Christopher Nolan (Somewhat) Explains Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
User avatar
Posts: 1887
Joined: July 2010
Location: New Delhi, India
Great interview. Hit all the right buttons, said all the right phrases. ;-)

Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
Alright, so in this text we have arguments PRO it's a dream and arguments CONTRA it's a dream, and this helps us that much: 0

User avatar
Posts: 4041
Joined: April 2010
Rob wrote:Alright, so in this text we have arguments PRO it's a dream and arguments CONTRA it's a dream, and this helps us that much: 0
No because the thing people need to understand soon, is that it doesn't matter whether its a dream or not, thats what Nolan is saying! :angel:

Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
Jonas Agersø wrote:
Rob wrote:Alright, so in this text we have arguments PRO it's a dream and arguments CONTRA it's a dream, and this helps us that much: 0
No because the thing people need to understand soon, is that it doesn't matter whether its a dream or not, thats what Nolan is saying! :angel:
No.

I'm sorry, but I think that there's a lot more to it than that. It may be even more complicated than we may think. And there is an answer, as Nolan is saying. That's not a joke of him.

Posts: 213
Joined: April 2010
Cobb is in his reality.
Nothing Else Matters.

User avatar
Posts: 3417
Joined: April 2009
Location: Cali
Well, this article is kind of a tease just as the movie was. I was so intrigued while watching this film, I had to literary sit forward in my seat and pay close attention not to miss anything even though the screen was a giant screen. That's the beauty of this film and in my opinion Nolan has reached to a level that we can easily call him as one of tbe best filmmakers of our generation. There are too many clues. The more you think about it, the more you fall in limbo and you stay there wondering what was going on.

I watched the film 3 times and trust me every time I was there, I was glued to my seat. I think COBB came to reality, we saw his kids faces and that spinning top on the table kept spinning, but before the scene fades out, the spinning top is starting to wobble. The guy next to me in the theatre started spinning his hand, showing gestures as he too didn't wanted the top to fall, but it fades out and everyone started laughing and clapping.

Nolan said in this article, not the whole movie is a dream. Then that means I was thinking right. Only some parts were dream. When Cobb visits Michael Caine that's the reality. When he accepts INCEPTION in the chopper is reality. The chase in Mombasa is reality.

Chris said that his ending cannot be a dream, for Cobb's children is wearing differen clothes and they are grown a little. That top on the table is about to wobble and apparently will fall down. And, Cobb never looks at it, for he doesn't give a damn about it anymore since he is with his kids now.

The ending is so sophisticated that it makes you think it was a dream or just leaves some with wonders. Nolan's goal is not to make the audience to think it's a dream or reality. He didn't wanted to make it obvious. He just wanted us to put our own judgements on the ending. We can think of Cobb still in a dream and that Mal is still alive, but separated from him in reality or we can put it as Cobb is back to reality.
Last edited by Rohan on November 25th, 2010, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 3861
Joined: August 2009
Well let's look at the one thing Nolan actually confirmed in this interview. To paraphrase him, "Cobb no longer cares if the top stops, it no longer matters."

So yes Nolan does actually say that it really doesn't matter whether its a dream or not. I believe he had a definite something in mind when he wrote it, but won't reveal it because he wants people to find their own resolution to the story in the ending.

User avatar
Posts: 3417
Joined: April 2009
Location: Cali
theweatherman wrote:Well let's look at the one thing Nolan actually confirmed in this interview. To paraphrase him, "Cobb no longer cares if the top stops, it no longer matters."

So yes Nolan does actually say that it really doesn't matter whether its a dream or not. I believe he had a definite something in mind when he wrote it, but won't reveal it because he wants people to find their own resolution to the story in the ending.
The reason Nolan stated that it doesn't matter whether it's a dream or not, for all Cobb wanted in the story is to get back to his kids as they are alone. Their mother left them. ONE LAST JOB AND THAT'S HOW I GET THERE. And the reason Nolan doesn't want to reveal it because there is nothing to reveal. He left us the audience to make our judgements on the ending. We can think of COBB Is still dreaming or no, he is back to reality. I choose reality, for it's already been cleared.

Posts: 3861
Joined: August 2009
That's what I thought I said. I think Nolan himself has his answer to whether it was a dream or reality, but he wants everyone to choose the theory that makes the most sense to them.

User avatar
Posts: 3417
Joined: April 2009
Location: Cali
theweatherman wrote:That's what I thought I said. I think Nolan himself has his answer to whether it was a dream or reality, but he wants everyone to choose the theory that makes the most sense to them.
Yes. I agree.

Post Reply