Superhero Short

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hey guys-- I'm an aspiring writer/director, and a huge Nolan fan. I came across the board a couple weeks ago and have really enjoyed reading some of the conversations. It's cool to see so many people who really want to pursue filmmaking, and even cooler to see you guys actually going off and writing/making stuff.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a short film I did, as I think the board will get a kick out of it. It's a superhero noir, about the 1960's superhero labor union in Chicago.

www.theleaguefilm.com

Are you f***ing serious? That is one of the best shorst I have ever seen.
You will be the next Nolan. Omg.
Congratulations. One of the best works I've seen. :clap:
It looks SO pro.

Looks great. What kind of camera did you use?

Really well made. Th cinematography is good, the writing is good, the sound is great, the set design is great, the acting is pretty good, and the special effects weren't horrible. Congrats on getting the job at Marvel. There is one thing that bothers me quite a bit though. It is essentially a complete rip off of The Dark Knight, Watchmen and The Green Lantern. It's very unoriginal. The star (with the hood) is a mix of Batman and Rorschach, with nothing else, nothing original in him. The guy with the ring is literally The Green Lantern with a poor suit. And the whole story goes back and forth from The Dark Knight to Watchmen. Even the cinematography was designed to mirror Watchmen.

Hey guys-- glad you dig it. I shot on super 16mm, with Panavision and Arri bodies. It was my final film for college.
CrazyEight wrote:It is essentially a complete rip off of The Dark Knight, Watchmen and The Green Lantern. It's very unoriginal. The star (with the hood) is a mix of Batman and Rorschach, with nothing else, nothing original in him. The guy with the ring is literally The Green Lantern with a poor suit. And the whole story goes back and forth from The Dark Knight to Watchmen. Even the cinematography was designed to mirror Watchmen.
CrazyEight-- I definitely see where you're coming from. In my defense, I shot the film in November of 2007 (before even the second trailer for The Dark Knight was released). It went online in November of 2008. From a film stand point, I wasn't basing it on either of those. However, yes-- thematically there are a lot of similarities to Watchmen (the comics). It's about morally ambiguous superheroes-- which is not a new concept.

As far as characters, I went with archetypes for a reason. The guy in the hood is supposed to be a Robin/Nightwing type. Blaze is supposed to be a Green Lantern. That's the point.

Kyle Higgins wrote:CrazyEight-- I definitely see where you're coming from. In my defense, I shot the film in November of 2007 (before even the second trailer for The Dark Knight was released). It went online in November of 2008. From a film stand point, I wasn't basing it on either of those. However, yes-- thematically there are a lot of similarities to Watchmen (the comics). It's about morally ambiguous superheroes-- which is not a new concept.

As far as characters, I went with archetypes for a reason. The guy in the hood is supposed to be a Robin/Nightwing type. Blaze is supposed to be a Green Lantern. That's the point.
I got where you were coming from, I really enjoyed it. It's a really cool concept and there is definitely enough behind this story that if you ever had the chance it could translate to full length feature.

Very, VERY well made film. Everything is on a very high level, and the light-setting is just amazing. About the originallity, oh well. Lesson number one, in every filmschool: "Everything is a cliche, deal with it".
Big thumbs up. Its an amazing piece of work, you should be very proud of it. Because its so well done in every aspect. I envy your talent, and every person who were on that production.

Thanks, guys. In regards to a feature, it's not something we're really pursuing, though we have talked to a couple companies about doing it as a TV show. I'm also trying to get it going as a comic book. Beyond that, it's opened a lot of doors for me as a director-- we'll see what happens.

Kyle Higgins wrote: Beyond that, it's opened a lot of doors for me as a director-- we'll see what happens.
I can only imagine, not many young directors can walk up with something like this on their CV.

Jonas Agersø wrote: I can only imagine, not many young directors can walk up with something like this on their CV.
What about you? Are you looking at a career in movies?