This is My Problem With Saito's Kicks

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
paladinryan wrote:
Although there is a significant gap between when Ariadne comes back to the Level 3 dream state versus when it is finally blown so obviously that leaves some inconsistency in the movie (which is OK, this movie rocks anyways).
You need to watch this scene more carefully next time. Eames (and Fischer I believe) leaves level 3 before her because it's already collapsing. She gets back to the snow fortress when its at the end of its collapsing, and she's the last person to leave that level. I noticed this the first time I saw it.
This was something I noticed the last time I saw Inception and I did see the timing gap. Now that I'm thinking about it though...It could just be that they made sure to keep a few extra seconds in that shot since they focused on Ariadne quite a bit as they were syncing all the kicks. Obviously the more time they had at each shot, the more the audience could get the idea that she was coming out of it.

I'm sorry that should say "I noticed that the SECOND" time I watched it. Wasn't trying to sound like a jerk.

Right, I think we're supposed to follow Ariadne out of the dreamworld in that scene since we follow her into it through the whole movie. However, I think it also shows that the time for a kick is extended. Remember, when she's in Mal's tower Leo tells her Eames is blowing up the supports and then says "Take the kick." She has time enough to say "Don't get lost!" ala Insomnia, before she dives off the building.

Fischer also has time to get thrown off the building while he's being restarted.

Leo does NOT take the kick at the beginning of the movie. He gets wet instead. :-P That's the third way to wake up, besides falling and dying, it seems. Kicks can be resisted, just like we can resist waking up (or force ourselves to wake up) in a dream.

There's no logical inconsistency--it's what we've all experienced in our dreams.

The purpose of tipping the person is to make them fall in the dream. So kicks are always synchronized if you think about it that way.

Len
Ari can't get "kicked" out of limbo if the sedative is still in effect, so I think the most plausible explanation is that she comes out of limbo (up through the levels) only have the sedative wears off, which is timed (when the kicks are all sync'ed). That's why she ladders up the levels when and how she does, and this explains why Eames had to set the charges to wake her from limbo.

I can only presume that Fischer was somehow brought out of Limbo to the snow level with the defibrillator (which still makes no sense to me).

paladinryan wrote:I'm sorry that should say "I noticed that the SECOND" time I watched it. Wasn't trying to sound like a jerk.

Right, I think we're supposed to follow Ariadne out of the dreamworld in that scene since we follow her into it through the whole movie. However, I think it also shows that the time for a kick is extended. Remember, when she's in Mal's tower Leo tells her Eames is blowing up the supports and then says "Take the kick." She has time enough to say "Don't get lost!" ala Insomnia, before she dives off the building.

Fischer also has time to get thrown off the building while he's being restarted.

Leo does NOT take the kick at the beginning of the movie. He gets wet instead. :-P That's the third way to wake up, besides falling and dying, it seems. Kicks can be resisted, just like we can resist waking up (or force ourselves to wake up) in a dream.

There's no logical inconsistency--it's what we've all experienced in our dreams.

The purpose of tipping the person is to make them fall in the dream. So kicks are always synchronized if you think about it that way.
either water is the other way to boot you out, or he simply drowned inside the palace lol

The defib doesn't give him the kick: it makes it possible for Ariadne to kick him off the roof by reviving him. If he wasn't alive in the previous level, then he would just die and wake up (or remain in Limbo).

paladinryan wrote:
Although there is a significant gap between when Ariadne comes back to the Level 3 dream state versus when it is finally blown so obviously that leaves some inconsistency in the movie (which is OK, this movie rocks anyways).
You need to watch this scene more carefully next time. Eames (and Fischer I believe) leaves level 3 before her because it's already collapsing. She gets back to the snow fortress when its at the end of its collapsing, and she's the last person to leave that level. I noticed this the first time I saw it.
yep this guy is right

Dan_87 wrote:
paladinryan wrote:I'm sorry that should say "I noticed that the SECOND" time I watched it. Wasn't trying to sound like a jerk.

either water is the other way to boot you out, or he simply drowned inside the palace lol
Good point. In my mind, water is just another type of kick. So in my opinion he "rode it out".

People are complaining about there being no strict rules for kicks laid out, but I think the versatility of the different kicks (falling, water, dying)--opens up more possibilities for the world Nolan made...i.e., in a sequel or spin off.

Because the "kick" would be at the climax of any further exploration of this world. They need to be creative in the future. He can't box himself in.

Nolan wrote an 80 page treatment about dream thieves. It's possible there's more there to explore. I would love to see that treatment.

I just don't really agree with the logic of resisting a kick. I think a fall kick has more of dealing with a impact than the fall itself...aka, the van, the elevator, not too sure about the tower, but for sure the chair and water.

I do not like the fact that the movie sets up its own logic and implies it wants you to follow it, but that logic, no matter which way you turn it, gets broken. It's not open ended, unless there is no way to show an error in that direction, but that is just not the case here. I think that, especially for me, I'm just too nit picky on the finer details that do show faults with the bigger (movie logic) details.

Yeah, see this just gets all kinds of wierd..