inception hard to understand for you?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
alright. so inception only the scene at beginning is really a scene from the end and the rest of the movie is straightforward. ok i understand. thank you.

now friends can u break down how he told:
1-memento
2-insomnia
3-the prestige
4-dark knight

all other four movies not like inception right?? or "the scene at beginning is really a scene from the end and the rest of the movie is straightforward" is his style of story telling??
Last edited by director_journey on January 26th, 2011, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Have you watched the films because, that would probably be easier then having it explained in detail. If you pay attention you shouldn't have trouble understanding them.

theweatherman wrote:Have you watched the films because, that would probably be easier then having it explained in detail. If you pay attention you shouldn't have trouble understanding them.
1st question i can tell dark knight is fast pace screenplay i can follow that, but in between i cannot follow that and also in the end i don't understand. so can anyone help me break down his story telling way in dark knight?

2nd question i also don't understand memento storytelling way. i know he have short term memory lost and the story following backward but is that he make us complex with putting act 2 scene in beginning or act 3 scene in middle stuff like that??

director_journey wrote:alright. so inception only the scene at beginning is really a scene from the end and the rest of the movie is straightforward. ok i understand. thank you.

now friends can u break down how he told:
1-memento
2-insomnia
3-the prestige
4-dark knight

all other four movies not like inception right?? or "the scene at beginning is really a scene from the end and the rest of the movie is straightforward" is his style of story telling??
OK, I don't have much time to analyse each movie so I'll make this quick:
MEMENTO: reverse chronology, alternates between the beginning of the story (moves FORWARD) and the end of the story (moves BACKWARD), until they 'meet' at the middle.
THE DARK KNIGHT: straightforward, no non-linear storytelling at all (except the ending).
INSOMNIA: straightforward, with some flashbacks.
THE PRESTIGE: non-linear storytelling. Alternates between Borden in prison, Borden before captured, and Angier before he 'dies'.

THE PRESTIGE will be a tough one for you lol
Say Girl

Inception is very easy to unless you are this critic.
gib sigs

You gotta respect that kid. I don't agree with him but the fact that he even seems to be pretty smart. I mean it's hard to give him shit for not "understanding" the film cuz he is just a kid.

I saw plenty of films as a kid I didn't fulling understand and now their my favorite movies. If a movie can confuse you make you think......well you have something special. That little dude will figure that out one day.
Say Girl

Here be spoilers.
Memento is fairly linear. The story is told backwards and to me the acts are exactly as they are presented. It also tells a subplot thread in black and white and forward. The subplot explains what the lead character knows about the case he suffers from. When you reach to the end of the movie, the scene pretty much unlocks the key piece of the story which is how Leonard ends up killing Teddy.

Insomnia is fairly straight forward with a very linear narrative structure. The movie has flashes of one particular scene for Dormer but pretty much the entire plot unfolds in chronological fashion.

Prestige plays with time very heavily. It basically jumps between two narratives, Angier reading Borden's diary of his time, and Borden reading Angier's diary from prison. The movie starts with a key scene that establishes how Borden goes to prison before jumping to Angier's narrative. The story meets at the final act where the story plays out linearly.

The Dark Knight is very straightforward. Runs through linearly up until the end where the story attempts to tie several plot threads in the end, and has an extreme cross-cutting to cover Harvey's funeral, Batman's escape from the cops, the casting down of the Bat signal, and Dawes's letter.
In all honesty, if you took the time to watch these movies, I think you'd figure it out. Please watch them, and if you have... then hope this helps.

Redsmile wrote:You gotta respect that kid. I don't agree with him but the fact that he even seems to be pretty smart. I mean it's hard to give him shit for not "understanding" the film cuz he is just a kid.

I saw plenty of films as a kid I didn't fulling understand and now their my favorite movies. If a movie can confuse you make you think......well you have something special. That little dude will figure that out one day.
???
It's evident that you are in minority because his youtube channel has more dislike than likes.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/24745/s ... a-jackson/
gib sigs

lol well duh. People don't like to see anyone that young critize something they like. They prob left comments like "who does this kid think he is" and " he has no idea what he's talking about..

But his review raised some valid points. I think Nolan could have done a better job with Page's character. I don't agree with him when he says she's just there for exposition. There was more to the character. But when you should feel that this character can break through Cobb's defenses and really bring the truth out of his it just jumps back to the action and you feel she's just there so Cobb and the crew can explain things. I got what Nolan was going for and since it's a summer blockbuster film I don't see it as that big of a deal.

I understand why people wouldn't like him but since after listening to his review is caused me to think about how much exposition Nolan used and how it affected the story somewhat. If a reviewer and get me thinking about the movie I respect them. He didn't bash the movie. Just explain how it wasn't for him....or adults with a childs IQ. lol. And the most important thing is that he did all this without bashing the movie. Armond White make me sick. Not because he doesn't like Inception or pretty much any good movie but the way he just bashes everyone involved with the film and the people who like it. It's easy to watch a movie and make fun of it. It's not easy to make a movie. And untill your on the other side of that process you should be as polite as possible when reviewing a film. End of that rant...

So yeah your going to get people saying he's stupid and just wrong about the movie. But if this review came from someone in their mid forties people wouldn't have never the emotional reaction.

I still don't really get why anyone would really put that much stock in a kids review anyway. It's a damn kid!

I'm sure when the kid gets older he will come to like Inception more as well.

wow after writing this I feel like a loser lol. :wtf:
Say Girl