A Universal Franchise in Nolan's Future?

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
This is obviously a big fat What If, but seeing as how Nolan has now adapted a major WB property, a novel, a book, and is now starting what seems to be a long relationship with Universal, it's not out of the question that they might try to rope him into reviving one of their major IPs. Looking at their list of franchises, there's a lot to be desired, but I think there's potential for some Nolan goodness. What say you guys?

- Jurassic Park (Maaaaybe? An origin? Grounded with very limited CGI?)
- Back to the Future (Time Travel... Hmm.)
- Jaws (A modern oceanic survival thriller)
- Insidious (Starts with "In", haha, and we want a Nolan Horror damn it!)
- Battlestar Galactica (Epic space opera not unlike Star Wars)
- Jason Bourne (Hard reboot; if he can't do 007, action, espionage, why not?)
- Fast & Furious (Nah, no thanks - for the love of god)

Now here's where I think things could get a little more interesting...

Universal Monsters
- Frankenstein (the first completely faithful adaptation?)
- Dracula (the first completely faithful adaptation?)
- The Wolf Man (not likely, Ryan Gosling's film is in pre-production)
- Bride of Frankenstein (Nolan would probably want to tackle Frankenstein first)
- The Invisible Man (Just got one in 2020, although not faithful to the source material)
- The Mummy (Probably not ready to wash the Tom Cruise stink off of this just yet)
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (Del Toro essentially tried and ended up doing Shape of Water)
- The Phantom of the Opera (Eh? Maybe?)
- Van Helsing (Eh? Maybe?)

A truly cursed thread. I don't think anyone would want Nolan to return to franchise filmmaking...and none of those look appealing. The universal monster adaptations have been such a boondoggle I break out in hives just thinking about I, Frankenstien or the Cruise Mummy.

Only franchise I would have loved to see Nolan do was Dune saga. He's one of the few directors that could eventually adapt the story without too much backlash but we already got that milquetoast adaptation by Dennis, so I would rather he sticks to originals and stays away from franchises (namely universal ones).

A Borges man wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
A truly cursed thread. I don't think anyone would want Nolan to return to franchise filmmaking...and none of those look appealing. The universal monster adaptations have been such a boondoggle I break out in hives just thinking about I, Frankenstien or the Cruise Mummy.
As has been said many times before, Nolan is now ever more creative and radical in his filmmaking, and very strongly committed to his original ideas, especially and since he occupies a unique and singular place in Hollywood, but I am so excited to see the future projects that will open this new chapter with Universal. And I hope(and he surely will)he'll extend his body of work.

A Borges man wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
A truly cursed thread.
Hey thanks! :gonf:

Angus wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 2:51 pm
This is obviously a big fat What If, but seeing as how Nolan has now adapted a major WB property, a novel, a book, and is now starting what seems to be a long relationship with Universal, it's not out of the question that they might try to rope him into reviving one of their major IPs. Looking at their list of franchises, there's a lot to be desired, but I think there's potential for some Nolan goodness. What say you guys?

- Jurassic Park (Maaaaybe? An origin? Grounded with very limited CGI?)
- Back to the Future (Time Travel... Hmm.)
- Jaws (A modern oceanic survival thriller)
- Insidious (Starts with "In", haha, and we want a Nolan Horror damn it!)
- Battlestar Galactica (Epic space opera not unlike Star Wars)
- Jason Bourne (Hard reboot; if he can't do 007, action, espionage, why not?)
- Fast & Furious (Nah, no thanks - for the love of god)

Now here's where I think things could get a little more interesting...

Universal Monsters
- Frankenstein (the first completely faithful adaptation?)
- Dracula (the first completely faithful adaptation?)
- The Wolf Man (not likely, Ryan Gosling's film is in pre-production)
- Bride of Frankenstein (Nolan would probably want to tackle Frankenstein first)
- The Invisible Man (Just got one in 2020, although not faithful to the source material)
- The Mummy (Probably not ready to wash the Tom Cruise stink off of this just yet)
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (Del Toro essentially tried and ended up doing Shape of Water)
- The Phantom of the Opera (Eh? Maybe?)
- Van Helsing (Eh? Maybe?)
No chance.

I'd say Nolan's franchise IP days are likely done....but if "Oppenheimer" eats it at the box office, who knows...

radewart wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 6:22 pm
I'd say Nolan's franchise IP days are likely done....but if "Oppenheimer" eats it at the box office, who knows...
This is my line of thinking.

Especially if he wants to keep doing big event movies exclusively for theaters. Universal's going to want a Top Gun: Maverick from him eventually, it's basic business.

Angus wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 7:26 pm
radewart wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 6:22 pm
This is my line of thinking.

Especially if he wants to keep doing big event movies exclusively for theaters. Universal's going to want a Top Gun: Maverick from him eventually, it's basic business.
Given the rumours that he was going to do Blade Runner 2049, I would actually love it if he did a legacy sequel. Trouble is that there's not a lot to choose from, Blade Runner's already been done and whilst there's a couple more Space Odyssey books I doubt that there's any real demand to adapt them generally since 2001 is the standout and 2010 is mostly ignored.

Yep, which makes me wonder. I'm assuming he's going to be an in-house director for Universal for quite a while.

I honestly don't think Jaws or a Universal Monsters film (even with Blumhouse) is that crazy. Imagine a really epic, faithful Dracula or Frankenstein, three hours, $200 million.

It seems bizarre to me that so many people are assuming he's not interested in reviving an IP anymore. Why? Why would he push a huge array of opportunities off the table.