Inception, Oscar nomination for nolan as best director?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Some forums speculates Nolan have a huge chance of becoming the best director winner for the next academy prizes with this movie "inception"... I agree,

Depends on how many other Oscar worthy films come out and if this film lives up to the hype.

Let's not jump the gun, he needs to get nominated first and that's a hurdle in itself.

It's too early to tell. The film has to be great, one of the best of the year great, just to get recognition in those major categories and then you have to account the competition.
Last edited by Eternalist on April 19th, 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's hard to say right now, but i think it'll get a best picture nom for sure considering they expanded it to 10 movies. if movies like the blind side can get nominated for best picture now, inception HAS to get recognized. it's weird how the oscars have so little credibility (ie. Sandra Bullock), but i always want my favourite movies to get nominated.

Also there was no best director or best picture for The Dark Knight. (instead we get The Reader for both? The READER????)

Although the fact that this is original material probably helps, and it's revolutions should hopefully garner one. Chris seems to really have outdone himself again in a different way. Pray for it.

What does it matter if Inception or Chris is nominated? Is the movie going to be any different?

i think there will definitely be a bias in favor of Nolan, since a lot of people felt that the Dark Knight was unjustly kept out of the awards in 09

if you think about it, it was Dark Knight that prompted the extension of the Best Film category. So now the Academy will be trying to "right" their wrongs. Its a good chance he will win because of sympathy. hopefully we're not jinxing him.

i read in a movie fan mag that inception is an early front runner for oscrs

(it also said that toy story 3 has already won best animated feature :D :D :D )

The thing is, Nolan's movies are so different from the usual Oscar movies that it's hard for him and his movies to get nominated for the Best Director / Best Picture awards. We all know how the Academy works, apart from this year when they expended to ten, they often go after standard drama films and not sci-fi/action films no matter how good the movie is. I know Nolan don't care at all about what the Academy thinks, he's only interested in what the public thinks, which I think is a good thing, remember the backlash that the Academy received when The Dark Knight wasn't nominated? That was another proof that the public means more than the Academy. I really think Nolan deserves an award, and it feels like, if the movie turns out to be good, he might have a big chance now with 10 nominations (he can thank himself for that xD) and eventually a director nod. But then again...it's the Academy, they're stubborn. I'd say if the movie get's good reviews, Inception will most likely be nominated for Best Picture and there is probably a 70% chance that Nolan get's nominated for Best Director. Winning on the other hand...I doubt it...they'll go with some standard drama film because that feels safe.

Hell, why wouldn't I be surprised if they snub him once again?

I lost my faith in the Oscar awards many times, so I could say that I don't care whether he will be nominated or not, the main thing is that I love his films more than anything. But it's still a shame, that his only nomination was 10 years ago, he didn't get a single nomination since then, not even for The Prestige which is I think more than a difficult movie to direct.

Of course I would be very glad if Nolan gets a nomination in a main category (best movie, best screenplay and best director), but if he doesn't, I will know that the Oscar awards mean less than I thought before.