Totally New Interpretation -- just for fun

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Let me, after viewing many valid and thorough posts and hypotheses, present a different idea, if only for discussion, since we can argue all these points back and forth.

What is truly fascinating about this movie is how Nolan can make tangible even the most abstract things within the flow of the movie that it seems perfectly acceptable. 1.An actual elevator to go "deeper" into Cobbs brain from the beach to the hotel. 2. an actual architect rendering these levels for the dreamer to fill with information that is revealing to the extractors, or inceptors in this case. These are all almost silly when discussed but fully plausable for those who saw it. Also well done is the exaggeration of dreams based on actual factors. When Arthur is flopping in the van, the entire hotel shifts axis and everyone floats as if in a space simulation parabolic flight. In the fitst extraction, an Entire building begins to flood from the top windows. The avalnch in the third fortress level. Each further level one goes into, the more exaggerated even a little event feels (whch is why they use the kicks at the very least).

So with that in mind, I will say the whole movie is a dream and an exaggeration of a fully relatable problem many fathers faec with their children in the corporate day of age. He is always on the road, going from place to place, losing touch with his kids, who he would love to be there, and his wife, who he must have arguments with. He has lost reality by ways of his constant and demanding job (one could even question if he is an actual dream grifter/incepter - or that is just his symbolism for someone who is in psychology or even something like advertising where he can manipulate the mind into wanting to buy a product or figuring out what focus groups like--which is why i can even believe someone saying this movie is actually in the past {look at the clothing and hairstyles emphasizing the 1920 to 40s--then again the hotel had modern technology.. anyways).

He is a man always on the run, and in his dream, he had fabricated that it is not his fault he is constantly o nthe road --

1."numerous anonymous corporations are constantly chasing you. ", which Cobbs wife uttered to him and questioned whther or not HE was dreaming, when they were both in limbo before she stabbed him.

2.a. His wife turned him in to force him to "take a leap of faith" with her and go into reality by jumping off the ledge. b.He is not allowed to go into the country because of this or he'll be shot. c. Others seem to know about this without being told.

3.his kids are never facing him, but turning and runnin away, almost going on childhood withouthim.

4.His guilt creates a wife who is a menace and dangerous (which he calles a shadow) , even though she seems so pretty and harmless, as an excuse to leave as if he doesn't have one good enough for himself.

So He is using companies and work as a scapegoat. He feel compelled to work just as much as he does to be with his kids. But the pressures of the corporate empire press down on him more than his guilt.

In this movie, his dream, his wife jumps off the ledge wanting to get out and into reality. She does this because she confuses reality with dreams based on his inception and follows his advice from a deeper dream to escape (by riding the rails so to speak). In actuality, its Cobbs own confusion of reality and perception of his day to day jobb. Cobb projects his wife, instead, being confused, and jumping off the ledge is his own manifestation of him feeling he is losing his relationship with his wife. It's exaggerated, since it's symbolic in a dream, like the avalanche and the turning hotel. The reasons he is banned from the US based on this are almost absurd, since the police can find out the verdict fairly simply.

Cobb cannot jump with her, and be in a commitement with her forever, like he promised in marriage, his own perceived dreams by wearing the ring, and numerous times in the dream, because he is so reluctant to abandon his alternate reality: his demanding job -his day to day reality,, his dreeam/this movie and take a leap of faith to his family and kids.

Saito, is his fantasy. A man who can come and fix everything for him -- by force no less. he can make a call, he can let him be with his kids. how? by Cobb convincing an heir to a corporate kingdom, to break it up into less powerful entities. How convenient. Cobb;s ticket to his family is by breaking up the establishment: convincing a corporate titan, the future runner of an international empire, to lay off, for lack of a term, and demagnify its hold of Cobbs everyday life. This is cobbs dream, a man to come sweep him and save him. Saito asks him to take a leap of faith, and cobb does... for a man in order to break up an empire first, family and guilt next. He cannot go back unless he takes care of his hecktic work situation and he cant take care of the work situation(by breaking apart the oppressive companies ---the inception mission) until he can deak with his guilt.

The whole movie has a continuous loop theme. 1.the endless staircase 2. the recurring characters 3. most importantly, the clockwise depiction of a dream Cobb scribbled to Ariande, in her dream, of a mind constantly processiong and creating in a loop. Cobb then draws a line saying "this is what we need you to do, create, so the mark can process". This line is what the movie is. Cobb processing his situation above the surface (not in the movie) and creating more based on that procession below the surface (what is shown in this movie). It is prefect how the movie, like a clock, basiclly ends where it began, on the 12, on the beach in Japan, but like a clock, the hand may still be on the same number but it is in a different time, not 12am but 12 pm. Saito is old, relecting now Cobbs anti-hero, the opposite of Saitos early depiction of a fantasy. Old and alone, regretting his inaction is saito, just like he told cobb not to be.

He is in his deep limbo here, on the beach, washed ashore on the coast of japan. his own mission to save, within himself, his sanity, is complete with the inception into fischer. He can go to his kids again, and not have to work. The totem spins, and just when it wobbles, the movie ends. It's not important, Cobb doesn't care anymore. He will stay in this state with his kids to leave reality and responsibility of work and fam.

