For Those Who Have Questions

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
kyuen1 wrote:Because there was some argument about whether Level 3 was created by Eames or by Fischer.
Level 3 is not created by Fischer, he is made to believed he created it by 'Mr Charles' to investigate Browning's betrayal.

Wow! i am learning a lot and getting confused at the same time in this thread... but i have 3 questions that i just cant seem to figure out

1) Why didnt they start floating around in level 3 if they were in level 2?

2) I think i was too busy figuring out what was going on when this was happening but why did Arthur move them all to the elevator instead of the original plan?

3) isnt it when you kill youself, you wake up in a previous level? isnt that why they jumped off the building in the fourth level? so they would wake up in level 3 to experience the kicks?

Thanks

phil wrote:Wow! i am learning a lot and getting confused at the same time in this thread... but i have 3 questions that i just cant seem to figure out

2) I think i was too busy figuring out what was going on when this was happening but why did Arthur move them all to the elevator instead of the original plan?

3) isnt it when you kill youself, you wake up in a previous level? isnt that why they jumped off the building in the fourth level? so they would wake up in level 3 to experience the kicks?

Thanks
1)I second this question, why?

2) Because he had to work out a way to create an impact in a weightless environment. He couldn't drop them so he used the shaft to launch them upwards

3) err...I'm going to have to watch this again. :lol: but I'm pretty sure you are right. But wait ...what about Limbo?? It made perfect sense when I was watching it ...

phil wrote:Wow! i am learning a lot and getting confused at the same time in this thread... but i have 3 questions that i just cant seem to figure out

Thanks
1. Only the stuff you can feel affects what's going on in the levels below. They could not feel themselves floating because they were, well... floating.

2. Arthur's original plan for the kick (blowing out the floor of the hotel room) wouldn't work because there was no gravity. How is the floor supposed to fall if everything's floating? So he moved everyone to the elevator, snapped the cords on the elevator, and blew the elevator upwards so that, instead of them falling down, the elevator would fly up. This simulated the feeling of gravity and served as the kick.

3. Yes, however, because they were under sedation, they couldn't die without slipping into limbo. So yes, Fischer's falling killed him, thus kicking him to level 3. However, Ariadne "jumped" because she was being kicked up to level 3 by the collapse of the snow fortress.

Thanks
1) Okay, here are some physics concern. Free fall is falling down due to gravity, however in 2nd layer it becomes floating effect, floating effect in 2nd layer could not be any effect to 3rd layer. Unless it is a free falling in 2nd layer, then 3rd layer would have floating effect.

2) Arthur did not expect free falling take place. So he has to move the rest into elevator to produce a momentum due to explosion to push to elevator, resulting in a kick that is sensable to 3rd layer.

3) it has to be met with the kick. If they do it before or after, they will end up in limbo. This is due to heavy sedation in reality world

Sungyungtey wrote:1) Okay, here are some physics concern. Free fall is falling down due to gravity, however in 2nd layer it becomes floating effect, floating effect in 2nd layer could not be any effect to 3rd layer. Unless it is a free falling in 2nd layer, then 3rd layer would have floating effect.
Ahhh...yes I did think that, but it didn't feel quite right to me but yeah ...derrrr... you can't feel weightlessness because you are, you know, weightless. :oops:

Sungyungtey wrote:3) it has to be met with the kick. If they do it before or after, they will end up in limbo. This is due to heavy sedation in reality world
Sorry Sunyungtey, can you kindly elaborate on your previous take of the 'level 4 back to 3' scene again?

Previously you cited that Eames blowing up snow set was the kick for Fischer and Ariadne to get back from level 4. What do you make of Fischer and Adriadne's nosedive?

toyshy wrote:
Sungyungtey wrote:3) it has to be met with the kick. If they do it before or after, they will end up in limbo. This is due to heavy sedation in reality world
Sorry Sunyungtey, can you kindly elaborate on your previous take of the 'level 4 back to 3' scene again?

Previously you cited that Eames blowing up snow set was the kick for Fischer and Ariadne to get back from level 4. What do you make of Fischer and Adriadne's nosedive?
Hmmm, I was under the impression that Eames was blowing up the fort because it was important for all of them to get blown back to Level 2 at the same time. And Ariadne and Fischer were killing themselves in Level 4 in order to return to Level 3 in time to wake up before the explosion in the snow.

now a new question surfaced

if Fischer was indeed killed in the mountain fortress and was in limbo, why did killing him in level 4/limbo only take him back to level 3(the mountains), and not straight up to the plane?

pay attention to the scene where Cobb and Mal suicide on the railroad, they woke up in their home

Dan_87 wrote:now a new question surfaced

if Fischer was indeed killed in the mountain fortress and was in limbo, why did killing him in level 4/limbo only take him back to level 3(the mountains), and not straight up to the plane?

pay attention to the scene where Cobb and Mal suicide on the railroad, they woke up in their home
I don't think that it is possible to "skip" any levels (e.g. go straight from Level 4 to Level 1, etc.) In then end, technically, Cobb and Saito can go straight from Limbo to the plane simply because all the other levels had already collapsed and the sedative had worn off. Otherwise, the whole dream thing is linear, like the infinite mirror effect that Ariadne makes in the beginning in Paris. You have to pass through one to reach the next.

The thing about Cobb and Mal is tricky. Some people speculate that they actually went through many Levels of deaths that just weren't shown. But I think that they created limbo for themselves at their Level 1; even though they were so lost in their dream, they could still get back to reality fairly easily because there was no sedative or other levels to get through.