video game theory

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
My theory is that Inception isn't even about dreams; it's actually a story about a man addicted to video games.

Think about how everything in the movie appears as a video game; we have architects or "video-game designers" that create the levels, Cobb and his crew of slackers play as the heroes of the video game while they lay down in lawn chairs in Dom's basement. Doesn't the suitcase look like a video game console, with the IV tubes acting as wires for the game controllers? Each character gets to play in their own level.. the levels themselves get more difficult as you go on (more intricate designs and tougher enemies to battle).. the projections are simply AI. We have a city level complete with a car chase through the city. Level two is a hotel with a zero-gravity boss fight. Level 3 is the snow level where the player gets to ski, ride a snow-mobile, snipe enemies, and throw grenades. Level 4 is the final battle where the main hero faces off against the final boss, Mal and rescue the damsel in distress, Fischer. Finally the player is rewarded with an ending scene (Inception completed. Cobb reunited with kids) and then roll credits. In reality Cobb is a laid off employee for a video-game company (note the ragged suit and stubble), whose wife took his kids and left him because he would spend his days playing video-games instead of bringing home the bacon. Inception is basically about a group of hard-core gamers living out their fantasies in virtual reality. Mr. Saito is the developer for the newest video game, Inception, which Dom is offered a new job of testing.. this game is said to be the most difficult to complete however, so he must assemble his team of gamers and isolate themselves from the rest of society in a 747 in which they have 10 hours to complete the game.
Last edited by JonnyT23 on July 25th, 2010, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

are you serious

A lot of movies could be explained with "video game theory".
But are you Armond White? Inception is much more complex than that.

Funny enough, I had the same theory, as a joke. I decided they must be on easy, because the security team has terrible aim.

wtf?? LOL :lol: but for a moment i think it make sense,nicely thought!!!

EnzoTheBaker wrote:Funny enough, I had the same theory, as a joke. I decided they must be on easy, because the security team has terrible aim.
:lol:

So many interpretations, so many seeds sown.

This works. The clincher that this may be deliberate for me is that the snowscape level is based on the scene from On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which is also a level in the computer game Goldeneye.

The dreamer in each dream has abilities similar to a gamer - evasive driving, firearms, explosives... Maybe they're dreaming their expertise or maybe they're gaming.

Parallels with ExistenZ, watch that again and it supports this interpretation.

If one had to choose whether the film is about dreams or video games, no doubt it is about the former. However that's a false choice. A "video game" reading is one of a number of readings that could be argued for, I think. Perhaps it's more of a stretch than, say, the "film production" reading, but there are quite a few elements in the film that recall video games.

I know this is a film about making a sandwich. Ariande writes the recipe, Eames makes the ingredients and Cobb puts it all together. The levels are metaphors for the different layers of sandwhich, the snow level being the mayo. Mal represents Cobbs subconscious guilt because he is on a diet.

arizonabay wrote:I know this is a film about making a sandwich. Ariande writes the recipe, Eames makes the ingredients and Cobb puts it all together. The levels are metaphors for the different layers of sandwhich, the snow level being the mayo. Mal represents Cobbs subconscious guilt because he is on a diet.

I think you're right about the sandwich, but wrong about the components. Yusuf is the bread. Arthur is the lettuce. Eames is the bacon. Ariadne's the tomato. Fischer's the chicken. Saito's the mustard and Cobb is the butter. Nash was the mayo!

Seriously though, dreams, video games, films, they're all alternate realities, and that's what this film is very much about.