Can Someone Explain This to Me...

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
...Why did they have to CGI The train hitting the car? You can see it in TV SPOT 8 and 9. Nolan talks about doing things for real... why not run that train into the car???? There are some shots of a real train running down the street, but the one that makes contact with Leo's car is clearly CGI. Anyone care to explain?

Could be millions of reasons. It's not like they didn't have a good budget to wreck all the cars they want so it must be something worth it.

dude sometimes Nolan has to use cg, I mean it's to fucking impossible some times, like the helicopter shot on TDK,
you can do it for real but it would be a stupid waste of money.

This is something i'm waiting to see how it is shown in the movie. There's something off about the shots...

Notice how the red car is smashed and in almost the exact same position (notice the orange sign) in both the definite real image and apparently CGI image, but in the CGI one the other cars aren't present:

Even the brown car on the right side of the intersection is visible in both.

George wrote:This is something i'm waiting to see how it is shown in the movie. There's something off about the shots...

Notice how the red car is smashed and in the exact same position (notice the orange sign) in both the definite real image and apparently CGI image, but in the CGI one the other cars aren't present:

Hey that's just strange :batface:

George wrote:This is something i'm waiting to see how it is shown in the movie. There's something off about the shots...

Notice how the red car is smashed and in the exact same position (notice the orange sign) in both the definite real image and apparently CGI image, but in the CGI one the other cars aren't present:

i think its because the red merc had been dragged ahead in the second pic as the train moves, so all those cars in front of the train would not been seen in the first, its angle problem i think

So I suppose maybe the CGI shot was to make sure the red car was shown being propelled forward. Just like a miniature building was constructed to do an explosion when the real thing didn't collapse properly.

George wrote:So I suppose maybe the CGI shot was to make sure the red car was shown being propelled forward. Just like a miniature building was constructed to do an explosion when the real thing didn't collapse properly.
ya, probably they found out that the practical effects would not give them the results/visual they wanted, so in the end had to use CGI/miniature to solve it...

you are right there is definitely something off, but I don't think there is something wrong, how could Nolan make a mistake like that... hmm :think:

OVERMAN wrote:you are right there is definitely something off, but I don't think there is something wrong, how could Nolan make a mistake like that... hmm :think:

I think Dan_87 sorted it all out. The red car is past the white line in the first image but right at it in the second.