The Director is the Highest Paid Person on Set!

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I Was listening to you guys' podcast, and you said Nolan would get paid 10-15 million, and DiCaprio would get paid 20 million. You guys know that the director gets paid more than anyone on set? It's true. Do your research, guys.

Aw cool I didn't even know there was a podcast.

I'm going to go listen right now :D

The director doesn't always get the most money, not upfront at least. Do not pretend we're clueless. I've seen plenty of budget-lists: a lot of which have actors getting paid more than the director. You should try reading some with big actors in it.

Do you do podcasts?

You're wrong. Most of the time the well known actors get most of the cash. Will Smith pulls in $30 million a movie; no director gets anywhere near that.

apw
Michael Bay made $80m from Transformers.

I very much doubt Shia LaBeouf made $80m.

The upfront fee may be less than the director but if the movie is a hit than the director probably ends making more money overall.

Nolan would have got money from the script sale and also from the fee to director it upfront. I wouldnt be surprised if those combined were equal to Leo's fee. But if the movie is a hit then Nolan will get royalties from being a writer. He will then get a percentage as the producer and director.

I'm not so sure that Leo would get $20m. His last film in wide release (Body of Lies) barely made double that at the box office office. Someone is worth $20m should pull in bigger figures than that.

Yea, Directors can make a lot on back-end. Big actors can too. And let's not forget, Leo is still a powerhouse.

Body of Lies made $115m worldwide. Russell Crowe still got his quote (which is large) for Robin Hood.

Leo's quote is still $20m last I heard. He made $45m in 2008. He was the fifth highest paid actor that year. They pay him that amount for R-rated adult dramas. The box-office potential rarely matters. And the box-office potential on Inception is pretty big I imagine.

apw
$115m worldwide for a film with DiCaprio/Crowe and directed by Ridley Scott is terrible. The movie didn't even get good reviews. If the budget ($70m reported) is correct then the movie will have lost money. Warner will probably wished that hadn't bothered.
The box-office potential rarely matters
Of course the box office potential matters. If the movie doesnt have that, then it won't make money.

this is what it has come to? arguing about who gets paid the most? how does it matter to us? we're not getting a cut of Leo's pay. or Nolan's pay.....only thing that matters is that the movie is incredible.

apw wrote:$115m worldwide for a film with DiCaprio/Crowe and directed by Ridley Scott is terrible. The movie didn't even get good reviews. If the budget ($70m reported) is correct then the movie will have lost money. Warner will probably wished that hadn't bothered.
The box-office potential rarely matters
Of course the box office potential matters. If the movie doesnt have that, then it won't make money.
Leo still get's his pay. That's my point. This isn't a conversation about whether or not movies make their budget back.