World Box Office: $825 milllion

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

fun facts
-this is over twice it's budget
-this make the film money (103 mil) because
budget+advertising= 260 mil

#1fan wrote:fun facts
I'm glad it is, I would have like it to end with 500

OVERMAN wrote:
I'm glad it is, I would have like it to end with 500
I think it will settle just around 600 actually.

How come you don't consider the fact, that about 50% of the box-office gross is shared by the studio and theater owners? This leaves only $95 mil to WB of the US gross, and much less worldwide (since the studio share there is about 20-30%, I think). So the movie is far from making money yet. Although I do honestly wish (and hope) that in the future "Inception" will get huge financial success. It really deserves universal acclaim and praise.

How do you know its 50%? That sounds like bullcrap, no way studios can make back their money when theaters are taking 50% of their profit.

e-lex wrote:
How come you don't consider the fact, that about 50% of the box-office gross is shared by the studio and theater owners? This leaves only $95 mil to WB of the US gross, and much less worldwide (since the studio share there is about 20-30%, I think). So the movie is far from making money yet. Although I do honestly wish (and hope) that in the future "Inception" will get huge financial success. It really deserves universal acclaim and praise.
you are wrong... From US OW gross its only about 10-20% goes to theatres. In other countries there are different percentages, but only in Russia about 40% of gross goes to theatres

Theaters are not making money on showing films, they are making money on selling popcorn and candy.

We already have two or three box office thread. Can we try and keep this stuff in one thread? lol

Theaters make money on selling seats :). As for the percentage I mentioned, let me give you a couple of top google links to prove I don't invent anything: The first is Edward Epstein's article where the amount of theater's income is considered as even bigger than 50% (http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/Grossslate.htm), the second proves that when profit is calculated it goes roughly as 50/50 between studio and theater (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.php), and the third gives the outline of the mystery behind the box-office buzz (http://www.slate.com/id/2124078). Again, it was just what was mentioned on the first page of google search, so if you dig deep enough you might learn even of some 1 bln winning blockbusters that cost studio more than 100 mln loss (strange it may sound). I don't mean to say everyone's wrong. I don't live in USA, so I can't know for sure. I just use information available in the Web and it made me believe (and you should agree that I had all reasons to believe it) that the situation is as I described it in my previous post. Anyway, here you've got the links, my conscience is clear :).