The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
If Inception isn't nominated in the 10 categories.... lmao. :lol:

GunRanger wrote:
Bueller wrote:Wasn't Winter's Bone considered a big Oscar contender? That got pretty mediocre to poor reviews over here. My point being, nobody's knows how good these films are going to be until they come out. Which is a point I realise has been repeated ad nauseum already but I thought an example of a film with a lot of Oscar might help a bit.
"Over here" meaning where exactly? In the US it has received great reviews. Jennifer Lawrence is likely getting nominated but the film probably will be overlooked.
The UK. Could be a culture thing, but nevertheless none of the reviews I read for it were impressed with the film as a whole, although I don't remember any complaints about Lawrence's performance.
Why post this shit over and over on Nolanfans.com (that's Nolanfans.com) Yes, we get it - what you know about acting, character development, pacing, directing and so forth is far superior to our knowledge... And for the love of god, how many times must you point out which film is superior to Inception or who will (yes you know it all) win the oscars, even though you often haven't seen the films yet..... but of course, you do have seen the trailers so with your amazing gifts thats more than enough right?
I have to agree with you here, although Talli isn't the only culprit. I don't have an issue with people criticizing Inception - this board would be boring if all the posts were along the lines of 'omg nolan is teh best!!!11' - but there are some posters who seem to be deliberately out to antagonize or appear superior.

I'm afraid that Inception might not even get a Best Picture nomination because of its rather apolitical subject matter and relatively absurd sci-fi premise. The main reason why Avatar and D-9 were nominated last year was because they both touched upon controversial and timely political and cultural issues. It is feasible to say that neither of those two really offered any mature insights on militarism, capitalism, racism, xenophobia, social segregation, etc. They barely touched on those themes, therefore appeared almost opportunistic (and award-baiting) simply by putting some simple action film story/characters into a complex environment.

Yet, Inception, is a Sci-Fi action genre film that has virtually no political allegory and doesn't provoke much thoughts on the more timely global issues. So I'm not even sure if the Academy (and other awards associations) are actually going to recognize it and not just believing it's just a successful summer action blockbuster that happens to be original.

I'm afraid that Inception might not even get a Best Picture nomination because of its rather apolitical subject matter and relatively absurd sci-fi premise. The main reason why Avatar and D-9 were nominated last year was because they both touched upon controversial and timely political and cultural issues. It is feasible to say that neither of those two really offered any mature insights on militarism, capitalism, racism, xenophobia, social segregation, etc. They barely touched on those themes, therefore appeared almost opportunistic (and award-baiting) simply by putting some simple action film story/characters into a complex environment.
I thought District 9 did well with its themes and emphatically disagree that it was opportunistic because the narrative was an allegory. Not every film that has something to say politically is doing so to be trendy or to Oscar-bait. But this is a discussion for another thread I think.

In any case, I think it would be a shame for Inception to ignored on that basis. I really do.

Bueller wrote:
I thought District 9 did well with its themes and emphatically disagree that it was opportunistic because the narrative was an allegory. Not every film that has something to say politically is doing so to be trendy or to Oscar-bait. But this is a discussion for another thread I think.

In any case, I think it would be a shame for Inception to ignored on that basis. I really do.
The fact that District has nothing to say or add to our understanding of those issues Blomkamp seemed to be so obsessed about, does make it look opportunistic. I wouldn't mind if it had been a more entertaining and less weighty film (and yes, scrap the overly obvious reference in the title), but I just think it is a overdone and crappy film that only gets so much acclaim because of it appears to be insightful on certain issues.

And yes, I agree with you it would be a shame for Inception to be ignored on this basis. Christopher Nolan understands and is aware of what his film is and should be: a brainy, intense, thrilling and original sci-fi action film that is made sorely for the purpose of entertainment. And Nolan succeeds at doing it, so he should be recognized.

Bueller wrote:

The Disctrict 9 allegory/metaphors/symbolism/what-have-you is really quite thin..The ideas offered in Inception are much dense and provocative.

Rob
discoveringuy wrote:I'm afraid that Inception might not even get a Best Picture nomination because of its rather apolitical subject matter and relatively absurd sci-fi premise. The main reason why Avatar and D-9 were nominated last year was because they both touched upon controversial and timely political and cultural issues. It is feasible to say that neither of those two really offered any mature insights on militarism, capitalism, racism, xenophobia, social segregation, etc. They barely touched on those themes, therefore appeared almost opportunistic (and award-baiting) simply by putting some simple action film story/characters into a complex environment.

Yet, Inception, is a Sci-Fi action genre film that has virtually no political allegory and doesn't provoke much thoughts on the more timely global issues. So I'm not even sure if the Academy (and other awards associations) are actually going to recognize it and not just believing it's just a successful summer action blockbuster that happens to be original.
Uh, I feel like puking.

I can't really understand how a stupid political allegory makes a good movie. :roll: That's not against you, I know you're just saying what's probably true and I agree.

Rob wrote:
discoveringuy wrote:I'm afraid that Inception might not even get a Best Picture nomination because of its rather apolitical subject matter and relatively absurd sci-fi premise. The main reason why Avatar and D-9 were nominated last year was because they both touched upon controversial and timely political and cultural issues. It is feasible to say that neither of those two really offered any mature insights on militarism, capitalism, racism, xenophobia, social segregation, etc. They barely touched on those themes, therefore appeared almost opportunistic (and award-baiting) simply by putting some simple action film story/characters into a complex environment.

Uh, I feel like puking.

I can't really understand how a stupid political allegory makes a good movie. :roll: That's not against you, I know you're just saying what's probably true and I agree.
i think the character arc and story made that film good...as well as the way it was shot

Jackson wrote:
I disagree with the last two. The Hurt Locker was released in the summer and it won BP. You don't need acting noms to get BP ex: slumdog millionaire.
Both of those movies won because of their subject matter. Acting noms aren't needed but they certainly help. I'm just saying that these reasons hurt Inception's chances to win.
jake088800 wrote:
Guys, of course this is all speculation, but look at last year's nominees: two sci-fi films, one of which was from a first-time director!
You do realize that there have been 5 sci-fi films nominated in for BP EVER in the Oscars, and the last one before 2009 was E.T. in 1982. Of course none have taken the big prize either. District 9 would not have been nominated if the field didn't get expanded to 10 pictures (which coincidentally you can thank Nolan for).
jake088800 wrote: Inception will surely get nominated. There are multiple factors that heavily outweigh those that you named:

1. Directed by Nolan
2. Includes a cast headlined by DiCaprio

The Academy, mark my words, will not deny Inception a Best Picture nomination after TDK was snubbed and the field moved to 10 nominees.
Of course Inception will be nominated. That should be a given. What I said was it will most likely not win BP.

Your reasons don't necessarily help it's cause either. Nolan has been notoriously snubbed quite a few times (in my opinion) in the Oscars, though that does mean possibly that the Academy will look to "make it up to him". It may have an all-star cast, but none of them particularly shined in the film and that doesn't exactly help its Oscar case. But then again you were arguing about whether it would be nominated, and I was arguing about whether it would win.

I think it's more likely to win Best Director than Best Picture.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.