The top - the top is cobbs totem all along, Not Mals. Why? The only totem not shown in the movie is either Cobbs or Mals. Many think the top is not cobbs, due to obvious scenes where it clearly shows her owning it. However, throughout the whole movie, Mal is a projection by Cobb. She is the only one guaranteed to not be in the movie. In no way is she hooked up to the machine on any level. Since the movie is a dream and all the figures in it are projections, Cobb can know their totems since he created them in his mind, whether his subconscious self knows about them or not. Since Mal enterred the dream with Cobb on the same level, and is now, one can argue, awake, Cobb's subconscious doesn;t know his wife's totem because she never showed it to him in reality. So, when he, in his limbo, projects his wife, his closest thing to him, he renders his token as hers since, when they entered the dream, he had no clue what she would use to know reality. By him projecting his wife to lock the totem safe in a vault, he is convincing himself on a deeply subconscious level that his wife's dream of them to be together and not have him jet setting for work are unrealistic (since in that dream they made in limbo they were together always). He then spins the top and changes reality to make her believe this is not possible. This is him trying to convince himself his work is worth it. He ends up regretting it because his wife jumps off a ledge because of this.

By spinning this deepest level top, his whole perception of a totem being a link to reality. On his deepest level, he changed the meaning to what a top spinning means. So when his wife jumps off the ledge and the top is still, it is his reality since he convinced himself it is. He is confused, just as his wife said, just as ariande said, just like michael caine said (sorry forgot his name), and his totem lost meaning. So at the very end, when the top spins and wobbles a bit, He is in a fantasy land, but it doesn't matter. He walks away to join his kids in a state he wants to be real and convinces himself to be, although it is not. He is in limbo.

how is that? well, the way the top wobbles is telling. nolan could have cut the scene at any time after the wobble, but only does when the top is perfectly upright. Of course, when filming, the top eventually fell, but when the screen is cut is totally arbitrary and the top looks as if it will recover. It is purposely vague, because this is scence is vague, even to Cobb, but it doesnt matter sinec he convinced himself to be able to accept the guilt of alienating his wife for work, at least in his make believe state. His kids, he can have now that the corporation is broken up and work is done. When he is in reality, he may have to quit his job, but for now all good.

why are the kids different? they are slightly different in dress and in positioning in the final scene which is extremely telling. Since in cobbs mind, he has not seen his kids in some time when he finally does his brain knows to render them a little differnt. However, his brain only has that one image to work with, so the alterations are ever so slight, but not enough to probably reflect reality, since he cannot.

who is ellen paige supposed to be. well, ellen paige is his own representation of a female young Cobb. A young Cobb, after college, would question cobbs actions constantly and and play counter to his actions. She is a flat one dimentional character, as is his wife, since they are projection by cobb to convince himself conflictiong things. They bother question if he views reality correctly and oppose his actions. They are made by a man to oppose a man, so its not deep. However, the college kid is described as being being "even better than"cobb was at her craft. the kid is his old self asking why do you do these things? old self knows. he views her as his better self.

...um, ok.

No offense but I think this is way to much digging into things that don't need digging into. Also there are far too many assumptions here.

In my opinion, to figure out what happened, you need to keep things as simple as possible and use only facts.

Why would Cobb be portraying himself as a college girl, for example? What would that accomplish. Why not a captain of a college Ice Hockey Team while he was at it?

jay77snipa wrote:No offense but I think this is way to much digging into things that don't need digging into. Also there are far too many assumptions here.

In my opinion, to figure out what happened, you need to keep things as simple as possible and use only facts.

Why would Cobb be portraying himself as a college girl, for example? What would that accomplish. Why not a captain of a college Ice Hockey Team while he was at it?
Oh of course no offense, I posted this more for a possible discussion than anything else.

He was a college architect, as was his wife. He is using another female perspective to analyze what might have gone wrong in his head.

To this point, it fits with the fact that no women in this movie are more complex than just people questioning him, which in my opinion, confirms the fact that this whole thing is a dream (I went deeper to talk about why the dream might be as it is,which is getting out of the movie, something you shouldn't do, but the fact that people will take the time to analize this movie so much is a tribute to nolan) . I;m bulding more upon that premise than probably should be, and I acknowledge that in my presentation of this theory. totally different, just for fun

thanks for your comment!

NolNolan wrote:
jay77snipa wrote:No offense but I think this is way to much digging into things that don't need digging into. Also there are far too many assumptions here.

Oh of course no offense, I posted this more for a possible discussion than anything else.

He was a college architect, as was his wife. He is using another female perspective to analyze what might have gone wrong in his head.

To this point, it fits with the fact that no women in this movie are more complex than just people questioning him, which in my opinion, confirms the fact that this whole thing is a dream (I went deeper to talk about why the dream might be as it is,which is getting out of the movie, something you shouldn't do, but the fact that people will take the time to analize this movie so much is a tribute to nolan) . I;m bulding more upon that premise than probably should be, and I acknowledge that in my presentation of this theory. totally different, just for fun

thanks for your comment!
Hey, it was a fantastic movie and I have no problem discussing it in any way. I have decided that Cobb is in reality because the movie sits well with me that way. In the end scene when Cobb and Saito are back looking at each other and Saito says 'I've seen one of these before' (looking at the top) the look that overcomes Cobb's face is priceless. To me, that is the best moment of the movie and the moment that confirms Cobb is headed back to reality. Cobb has finally remembered who Saito is and what he is here to do. The look on his face is one of pure astonishment.

I like this, though some of it is a little far from direct evidence. I have been asking myself for quite some time what the inception being performed on Cobb was and was it successful? As it seems to me that Cobb was the target, not Fischer. There are strong hints that Mal incepted marriage on Cobb, and in your framework that might mean that Cobb subconsciously suspects that his marriage wasn't really his idea, but forced on him by Mal, just like the the pressures of corporate life are forced on him by cultural expectations.

NolNolan wrote:So with that in mind, I will say the whole movie is a dream and an exaggeration of a fully relatable problem many fathers faec with their children in the corporate day of age
I totally agree with you. To strenghten this point of view there is the hint of Robert Fischer. Homonym of the famous chess master Bobby Fischer. Passport cancelled in 2004, and his father ran away when he was 2 years old in 1945... totally fits with your remark.

There is no reality in the movie, only projections. See my other posts.