Did anyone else notice this?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
thenextnolan wrote:
Vasticity wrote:I was watching my recently delivered Inception DVD and I just noticed... Yusuf totally gives one of the projections the finger.
This should be a demotivational poster.
i did notice a while back. but that was from the gifs i saw on tumblr like 2 months ago. out of all 7 of my movie theatre viewings, i still didnt notice it.

Saw it nine times in the cinema. Noticed it at about the third viewing. BUT, it is pretty brief and not too clear so there is nothing wrong with people missing it.

taksraven wrote: Saw it nine times in the cinema. Noticed it at about the third viewing. BUT, it is pretty brief and not too clear so there is nothing wrong with people missing it.
True dat.

I've lost track, how many folks here claimed they noticed it on first viewing? And how many of those people saw it in IMAX and I should be jealous of them because the nearest IMAX to me is about 4 hours away? :x :lol:

e-lex wrote:when Cobb and Arthur first pitch Saito, look at him eating - he is either chewing or putting the fork to his mouth or taking the glass of wine without finishing any of these actions.
In fact if you watch Saito, he's pretty much stuffing the food into his face, fork goes up and down, up and down, up and down.

Who suggested an Oscar for best editing?

(I just watched the end credits through and was looking for someone in charge of continuity. I didn't see anyone)

markweatherill wrote: Who suggested an Oscar for best editing?

(I just watched the end credits through and was looking for someone in charge of continuity. I didn't see anyone)
As I see it, this is not mistake of the editor (what can he do if it's shot and printed this way?) but of the DP. Again, this could be an intentional error for the audience to feel subconsciously that something is wrong, thus preparing us for the reveal that all of this is a dream-world. On the other hand, I can easily understand artistically why it was shot this way - this gives us a pretty nice action-filled frame even without anyone doing something of importance, in fact it would look rather dull if Saito was just listening bluntly to the pitch. So it's okay, I guess... But, well, still this insatiable-gobbling-scene is very funny to me.

e-lex wrote:

As I see it, this is not mistake of the editor (what can he do if it's shot and printed this way?) but of the DP. Again, this could be an intentional error for the audience to feel subconsciously that something is wrong, thus preparing us for the reveal that all of this is a dream-world. On the other hand, I can easily understand artistically why it was shot this way - this gives us a pretty nice action-filled frame even without anyone doing something of importance, in fact it would look rather dull if Saito was just listening bluntly to the pitch. So it's okay, I guess... But, well, still this insatiable-gobbling-scene is very funny to me.
Nice idea about the intentional error.

There are a couple of lines in this scene that differ between the film and the shooting script (mainly around Cobb distinguishing quite emphatically between an idea and information - quite an important change). Whether that decision was made during shooting or later during editing could account for Saito's behaviour.

e-lex wrote:

I'm not sure how you can blame this on Wally. The individual takes were definitely longer than the cuts we get in the film. It was the editors job to cut it. In filmmaking, we have a general rule of doing group shots: once the general layout is established so that the audience can see where everyone is positioned, the traditional line-of-action can be crossed without worry because the initial orientation for the spectator has been set-up. That's all we get. The action lines are between the eyes of the actors. The first line we get is between Cobb and Saito. That line is the establishing one. However, once we get Arthurs line we now have the entire set-up we need. In fact, if I remember right, we get a nice 3-shot (LS-framing) that deliberately orients the spectator. The way it is in the film, is not due to technical error but was done purposefully by the editor (this is in regards to lengths of shots). The cinematography is fine. The editing is fine. It was all done on purpose. As a filmmaker, that's how I see it.

AaronFaulkner,
I thought, I made it obvious that my intention was not to blame anyone - that line about the DP's mistake (like I said, if any mistake did ever happen in the scene) was the reaction to markweatherill's attempt to reproach the editor - I'm a cutter myself, so I'm sort of partial :).

Anyone notice when saito is opening the paper documents in the beginning as the dream is collpasing & right when he yells out
STOP HIM!, mal is smiling?
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.