Best explanation/interpretation you've read on Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I'm a huge fan of Nolan, and I always get those goosebumps moments in his films where it just HITS me like a ton of bricks: I get this movie. I get the deeper meaning behind it. I get the reason for it. And Nolan sent that message in the most genius way. Wow. It's probably different for different people, but some examples, it was when black merged into white in Memento, it was when Joker was upside down opposite of Batman and talking about human nature, their duality, gravity, etc, it was when the audience discovered the Prestige had been done on us, etc.

However, that doesn't happen for me in Inception. I loved the movie. So unique, so entertaining, but I'm not sure if I truly GET IT. I've seen it like 5 times, and I'll come up with a explanation and an underlying theme, then second-guess it the next time I watch it.

I've read many "explanations," or better yet, interpretations of Inception online, but none made an air-tight case for me. Perhaps that's the reason, obviously he intended ambiguity, but I need more.

What is the best explanation/interpretation you've read on the movie? Please link to it if possible! Thanks.

iamse7en wrote:Perhaps that's the reason, obviously he intended ambiguity, but I need more.
No you don't.

iamse7en wrote:I'm a huge fan of Nolan, and I always get those goosebumps moments in his films where it just HITS me like a ton of bricks: I get this movie. I get the deeper meaning behind it. I get the reason for it. And Nolan sent that message in the most genius way. Wow. It's probably different for different people, but some examples, it was when black merged into white in Memento, it was when Joker was upside down opposite of Batman and talking about human nature, their duality, gravity, etc, it was when the audience discovered the Prestige had been done on us, etc.

However, that doesn't happen for me in Inception. I loved the movie. So unique, so entertaining, but I'm not sure if I truly GET IT. I've seen it like 5 times, and I'll come up with a explanation and an underlying theme, then second-guess it the next time I watch it.

I've read many "explanations," or better yet, interpretations of Inception online, but none made an air-tight case for me. Perhaps that's the reason, obviously he intended ambiguity, but I need more.

What is the best explanation/interpretation you've read on the movie? Please link to it if possible! Thanks.
I'm currently working on a blog post but first things first. The top does not matter. Whether it falls or not is not the "answer" to the movie. As The Prestige states "You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled." and it is awesome to look for the answer but the sense of mystery is gone once you know what I'm about to post. You'll gain a higher appreciation however. View the film front he lense of it's a film about filmmaking and Nolan is Cobb. The Inception is working on 4 different levels. The most obvious is Robert Fischer, then it's also working on you (the audience), then Cobb himself, and finally Nolan himself. Nolan has constructed in such a way that it's literally showing you what's being done to you with ought you being aware of it. It's absolutely BRILLIANT. But the final moments mean that Nolan/Cobb have finally moved on. He has let go of these ideas that keep penetrating his art. Mal is a stand in for all of his women characters that are motivation. The dark parts of his mind are not real and they're coming into his art over and over in his movies. The ending tell us that Nolan has moved on. The inception on himself has worked. Since he simply doesn't care anymore he can create movies that are more honest and will likely involve new topics like HIS CHILDREN, a la Interstellar!

Hope that helps a bit. Like I said, I'm working on a blog post that explains it all and why it's such a cinematic achievement.

Nolan creates the world of the dream. Nolan fans fill it with their subconscious.