HitFix' Summer Oscar Contenders, Inception Leads Pack

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Here's a brief, but cool article from HitFix highlighting which summer movies should be creating the most Oscar buzz, with Inception leading the pack with 12 potential nominations, including Best Director and Best Picture. I know, I know, the movie's not even out yet. But hey, this is the internet. Speculation is going to happen, even if it's a year in advance. So let's be glad that Inception is so universally predicted to be Oscar-caliber by most in the biz.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11- ... tory-3?m=k
Last edited by Barrett on May 31st, 2010, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still waiting to see the film before I decide if its best picture material.

chee wrote:Still waiting to see the film before I decide if its best picture material.
I updated my comment, cuz I thought I'd get this response.

Also, predicting whether a movie is Oscar-caliber doesn't necessarily relate to it's quality as a movie. A lot of the time it has to do with the specific actors, directors, producers and screenwriters involved. It's a very political process. It's not like predicting the lottery, it's fairly easy to say that oh, "Christopher Nolan is writing and directing his own, original movie with four Oscar nominees and two winners in the cast, right after his Dark Knight Best Picture/Director snub, with almost the exact same team..." I think it's not being ridiculous at all to predict Oscar nominations. It's not like that voting system is pure and honest in any respect anyway.

I thought The Reader was absolutely terrible, but because it had Kate Winslet starring in a Holocaust premise, directed by Stephen Daldry and produced by Harvey Weinstein, of course it got nominated for a bunch of Oscars. Doesn't make it a good movie. Just sayin.

Barrett wrote:
chee wrote:Still waiting to see the film before I decide if its best picture material.
I updated my comment, cuz I thought I'd get this response.
Hahha, yea. I totally agree.

InContention currently has Inception on their sidebar for 8 potential nominations (only includes the final number for each category):

Picture, Director, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects

Marion Cotillard just missed out on their Supporting Actress category, as did Hans Zimmer for the score.
And original screenplay is listed as a dark horse contender.

George wrote:InContention currently has Inception on their sidebar for 8 potential nominations (only includes the final number for each category):

Picture, Director, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects

Marion Cotillard just missed out on their Supporting Actress category, as did Hans Zimmer for the score.
And original screenplay is listed as a dark horse contender.
Very nice! I didn't know they updated that for this year's Oscars. I checked it like a month ago and it was still from last years. InContention a fantastic Oscar site. I usually check it quite often during awards season. And they're pretty accurate and know what they're talking about. Kris Tapley especially. And while I'm not surprised by them not picking any actor noms (again, I know, we'll have to see it first), but with all the drivel scripts that are getting made, I can't see how Nolan's script wouldn't get even a nomination for Original Screenplay...?

He has to get a nom for original screenplay if everything is in top shape.

("Inception" has already blown away those lucky enough to see it.)

who?, no sources. :x

OVERMAN wrote:("Inception" has already blown away those lucky enough to see it.)

who?, no sources. :x
Agree would like to see who have seen it? (outside of syncopy and WB)