Inception Review Discussion (240 total)

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
neo78956 wrote:Yeah, waiting for one page to load on those forums is like a slow agonizing death. It just never comes. Plus, I like these forums better anyways, more discussion of cinema, less of fanboy/fangirl desires to see over the top CGI finales to every comic book film. :lol:
Plus I like how George is updating the first post with reviews instead of me. :wave:

Indeed. I just know for a fact White will pan it, like he does with every movie that is good. But it is silly for people to get worked up about one or two negative reviews. I remember when The Dark Knight got a handful of negative reviews and those critics were sent death threats. Jesus people, the movie may be awesome, but death threats? You're giving all Nolan and Batman fans a bad name.
Exactly. The world is a much more interesting place because people disagree on things. If everyone agreed all the time about movies, what would there even be to talk about?

ajgoodfella7 wrote:Exactly. The world is a much more interesting place because people disagree on things. If everyone agreed all the time about movies, what would there even be to talk about?
Inception? :wtf:

postal wrote:
neo78956 wrote:
Indeed. I just know for a fact White will pan it, like he does with every movie that is good. But it is silly for people to get worked up about one or two negative reviews. I remember when The Dark Knight got a handful of negative reviews and those critics were sent death threats. Jesus people, the movie may be awesome, but death threats? You're giving all Nolan and Batman fans a bad name.
lol the negative Armond White review on Toy Story 3 has damn near 1000 angry comments on it
I think the reason White gets people worked up is that his reviews are so nonsensical and often feature incorrect information about the film's plot and/or characters (he called Hamm the antagonist of Toy Story 3) and comes up with silly, nonsensical political themes and social commentary that he thinks the film has (Toy Story 3 is a celebration of consumerism? Megan Fox staring at Jonah Hex's scars is an avant garde reflection of her own exploitation?) :think: :roll:

neo78956 wrote:
postal wrote:
neo78956 wrote:
lol the negative Armond White review on Toy Story 3 has damn near 1000 angry comments on it
I think the reason White gets people worked up is that his reviews are so nonsensical and often feature incorrect information about the film's plot and/or characters (he called Hamm the antagonist of Toy Story 3) and comes up with silly, nonsensical political themes and social commentary that he thinks the film has (Toy Story 3 is a celebration of consumerism? Megan Fox staring at Jonah Hex's scars is an avant garde reflection of her own exploitation?) :think: :roll:
OMG that sounds hilariously awesome.

Just take him as the joke he knows he is. :lol:

neo78956 wrote:
postal wrote:
neo78956 wrote:
White is a comedy genius. :lol:

I don't know why they put his reviews on RT though. That's like putting The Onion or Cracked on there.

Cristo wrote:
neo78956 wrote:

I don't know why they put his reviews on RT though. That's like putting The Onion or Cracked on there.
That is pretty much the best description/comparison of White ever. :mrgreen:

Cristo wrote:

It's because he posts real reviews whenever it's a movie nobody really cares about, or where there's mixed reviews. That's how he keeps his agreement above 50%.

This might have been missed. Writer of the In Contention review was asked some questions in the comment box and he responded to some

-on why it didn't get a perfect score

The reasoning is in the review. Not sure how to better say it. The film does a masterful job of getting you to look away when it’s at its weakest, but there are nevertheless holes and contrivances that stick out to me. It’s not fully complete as a result.

And like I said, I’ll write about Oscar potential later.

-on Marion's performance

She’s fine. Didn’t mention her in order to steer clear of that aspect of the plot, which is dense and key, but she’s good. I must say I wasn’t particularly impressed to the point that I wanted to trumpet her achievement, though, if I’m honest. RE: Cotillard, one more note. At the same time, I’ve come to expect a certain serenity and ease from Cotillard’s work. Which is, frankly, one of the highest compliments I can afford.

-on any standout performances

Danny:

-Caine is in it and gone. Nothing to write home about.

Standout supporting perf: Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I don’t usually like him but he’s smooth and cool and refined here. Tom Hardy is great, too.