Character names

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Rob wrote:
Reception wrote:Dom Cobb is Dummkopf in German meaning dolt or idiot.
Yeah, where I live we almost really spell it like "Dom Cobb". Very funny. :lol:
exactly! :D rofl

moz
Great suggestions from everyone. I also instantly thought Dom Cobb resembled dummkopf or, more closely, the Dutch version which is domkop. By the same token, however, Dom is Portuguese for "sir" or "lord", and cob is an old English word for "gang leader", so there is ambiguity there.

I like the Bobby Fischer parallel but there is also the fact that the artist Escher's first name was Maurits, hence Maurice Fisher.

This hasnt been mentioned. In the Bible, Cobb discovered a ladder to heaven, which mirrors Cobb's dream of getting to see his children.

Dream Thief wrote:This hasnt been mentioned. In the Bible, Cobb discovered a ladder to heaven, which mirrors Cobb's dream of getting to see his children.
Are you thinking of Jacob?

billh777 wrote:
Dream Thief wrote:This hasnt been mentioned. In the Bible, Cobb discovered a ladder to heaven, which mirrors Cobb's dream of getting to see his children.
Are you thinking of Jacob?
I am :lol:

"Saito" may be alluding to "cyto" which means "hollow" like a container..

and the analogy Nolan might be making here is with the capsid of a virus

beeftony wrote:
Guzguz wrote:I still can't figure out what the numbers are for (528 941) someone an idea??
They mean nothing. Those are just the first six numbers Fischer thought of off the top of his head in the first layer. As they travel deeper, his subconscious starts assigning meaning to those numbers. His room in the hotel was 528, for example. When they get to the third layer, it actually is the combination for the safe, because he made it that way. It's a subtle commentary on how nothing in the dream has any meaning beyond what we impose, which is a common problem one runs into in dream interpretation because the subconscious can assign meaning to anything.

So, there's your answer. I guess.
528hz is also the love frequenzy. But somewhere here is an extra thread about this code!

The names of the children are James and Philippa. James are Philip were Christian apostles, so the presence of the children at the end of the film ("on the cliff") but not in limbo (the mortal world/beach) supports reading the film as Cobb's real or imagined journey towards faith, with the ending intended as allegorical heaven sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6rLEzrWzCw
"I'm surprised no one has mentioned Robert Fischer = Chessmaster Bobby Fisher. That and Ariadne's totem are making me wonder if there were more chess references I may have missed."
Interesting! For gaming symbolism there is the checkerboard pattern of the floor in the first dream sequence, and Arthur's loaded die....

Also the first letters of Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur/Ariadne, Mal, Saito spell out DREAMS, if anyone didn't notice or mention :D