528491!!

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
arizonabay wrote:
Armandhammer wrote:So it turns out that “528 491” were just random numbers sputtered out by Fischer?

What was so important about obtaining the numbers in the first place?

I know the attempted kick was set up in one of the two rooms, but other than that, can someone explain the “objective” for the whole hotel sequence, along with the importance of the numbers?
It was misdirection in order to make him think he was being kidnapped simply in order to obtain the code to a safe. Also those numbers echoed into the second layer of the dream when they turned up as hotel room numbers (nice touch).
and the safe forged by Eames in the snow fortress also use 528491 as the code...

I realized the room numbers on the first look at the numbers.

Nolan must be a fan of LOST (which uses the numbers 4,8,15,16,23,42 quite a lot)

It is also the fake number that Eames leaves fischer when he is pretending to be the blonde.

yeah.
well that number stays in his mind the entire time, hence why when you get deeper into the pysch the number becomes more important

freakybatman wrote:yeah.
well that number stays in his mind the entire time, hence why when you get deeper into the pysch the number becomes more important
And he doesn't even question what the combination to the safe is. They implanted the number so that his subconscious would tell him that it was the combination.

George wrote:Nice find :thumbup:

The trailers also show footage from the fourth floor of the hotel building, so something probably also happens in room 491 :D
I didn't read the thread (very impatient), but...

I'm 99% sure that this is because Arthur originally planted the explosives in 491, directly underneath the 5th floor room the team is sleeping in. That was the original kick. Once the gravity shifted, the kick had to be changed. So he leaves the 5th floor, goes back to the 4th floor, gets the explosives, and voila.

theweatherman wrote:
And he doesn't even question what the combination to the safe is. They implanted the number so that his subconscious would tell him that it was the combination.
exactly. the first 5 numbers that came to his mind eventually became so deep in his mind they were everything.

Dan_87 wrote:
and the safe forged by Eames in the snow fortress also use 528491 as the code...
Ahh...So thats the key to making him think the idea came from himself! They made HIM think up the combination of the fake mental safe so he thought the idea was legit. Brilliant!!

Wow, I can't believe that I missed that considering its the main part of the heist, or maybe its one of those hidden in plain sight things.

arizonabay wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:
Ahh...So thats the key to making him think the idea came from himself! They made HIM think up the combination of the fake mental safe so he thought the idea was legit. Brilliant!!

Wow, I can't believe that I missed that considering its the main part of the heist, or maybe its one of those hidden in plain sight things.
i was wondering why in level 1 they ask Fischer to blurt the first 6 numbers that crossed his mind (5,2,8,4,9,1)....

then i realize it was a trick to embed the number as "the code to the safe" in subsequent levels

brilliant, i must say

Have we seen 6 dream levels in the movie? 528491 is a 6- digit Prime number, substituting a digit for each alphabet in Inception sums to 6 (I:5,N:14,C:3 etc), the 528491 soundtrack appears at no. 6 in the album. So, the last scene was also a dream state. Or am I thinking too hard? Whatever the case, this is GEM of a movie.