If Inception had come out before The Matrix...

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I think if this had happened, people's minds would have imploded trying to comprehend Inception. The Matrix seemed like it warmed everyone up for 'some' of the types of mind bending concepts that Inception dealt with.

Samsara17 wrote:I think if this had happened, people's minds would have imploded trying to comprehend Inception. The Matrix seemed like it warmed everyone up for 'some' of the types of mind bending concepts that Inception dealt with.
People's minds exploded because of Inception anyway. Personally, I don't like the Matrix/Inception comparisons.

taksraven wrote:
Samsara17 wrote:I think if this had happened, people's minds would have imploded trying to comprehend Inception. The Matrix seemed like it warmed everyone up for 'some' of the types of mind bending concepts that Inception dealt with.
People's minds exploded because of Inception anyway. Personally, I don't like the Matrix/Inception comparisons.
Why not? They question the nature of reality, what real is (is there an ultimate reality vs. subjective [which is relativism vs absolutism), and within that metaphysical space extraordinary things happen.

-Vader

I'll never understand the notion that Inception is some huge mind fuck. Really? The plot is incredibly straightforward, albeit ambitious, up until the last scene, which is clever and thought provoking, but hardly some out of this world, incomprehensible mindgasim.

Crazy Eight wrote:I'll never understand the notion that Inception is some huge mind fuck. Really? The plot is incredibly straightforward, albeit ambitious, up until the last scene, which is clever and thought provoking, but hardly some out of this world, incomprehensible mindgasim.
Well, it's rather simple. Inception has to do with dreams and gives tons of information very very quickly often in the midst of action sequences most people are too busy being excited by to totally comprehend things, and then the rules become confused then the rules change, and after they have four narratives going that you really need to comprehend the full scope of the rules to be fully understood, it's too large a narrative with too many rules (some of which were broken), with tons of 'crazy' things happening (like a dead wife haunting your subconscious and coming through doing crazy stuff, trains, spinning hallways, all of which many would consider 'nuts'), but we're fairly immune to stuff like that happening for a wide number of reasons, but also because we naturally pick up information like that very quickly because we're cinephiles.

Then the ending happens, and most people are fucking floored by it. So it kinda makes sense why the average viewer would be.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:I'll never understand the notion that Inception is some huge mind fuck. Really? The plot is incredibly straightforward, albeit ambitious, up until the last scene, which is clever and thought provoking, but hardly some out of this world, incomprehensible mindgasim.
Well, it's rather simple. Inception has to do with dreams and gives tons of information very very quickly often in the midst of action sequences most people are too busy being excited by to totally comprehend things, and then the rules become confused then the rules change, and after they have four narratives going that you really need to comprehend the full scope of the rules to be fully understood, it's too large a narrative with too many rules (some of which were broken), with tons of 'crazy' things happening (like a dead wife haunting your subconscious and coming through doing crazy stuff, trains, spinning hallways, all of which many would consider 'nuts'), but we're fairly immune to stuff like that happening for a wide number of reasons, but also because we naturally pick up information like that very quickly because we're cinephiles.

Then the ending happens, and most people are fucking floored by it. So it kinda makes sense why the average viewer would be.

-Vader
I'm not really talking about the average viewer. I mean, I assume that anyone who takes the time to sign up to an internet movie forum and actively post is more involved in cinema than the average joe, yet it seems like every other member on this site thinks Inception is a type of film that mortal man can hardly comprehend.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I'm not really talking about the average viewer. I mean, I assume that anyone who takes the time to sign up to an internet movie forum and actively post is more involved in cinema than the average joe, yet it seems like every other member on this site thinks Inception is a type of film that mortal man can hardly comprehend.
When I comment on the complexity of the film, I'm primarily focusing on the difficulty of discerning what was or wasn't reality and why, and examining the rules and mechanics of the film to aid that argument. I don't think most people discuss the actual narrative as being particularly challenging beyond it being an incredibly well told somewhat complex narrative as there's a lot to keep track of at once on a lot of levels, but I think (and hope) most primarily mean the ending.

Right?

-Vader

Matrix doesnt deserve to be in the same sentence with Inception.

Vader182 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
When I comment on the complexity of the film, I'm primarily focusing on the difficulty of discerning what was or wasn't reality and why, and examining the rules and mechanics of the film to aid that argument. I don't think most people discuss the actual narrative as being particularly challenging beyond it being an incredibly well told somewhat complex narrative as there's a lot to keep track of at once on a lot of levels, but I think (and hope) most primarily mean the ending.

Right?

-Vader
I've never said it's not complex... it's not a walk in the intellectual park, but it certainly doesn't bring comments like "implode trying to comprehend Inception" to mind, which I see far too often on this site.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

Right?

-Vader
I've never said it's not complex... it's not a walk in the intellectual park, but it certainly doesn't bring comments like "implode trying to comprehend Inception" to mind, which I see far too often on this site.
Have there been comments like that? Most things that aren't immediate and require thought people refer to as mind-blowing. Unfortunately, haha.

-Vader