Composers You Wish Nolan Would Work With?

David Julyan, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, and Ludwig Göransson
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

Reznor is absolutely my favorite composer (and I am not talking to just movie scores, I am talking about all of his music). But I don't really see him working with Nolan. Not that neither of them can work with the other, but it's just a feeling.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:Reznor is absolutely my favorite composer (and I am not talking to just movie scores, I am talking about all of his music). But I don't really see him working with Nolan. Not that neither of them can work with the other, but it's just a feeling.
No, I see what you mean. I'm a massive fan of Trent, the man is a genius, but they clash. Though, if Nolan does hard sci-fi, I could see Trent's style be used strangely effectively..

-Vader

I don't like Reznor that much... I don't see anything special about him. Sure he's a great composer but imo... his work can't stand with the majestic work of other composers...

When I look at Reznor I see quality but I don't see any master... The word genius is attributed these days to anyone who sounds interesting at one point... Genius is Jimi Hendrix and even there things are debatable. Genius is Mozart...

I love music, it's one of my main passions outside of bands. Naturally, I also love and am deeply invested in quite a number of artists, across a few different genres.

With that said, I can say as objectively as I can, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails are two of the strongest artists in the past 20 years, if not the strongest. Their experimentation and forward thinking in terms of melody, rhythm, and the most subtle of instrumentation.. it boggles my mind how Trent's made some of the songs he has. I mean, look at this:

-Vader

I'm a big fan of music too. I agree on Radiohead and on Nigel Godrich but not really on NIN. I don't find that unprecedented thing in them. I don't find that uniqueness. Yes, they might experiment but that doesn't say a lot imo. A lot of people experiment things but few of them succeed to influence music and to please the masses. Radiohead did that.

Another example, from another genre, are Massive Attack. And even those guys I can't consider them geniuses.

Genius is something or someone embodying exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of unprecedented insight. The term is used in various ways: to refer to a particular aspect of an individual, or the individual in their entirety; to a scholar in many subjects (e.g. Leonardo da Vinci) or a scholar in a single subject (e.g. Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla). (taken from wikipedia)

I really can't put Trent Reznor in the history of music composers on the same page with Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Bach or from our age... Pascal Dusapin, Feldman or the magical Friedrich Goldmann.

These are geniuses. These are majestic in what they do which is... MUSIC.

Bear McCreary

How about solely working with James Newton Howard.
I imagine how it would be to pair Hans Zimmer and David Julyan together...

JohnWayne wrote: I imagine how it would be to pair Hans Zimmer and David Julyan together...
I'd love to hear that, too :)

Vader182 wrote:I love music, it's one of my main passions outside of bands. Naturally, I also love and am deeply invested in quite a number of artists, across a few different genres.

With that said, I can say as objectively as I can, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails are two of the strongest artists in the past 20 years, if not the strongest. Their experimentation and forward thinking in terms of melody, rhythm, and the most subtle of instrumentation.. it boggles my mind how Trent's made some of the songs he has. I mean, look at this:
Agreed. I also think NIN and Radiohead are some of the best artists in the past years (along with Arcade Fire, Aphex Twin, Portishead...)

Also a great Nine Inch Nails song (used in some trailers):