What problems/issues you had with Inception?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
But the main question is.Who was riding the train? Mal?

BatMotor wrote:But the main question is.Who was riding the train? Mal?
No, the main question is...is Eames a train conductor? <ducks>

billh777 wrote:
BatMotor wrote:But the main question is.Who was riding the train? Mal?
:lol:

:lol: :lol:
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

prince0gotham wrote: The moment the viewer gets shocked by the train that slams into the traffic a certain emotional effect that echoes within him, that wouldn't be achieved if the train shows up another time. All that would achieve would be a 'Oh Come On!'. On the other hand The Matrix proved to go very well with the long fight sequences (in the first one) so in the 2nd one they had to push themselves to the limits again and that's another reason why long fight sequences were pretty much in favor of the movie itself.

So to the OP, no, another train scene wouldn't be ok because it would've been funny instead of shocking, it would've made Cobb look ridiculous and it would make it harder for me to take it seriously.

I do agree that the train should only make a single appearance, but, I believe the train needed to have an effect on the setting and the ongoing events. The initial shock was there when the train first appeared in the rain level, but that shock quickly faded away when the train disappeared in a matter of seconds. Again:

1) BOOM. We see a train rolling down the street. If I am not mistaken, I do believe that even Cobb follows the train. But where was the impact of the train besides shock value? Arthur and the team in the cab could have glanced behind them to see a train speeding towards them, adding to the overall suspense of trying to get out of that car jam they were in.

2) Leave the train out of the rain sequence entirely. Have it make its first appearance in the snow level with Eames perhaps. Cobb brings in projections/objects when witnessing something similar to his past (glass breaking = children), so it could have worked in the snow level (shooting Mal = train projection).

Common. We all saw that train in the trailer. I think we expected more than “Oh CRAP, it’s a train in the street … well, now it’s gone” :lol:
George wrote:
I think the fully rotating hallway was underused.
That Matrix fight scene is nearly 6 minutes in length. Although the hallway/bedroom fight scene in Inception is 2 minutes in length (starting from the hallway beginning to tilt and including cuts to the van action), we only get 18 seconds of fully rotating hallway action.
I’m glad someone else brought this up. This was another underused aspect in my opinion. I don’t want to come across as the kid who wants non stop special effects and explosions, but it’s a matter of taking one step further. Like the idea of beauty. You create something magical, but how awesome would it be to blow it up? (Nolan did do this). Taking one more leap.

Easiest solution would be to extend the scene, but that entire hotel sequence was rotating. Yes, I know he was many floors up, but how cool would it have been to have Arthur have a minor fight sequence in the Mr. Charles bar when it’s rotating? All the glass crashing down :shock: . Never mind the hallway; I wanted a glimpse of the entire interior of the hotel rotating.

Overkill? Over the Top? Perhaps. Maybe I’m just dreaming. Yet now that I have seen the extraction segments, I can’t help but feel bad for the team who had put forth so much work only to produce seconds of footage. Nolan presented us with two huge ideas that were feasible in the world (train down the street/rotating hallway), yet, we only catch glimpses of these remarkable aspects. :cry:

EDIT: I didn’t know Eames could be in the train and chat with Mr. Fischer in the cab at the same time :lol:

Does Eames have a twin?

Armandhammer wrote:I didn’t know Eames could be in the train and chat with Mr. Fischer in the cab at the same time :lol:

Does Eames have a twin?
Eames is the Chuck Norris of Inception. He can do whatever he damn well wants ;)

Back on topic though...I guess I see the point about wanting the train to have some more impact, like maybe as an added complication to Arthur getting the cab free from the "traffic jam". I like having it appear in the first dream level though, because it really drives home just how unpredictable Cobb's subconscious is. Without the train, there would have to be some other manifestation of this on the first level.

The problem I see with wanting more train, or more of the rotating hotel effect, or more of anything that people have wished for, is that the frakking movie is already 148 minutes long. I like long movies, but that is pushing my limits (I realize others may feel differently). If Nolan had included everything everyone is asking for, it would be a three-hour movie, or more. Pacing would be altered. The impact of imagery would be changed. The emotional roller-coaster ride would be affected. I think it's fine as is. In Nolan we trust.

We saw it in the trailer but we didn't expect when it was going to hit.
And it did create a predicament, Cobb and Ariadne got slowed down and couldn't help the others. Not that it was fatal, but if they did get there on time maybe Saito wouldn't have gotten shot.

prince0gotham wrote:We saw it in the trailer but we didn't expect when it was going to hit.
And it did create a predicament, Cobb and Ariadne got slowed down and couldn't help the others. Not that it was fatal, but if they did get there on time maybe Saito wouldn't have gotten shot.
Very good point. The train basically triggered the whole "we gotta finish this job as fast as possible" thing.

The fun of the train was the shock of it. If they kept using it, it's impact would be significantly diminished each time it appeared.

And I don't get how you could want the Train to appear on the snow level. That would be a ridiculous hassle to film, and the whole point of the train scene was that it's surprising to see a train flying by in the middle of the street. Putting it in the snow level instead wouldn't make it any more interesting.

And the rotating action sequence was fine. Just enough to leave you exhilarated, but you don't want to over do it, or else you have the Matrix Reloaded all over again.

steveportee wrote:And the rotating action sequence was fine. Just enough to leave you exhilarated, but you don't want to over do it, or else you have the Matrix Reloaded all over again.
agreed :lol:

I liked all three Matrix films (first was the best of course), but Inception goes for a different tone obviously.