Saito's Confirmation of Job Accomplished

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: August 2013
Location: NorCal
After viewing "Inception" for about the 50th time, I have a concern: Saito is adamant about being a "tourist," since he has a vested interest to ensure that inception is properly achieved. He wants to "protect his investment," as it were. And like any good businessman, he won't pay for services rendered unless the service is properly and thoroughly completed to his satisfaction. To that end, if he were not around to see the project through to its completion, I doubt he would pay.

How does Saito know inception has been successfully accomplished if he dies before it's accomplished? Saito does indeed die (and go into limbo) before Fischer enters his dad's hospice room and Eames confirms inception.

During the closing Cobb/Saito scene in Saito's fortress, Saito does mention "to honor our agreement." Indeed true, but, again, how does Saito know that the job was accomplished? If he were to take Cobb at his word, why be a tourist in the first place? They all wake up, Cobb gives Saito the Stare of Death (since they just discussed it in limbo), and Saito makes the call. All without confirming inception. Unless Fischer blurted out "I will break up my father's company!" at the top of his lungs before the phone call, before the flight attendant passed out hot towels.

User avatar
Posts: 444
Joined: May 2013
Location: Hong Kong
mtbmaster wrote:After viewing "Inception" for about the 50th time, I have a concern: Saito is adamant about being a "tourist," since he has a vested interest to ensure that inception is properly achieved. He wants to "protect his investment," as it were. And like any good businessman, he won't pay for services rendered unless the service is properly and thoroughly completed to his satisfaction. To that end, if he were not around to see the project through to its completion, I doubt he would pay.

How does Saito know inception has been successfully accomplished if he dies before it's accomplished? Saito does indeed die (and go into limbo) before Fischer enters his dad's hospice room and Eames confirms inception.

During the closing Cobb/Saito scene in Saito's fortress, Saito does mention "to honor our agreement." Indeed true, but, again, how does Saito know that the job was accomplished? If he were to take Cobb at his word, why be a tourist in the first place? They all wake up, Cobb gives Saito the Stare of Death (since they just discussed it in limbo), and Saito makes the call. All without confirming inception. Unless Fischer blurted out "I will break up my father's company!" at the top of his lungs before the phone call, before the flight attendant passed out hot towels.
He got the Leo death stare.

Not much of the final conversation in Limbo between Cobb and Saito is revealed (Saito touches the gun and Cobb wakes). Also, since Eames witnessed Fischer being "inception-ed", he probably would've told Saito, and Saito probably would've trusted him.

I've never really thought about this before.

User avatar
Posts: 10445
Joined: January 2011
Location: Waiting for a train
I believe that Saito gave Cobb the benefit of the doubt, because Cobb saved him from limbo.

Posts: 3
Joined: August 2013
Location: NorCal
anarchy wrote:Also, since Eames witnessed Fischer being "inception-ed", he probably would've told Saito, and Saito probably would've trusted him.
But Saito was dead (in limbo) by the time Eames witnessed inception.

User avatar
Posts: 332
Joined: January 2013
the_red_ninja wrote:I believe that Saito gave Cobb the benefit of the doubt, because Cobb saved him from limbo.
This.

At that point, even if Cobb hadn't achieved Inception, he would've made the call anyway. They developed a lot of respect for one another throughout the course of planning and executing the mission - And then Cobb saved his life.

Posts: 128
Joined: February 2011
Cobb risked his life and went ahead with the project. Saito honored his agreement with Cobb taking the risks with his entire team.
My question is, 'Since Fischer was doubly drugged and would still remain asleep, wouldn't Saito and Cobb actually land in Fischer's dream before waking up?

User avatar
Posts: 10445
Joined: January 2011
Location: Waiting for a train
author wrote: My question is, 'Since Fischer was doubly drugged and would still remain asleep, wouldn't Saito and Cobb actually land in Fischer's dream before waking up?
No. No one was drugged more than anyone else. The last kick, kicked errrbody except Cobb and Saito to level one i.e. Yusuf's dream where they waited out the dream or were woken up by the paid off flight attendents. And because Cobb spent such a long time looking for Saito in Limbo, Yusuf's dream time finished a long time (like a few hours) before Cobb and Saito kicked themselves out of Limbo.

Posts: 128
Joined: February 2011
the_red_ninja wrote:
author wrote: My question is, 'Since Fischer was doubly drugged and would still remain asleep, wouldn't Saito and Cobb actually land in Fischer's dream before waking up?
No. No one was drugged more than anyone else. The last kick, kicked errrbody except Cobb and Saito to level one i.e. Yusuf's dream where they waited out the dream or were woken up by the paid off flight attendents. And because Cobb spent such a long time looking for Saito in Limbo, Yusuf's dream time finished a long time (like a few hours) before Cobb and Saito kicked themselves out of Limbo.
Yes, Fischer was drugged before being hooked up to the PASIV machine. He was unconscious. He could have stayed in the first level because his projections would only kill the intruders. Cobb stayed in Arthur's dream after he shot Arthur in Saito's mountain home. Even though Yusef was there, they were going into Fischer's mind, into his subconscious.

User avatar
Posts: 1018
Joined: March 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Saito took a "leap of faith".

Post Reply