Inception Review Discussion (240 total)

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
chee wrote:
waveking wrote:this from the Film School Rejects review :
On the Side: Christopher Nolan didn’t allow Hans Zimmer to see any of the film while scoring it. Knowing this, pay special attention to the music and be blown away by the results.
Written at the extreme bottom of the review.
How the F**K is that possible?? :o
Yea, I saw that too. I really doubt that, how can you make a score without seeing the movie? It's like impossible. D:
I don't remember where it was but I definitely saw an interview that mentioned this. I think it may have been a quote from the production notes. I found it shocking too, but apparently Nolan showed him the script and explained in detail the feeling that was required for each scene. I am sure Zimmer went back and did some editing to make it work better, but the bulk of the score was written without him having seen the movie.

Jumpman wrote:Extractor,

I'm with you and neo but from a slightly different angle. Memento floored me. Couple with that film and Requiem for a Dream in the same year shattered my idea of what cinema can be. I followed Nolan closely but didn't really take SERIOUS notice until he got the Batman gig...which is my favorite fictional character. I was intrigued by him directing WB's "make or break" franchise reboot.

When he nailed Batman Begins (even with the problematic third act-more Goyer than Nolan), Nolan shot to the top of my "director's worth watching" list. The Dark Knight sent that into the stratosphere. Like neo said, it's special. And for me, it's really more than that. It's what I've always wanted in the comic book genre. Lee's Hulk was the right idea but it was off balanced. Singer's X2 had the balance but didn't take it far enough. Raimi's Spider-Man 2 was close. But Knight was the culmination of those three films and then sent beyond by the ambition of Nolan. 2 years later, it stills sings to me.

And now, two years later, to even think that Nolan's has topped that film has put me at a lose for words. As always, I need to see it to believe it but the one review that did it for me and makes be believe the unbelievable is Devin's review at chud.com.

Considering how critical he has been of Nolan's previous work and for him to go that over the moon for Inception, makes me think Nolan's pulled off the opus....which is stunning to me because I truly believe Knight is the magnum opus of the comic book genre.
Devin has generally liked Nolan's films but felt they were all seriously flawed. I wouldn't necessarily argee with him but for him to go out on a limb and call the latest film by a director he hasn't been too keen on an outright masterpiece is something of a miracle. Not only was his review incredibly well written, but it pointed out exactly why I respond to Nolan. Nolan understands cinema. He understands the theatre going experience. The experience of watching something larger than life, something you've never seen before in your wildest imagination unfold before you on a giant screen. Nolan really gets the power of cinema to transport us into these stories and experiences. That people are saying Inception is Nolan's magnum opus pretty much made my head explode with excitement. I can't wait to watch the film and right my own review to Zimmer's heart-pounding score.

Chris Nolan is my favorite director of the now, but his best film to me is Memento and it's because its a character film(So is the Prestige to a lesser extent). Granted this opinion can change after INCEPTION, but I doubt that as the film seems to be a lot more plot centric. This is part of the reason Heath stood out so much in The Dark Knight. Generally his films are a bit cold and more mechanical than they are organic. I have great admiration for him still however, because it takes a special mind to craft those kind of experiences and a superb attention to detail. I still prefer a great character film, but I dearly appreciate Nolan's catalog.
Last edited by RomanM on July 6th, 2010, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RomanM wrote:Chris Nolan is my favorite director of the now, but his best film to me is Memento and it's because its a character film. Granted this opinion can change after INCEPTION, but I doubt that as the film seems to be a lot more plot centric. This is part of the reason Heath stood out so much in The Dark Knight. Generally his films are a bit cold and more mechanical than they are organic. I have great admiration for him still however, because it takes a special mind to craft those kind of experiences and a superb attention to detail. I still prefer a great character film, but I dearly appreciate Nolan's film.
Insomnia and The Prestige are character films. Batman Begins is also a character film.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
RomanM wrote:Chris Nolan is my favorite director of the now, but his best film to me is Memento and it's because its a character film. Granted this opinion can change after INCEPTION, but I doubt that as the film seems to be a lot more plot centric. This is part of the reason Heath stood out so much in The Dark Knight. Generally his films are a bit cold and more mechanical than they are organic. I have great admiration for him still however, because it takes a special mind to craft those kind of experiences and a superb attention to detail. I still prefer a great character film, but I dearly appreciate Nolan's film.
Insomnia and The Prestige are character films. Batman Begins is also a character film.
I edited my post to include The Prestige. Insomnia is as well, but it's missing something. It's not a bad film but it didn't strike me as anything special. Begins is a character film for about 2/3rds of it then it changes pace. None of them are as character focused as Memento.

neo,

"Devin has generally liked Nolan's films but felt they were all seriously flawed. I wouldn't necessarily argee with him but for him to go out on a limb and call the latest film by a director he hasn't been too keen on an outright masterpiece is something of a miracle. Not only was his review incredibly well written, but it pointed out exactly why I respond to Nolan. Nolan understands cinema. He understands the theatre going experience. The experience of watching something larger than life, something you've never seen before in your wildest imagination unfold before you on a giant screen. Nolan really gets the power of cinema to transport us into these stories and experiences. That people are saying Inception is Nolan's magnum opus pretty much made my head explode with excitement. I can't wait to watch the film and right my own review to Zimmer's heart-pounding score."

Bingo. That is why I'm almost positive Devin's absolutely right about the film. I knew Drew would love it. His Dark Knight and Prestige reviews indicate that but Devin's was really the only one I wanted to read because of his past criticisms of Nolan's work...which, like you, I didn't really agree with (still don't agree with him about The Prestige even though he gave that an 8.5/10. He's changed his mind on it...referenced in the Inception review)

As great a writer as he is (and his reviews, depending on the ambition of the film, get really down to the nitty gritty-nuts and bolts of cinema as a language.), he can be a little full of himself just to be on the other side of the argument. The Dark Knight was prime example.

Still, you're absolutely money about Nolan...and it's one of the traits of love about him. It's not some much the story or the characters but it's just how damn well his films are constructed on a technical and a narrative level. At times (Memento, The Dark Knight, and the Prestige), it's astonishing. They feel more complete than others in the game. The only ones who come close in this day and age are Scorsese, PT Anderson, Fincher, Soderbergh, and Aronofsky...with Aronofsky, Nolan, and Fincher being my tops, in term of working directors (the new breed).

RomanM wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
I edited my post to include The Prestige. Insomnia is as well, but it's missing something. It's not a bad film but it didn't strike me as anything special. Begins is a character film for about 2/3rds of it then it changes pace. None of them are as character focused as Memento.
The Prestige is just as character-focused as Memento. The difference you are noticing is that there is no true protagonist in The Prestige whereas there is one in Memento. Insomnia is also just as character-focused as Memento and The Prestige. The difference with that one is there are no plot twists. You know exactly where it's headed pretty early on.

redbird,

After the cinematic magic game that Nolan plays in The Prestige wears off, it's still remarkable how watchable it is because of these two characters. The chest game is still engaging, 4 years later.

more reviews today??? :?: :?: