie, nor a sci-fi or fantasy.

Anyway, I picture Brickman's idea with two superheroes.

Pratham wrote:
It depends on the setting too I reckon.

If the setting is 'current day' (Chronicle, Unbreakable), then it is said to be a superhero film.

If the setting is fantasy then it falls into well, fantasy. Even though Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Apprentice has events taking place in 'modern day', there are some definite fantasy elements which missing in previous two.

Sci-Fi classification on the other hand, has a wide array of settings such as different time and place and elements ranging from grounded in reality to plausible to madeuptonium so it often overlaps with other genres such as action, horror, superhero, space opera.

PS: I don't remember a fantasy film taking place in 'our' future.
That's certainly an interesting asnwer, though personally I generally classify the story depending how much time it spends trying to accomplish certain archetypes.

Aren't archetypes common across different genres?

Yeah, but not every genre spends the same time working with a specific archetype. For example, both Spider-Man and Harry Potter are, more-or-less, about teenagers/young adults with unexplicable powers. But the Harry Potter franchise spends more time diving into its own mythology and fantasy world, while Spider-Man spends more time fighting crime or individual villains.