Never Wake Up

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

wow that was a remarkable article. I think I believe it. :wtf:

Me too. When you think back on the film, you see what Devin's talking about. Plus, here's another review that basically sees the same thing (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/mov ... ption.html).

I mean, we all mentioned when this film started shooting how remarkable Leo looks like Nolan. After that article, it makes perfectly clear that that was no accident. It was totally intentional. Hell, Tom Hardy mentions in a few articles that he based his character off of Nolan. Leo, the same in some respects.

Again, this is the film Nolan's been wanting to make. All the roads...all the films...all the ideas in his films have lead to this personal story about him and his idea about filmmaking...which has always been there if you look at his films. I mean, my feelings about Nolan as a filmmaker are based on how he constructs his film more than the actual story within the film he's telling. I marvel at how he's telling it...the technical aspects of his films. To me, that's part of the Nolan experience.

Look at the Prestige. If you really think about the film, it's a comment on cinema itself...what it can be.

This is why you can look at Inception as the closing chapter of Nolan's trilogy (Memento, The Prestige, and Inception).

I hadn't considered Inception as metaphor for the actual act of filmmaking, but now that Devin's explained it, it's pretty genius. :lol:

I do agree that the discussion over whether the ending is real or not isn't all that important, because it isn't real to begin with. It can't be - it's a movie. But the fact that it's so important to people is very telling. Heck, there's even a thread (not started by me! :lol: ) in the figure skating forum I frequent about "the ending of Inception." :lol:

Anita,

That's the genius of this film and Nolan. Discussions are popping up everywhere. The most resilient parasite...the idea.

What are the freaking odds that this gets a Criterion release?!

Jumpman wrote:.

This is why you can look at Inception as the closing chapter of Nolan's trilogy (Memento, The Prestige, and Inception).
I think this is true indeed,but i hope he will make more films like this,and not going over to only making adaption movies.

I was toying with the idea that it was a film about film-making (although I still don't think that is all it is). The scene in Ad's first dream session in Paris is really taking about the nature of scenes in a film and editing, the way we accept this illusion as reality. I'm starting to think this may be one of the greatest films ever made - I'm mean does any other mainstream film use the art of editing as a narrative and thematic device unto itself, rather than just a way aof stringing scenes together in a coherent fashion? That is quite a feat IMO.

arizonabay wrote:I was toying with the idea that it was a film about film-making (although I still don't think that is all it is). The scene in Ad's first dream session in Paris is really taking about the nature of scenes in a film and editing, the way we accept this illusion as reality. I'm starting to think this may be one of the greatest films ever made - I'm mean does any other mainstream film use the art of editing as a narrative and thematic device unto itself, rather than just a way aof stringing scenes together in a coherent fashion? That is quite a feat IMO.
I think that's what Nolan's been doing the whole time. :lol:

It's certainly why I find him particularly fascinating as a director. He uses the very construction of a movie for thematic and story uses.

@ BatMotor - The Prestige isn't an original film. Its an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Christopher Priest.

Anita18 wrote: I think that's what Nolan's been doing the whole time. :lol:

It's certainly why I find him particularly fascinating as a director. He uses the very construction of a movie for thematic and story uses.
Yeah I suppose so. I don't think it has been so thorough as with Inception though.