Fischer at the end

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
So, definitely have to say that Inception gets better with each viewing and I appreciate it even more :D

One thing that confuses me towards the end of the movie is once they wake up on the airplane. Fischer has been guided by the same exact crew of people through multiple dream levels while he was asleep, and within the 2nd level Cobb establishes that he has been hired as his bodyguard within his subconscious. So then they all wake up on the airplane, and there doesn't seem to be any note of recognition when Fishcer wakes up and sees everyone around him on the plane, in fact the only people on the plane with him. Even when Cobb walks by him at the baggage claim he kind of gives a nonchalant glance at him that you'd give to any guy you don't really care about.

I'm not saying that I was looking for something as obvious as a Wizard of Oz kind of thing with a "You were in and so were you..." sort of thing, it just struck me as being a bit odd that I couldn't catch even a moment of confusion or recognition on his part when everyone around him is the same crew of people who were guiding him through his subconscious.

Is there something I'm missing, or do you guys think that was something maybe intentionally ambiguous to add to the dream argument?

Remembering a dream after you woke up can take years of practice.
Cobb said something like that.

I really didn't read Fischer's look as one of nonchalance. It seems a lot more 'WTF?' to me.

However you may read it, though, once they all wake up on the plane we're into total ambiguity mode and the writer/director is just having fun, and so are we. It was a hell of a ride but cool people don't gush.

I thought it was more confusing that Mal's totem didn't set the scanner alarm off when Cobb walked through. That really ruins the whole film for me. ;)

One thing that did (seriously) stand out for me is the way, when Cobb washes up on the beach, the camera is covered in splashes of water, which reminds you you're watching a movie. I really liked that. It doesn't have much in the way of Fischer-at-the-end about it, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

I reckon the answer is that Fischer doesn't have to remember the strange dream he had on the plane in any detail.

It's enough that the idea has been planted and that, I think, is what is occupying his mind after he wakes up. He sees Cobb and probably thinks that guy looks familiar, oh yes, he was sat behind me on the plane but what else, can't remember, doesn't matter, but I really do think I should get started on breaking up the business...

He probably has trouble just remembering the van dream - where Cobb and Arthur made sure to wear masks.

markweatherill wrote:I reckon the answer is that Fischer doesn't have to remember the strange dream he had on the plane in any detail.

It's enough that the idea has been planted and that, I think, is what is occupying his mind after he wakes up. He sees Cobb and probably thinks that guy looks familiar, oh yes, he was sat behind me on the plane but what else, can't remember, doesn't matter, but I really do think I should get started on breaking up the business...
Yes, probably, but also - if Fischer's been trained to resist extraction and Cobb 'revealed' himself to be Mr. Charles then I think there might be a flash of recognition; but, like Smile, you're right - perhaps not at that exact moment.

mrandolph83 wrote:So, definitely have to say that Inception gets better with each viewing and I appreciate it even more :D

One thing that confuses me towards the end of the movie is once they wake up on the airplane. Fischer has been guided by the same exact crew of people through multiple dream levels while he was asleep, and within the 2nd level Cobb establishes that he has been hired as his bodyguard within his subconscious. So then they all wake up on the airplane, and there doesn't seem to be any note of recognition when Fishcer wakes up and sees everyone around him on the plane, in fact the only people on the plane with him. Even when Cobb walks by him at the baggage claim he kind of gives a nonchalant glance at him that you'd give to any guy you don't really care about.

I'm not saying that I was looking for something as obvious as a Wizard of Oz kind of thing with a "You were in and so were you..." sort of thing, it just struck me as being a bit odd that I couldn't catch even a moment of confusion or recognition on his part when everyone around him is the same crew of people who were guiding him through his subconscious.

Is there something I'm missing, or do you guys think that was something maybe intentionally ambiguous to add to the dream argument?

well

1) fischer, most certainly, does not give cobb a nonchalant look....you can tell he's experiencing some strange feeling of familiarity but he is uncertain why

2) most people dont remember their dreams when they wake up....which explains why fischer recognizes Leo but doesnt understand why

talli wrote:2) most people dont remember their dreams when they wake up....which explains why fischer recognizes Leo but doesnt understand why
That was the thing I forgot about. At the end, when Cobb greets his kids after Miles says "Look who's here", one of the kids says "Daddy!" but does the other one say "Leo!" or did I mishear it?

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:
talli wrote:2) most people dont remember their dreams when they wake up....which explains why fischer recognizes Leo but doesnt understand why
That was the thing I forgot about. At the end, when Cobb greets his kids after Miles says "Look who's here", one of the kids says "Daddy!" but does the other one say "Leo!" or did I mishear it?
i don´t know i will check that out but it would be interesting

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:
You misheard. :lol: