“…take a leap of faith" — Meaning?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Rusty Shackleford wrote:
mchekhov wrote:
I'm well aware that there are plot holes with the totems and how they behave. But if you're suggesting that Dom is in a dream in that apartment scene, then it means he is in a dream the entire time, so what would be the purpose of the movie? Nothing happens? There's no reason for the viewer to have any emotional investment in the characters. It totally defeats the purpose of making movies.
I reject this notion completely. I see the entire film as a dream, and it does not ruin the film for me. It reveals a much deeper meaning, the real agenda of the film.

what? If it's a dream, you can then say that Dom Cobb doesnt even exist...none of these people exist in the real world. People often dream of themselves being someone else being surrounded by people they dont know, in circumstances that are completely out of fantasy. It then means nothing.

If you accept that the whole film is a dream, the world outside of that dream is left in ambiguity of infinite proportions.

mchekhov wrote:when Saito says "take a leap of faith" he doesnt know that the phrase has a meaning for Cobb. Because it strikes an emotional chord in Cobb's memory, it convinces him to do the job for Saito. The 2nd time we hear the quote, it serves as a revelation as to why the phrase had so much meaning for Cobb when Saito said it in the chopper. The 3rd time, Cobb is simply reminding Saito what Saito once asked Cobb to do, serving as a moment of ironic resolution. Everything comes full circle. Saito once asked Cobb to take a leap of faith, and now Cobb is asking Saito to take a leap of faith. Now these words hold meaning for the both of them in the context of their relationship. It's just clever writing. It probably is meant to make you question whether he is dreaming, since that was one of the director's intentions, but it's not evidence of him dreaming since we can easily provide an explanation for it. Which I have done.
Exactly what I was thinking. Couldn't have said it any better. Oh and in the end scene, he was still dreaming. He never got out in time. The kids were wearing the same outfit and it didn't look like they even aged a day. Plus the coin was spinning all day long. Not my ideal ending, but its a great ending to an amazing movie.

Cobb's uncontrollable projection of Mal told Saito about more than just the extraction mission that was going on at the time. -And Saito woke up with the notion that Inception was possible 8-)

tykjen wrote:Cobb's uncontrollable projection of Mal told Saito about more than just the extraction mission that was going on at the time. -And Saito woke up with the notion that Inception was possible 8-)
that sounds right on the money..
you are saying that Cobb subconsciously (thorugh Mal) imprinted an idea in Saito's mind?

Viral114 wrote:
tykjen wrote:Cobb's uncontrollable projection of Mal told Saito about more than just the extraction mission that was going on at the time. -And Saito woke up with the notion that Inception was possible 8-)
that sounds right on the money..
you are saying that Cobb subconsciously (thorugh Mal) imprinted an idea in Saito's mind?
Yup, that is exactly my notion. I like to play with the thought that Cobb is fully aware of Saito's powers, and tells his subconscious mind the tragic story from Cobb's point of view through Mal during the extraction mission. This all is done by a projection by Cobb's guilt, so when Saito speaks the phrase Leap of Faith, it seemed to trigger Cobb right? That may have been a sign that Cobb then knew, that Saito's subconscious knew. And right then Cobb accepted the mission without question, and without the guarantee. Remember Cobb declined the mission all the way until his kids was mentioned, and then he needed a guarantee. But Saito could not give him that so of course the phrase has a bunch to say. So in my opinion, the only way Saito knew..

Or was that just coincidence? I think NOT! 8-)

virtuallan wrote:
November 22nd, 2011, 3:57 am
mchekhov wrote:when Saito says "take a leap of faith" he doesnt know that the phrase has a meaning for Cobb. Because it strikes an emotional chord in Cobb's memory, it convinces him to do the job for Saito. The 2nd time we hear the quote, it serves as a revelation as to why the phrase had so much meaning for Cobb when Saito said it in the chopper. The 3rd time, Cobb is simply reminding Saito what Saito once asked Cobb to do, serving as a moment of ironic resolution. Everything comes full circle. Saito once asked Cobb to take a leap of faith, and now Cobb is asking Saito to take a leap of faith. Now these words hold meaning for the both of them in the context of their relationship. It's just clever writing. It probably is meant to make you question whether he is dreaming, since that was one of the director's intentions, but it's not evidence of him dreaming since we can easily provide an explanation for it. Which I have done.
Exactly what I was thinking. Couldn't have said it any better. Oh and in the end scene, he was still dreaming. He never got out in time. The kids were wearing the same outfit and it didn't look like they even aged a day. Plus the coin was spinning all day long. Not my ideal ending, but its a great ending to an amazing movie.