Interpretation Of The Ending

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
zexy wrote:
The key to waking out of Limbo is realizing that you are in a fake world and you want to get out. That was the whole point of Cobb using Inception on his wife otherwise he would have just killed her and woken her up.
Good catch. I always wondered why Cobbs didn't just shoot Mal. However which is the part where it was said that you have to realize you're in a fake world and want to get out? I always thought Saito and Cobbs would always be able to get out of Limbo when the drug wears off.

I think the idea of limbo is abit confusing. Mal and Cobbs explored extremely deep into their minds, till they reached the edge of their subconscious but i don't think they were ever in "limbo". However Saito was trapped at the edge of his subconscious because he died in the dreams; therefore he was in the state of "limbo".
It might be due to the fact that even drug wears off and Saito woke up in reality, he might thought that this is a fake world because he thought Limbo was real. Cobb traveled to remind Saito what he used to said, so that he knows he lives in fake world, not real.

zexy wrote:
The key to waking out of Limbo is realizing that you are in a fake world and you want to get out. That was the whole point of Cobb using Inception on his wife otherwise he would have just killed her and woken her up.
Good catch. I always wondered why Cobbs didn't just shoot Mal. However which is the part where it was said that you have to realize you're in a fake world and want to get out? I always thought Saito and Cobbs would always be able to get out of Limbo when the drug wears off.

I think the idea of limbo is abit confusing. Mal and Cobbs explored extremely deep into their minds, till they reached the edge of their subconscious but i don't think they were ever in "limbo". However Saito was trapped at the edge of his subconscious because he died in the dreams; therefore he was in the state of "limbo".
That's the annoying part as Nolan left Limbo really really ambiguous. My conclusion in regards to having a want of getting out of Limbo, to me anyway, seems to be the only one that fits into the story. The want is necessary otherwise you would just stay in Limbo and the realization is necessary otherwise you think it's reality. The realization though is necessary on more than one level it seems. Your mind has to truly believe that Limbo is fake, hence the whole Inception on Mal otherwise again he would have just killed her or just flat out kept telling her that Limbo is fake. That is why it's so dangerous because people at that point truly can't distinguish reality or possibly don't want to.

I just saw it, and I think I need to sleep or either see it again.

You are good, Mr. Nolan.

BTW, my first visit to the spoiler section. Feels good I can come here now after seeing it (I didn't find out about any spoilers prior to seeing it, maybe that's why I'm a little more lost than all of you, too.)

IMO, once a person enters Limbo, they could always get out of it but only once the drug wears off. The problem of dying in dreams under the high dosage of the drugs is that it could leave you in a coma state. So being kicked from Limbo is possible but you'd be in a coma or something like that.

So IMO, I don't know!! :lol: But seriously, part of me thinks that it really did happen. As when the drugs wear off, Cobb had just the right amount of time to remind Old Saito of their deal. And Cobb wasn't dead for that long compared to Saito who died in stage 3 of the dream. Cobb died in stage 1, so the amount of time dead would be less compared to if you die in stage 3. So as soon as Cobb tells Old Saito of the deal, the drugs wear of. After that, we see Cobb waking up and Saito calling the authorities. Plus judging by the reactions of his team, they succeeded in their mission. And Cobb finally gets to 'home'.

On the other hand, there's a theory were Cobb is still stuck in dream state. Because of drowning in stage 1 of the dream state, Cobb would be stuck in Limbo. Although he could be awake when the drugs wear off, he might be in a coma state. Therefore still be dreaming as people in coma are reported to still be dreaming. So, at this coma state, Cobb might have created a dream where everything went according to plan; the mission went well with Fischer and that he finally goes 'home'.

Agree?
Last edited by mnasyriq on July 16th, 2010, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

thisman wrote:Also, if Cobb and Saito weren't to wake on the plane, the entire operation would have been a failure as the rest of the team having awoken would be unable to revive the two in mid-flight. The deception would be revealed to Fischer, the evidence is all there on the plane to charge not just Cobb but the entire team. Cobb would not sacrifice every other character by not succeeding in bringing Saito back.
The operation wouldn't be a failure even if Saito and Cobb were in limbo. The operation was made to plant an idea into Fischer. The seed was planted and even if the two had died, as seen in the end of Level 1, the idea blossomed on its own in Fischer's mind. The two dying wouldn't change anything.

Also, do remember that Saito bought the entire airlines before hand. Even if Saito died, the crew would probably have had hid the evidence for him.

Eames wrote:Also, do remember that Saito bought the entire airlines before hand. Even if Saito died, the crew would probably have had hid the evidence for him.
Being in limbo doesn't mean death in reality, Saito was shot in level 1 dream world. I remotely remembered Ariadne asking what will happen to Saito if he dies, something along the line of waking up in a zombified state and not being able to recall his prior agreement with Cobb.

toyshy wrote:
Eames wrote:Also, do remember that Saito bought the entire airlines before hand. Even if Saito died, the crew would probably have had hid the evidence for him.
Being in limbo doesn't mean death in reality, Saito was shot in level 1 dream world. I remotely remembered Ariadne asking what will happen to Saito if he dies, something along the line of waking up in a zombified state and not being able to recall his prior agreement with Cobb.
Yeah I know. Eames said something along the line of having your brain fried if you died here, IIRC.

I was just explaining based on the post I quoted that had the two not woken up, it wouldn't have any effect on the plan.

I think Cobb reached home finally. The top was clearly spinning out of control and was just about to fall onto the table when the shot ended. Just Nolan trying to be clever there and give us fans something to talk about. :-)

The 'trapped in a dream' ending would have been the clichéd ending. I don't think Nolan, of all directors, would stoop so low.

apw
Interesting to hear what everyone says but my first thought was that he was back in the real world.