A Universal Franchise in Nolan's Future?

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Angus wrote:
September 15th, 2022, 3:46 pm
Yep, which makes me wonder. I'm assuming he's going to be an in-house director for Universal for quite a while.

I honestly don't think Jaws or a Universal Monsters film (even with Blumhouse) is that crazy. Imagine a really epic, faithful Dracula or Frankenstein, three hours, $200 million.

It seems bizarre to me that so many people are assuming he's not interested in reviving an IP anymore. Why? Why would he push a huge array of opportunities off the table.
It's more bizarre to me that some people want him to go back to reviving franchises and whatnot. I think Nolan should focus on new stuff, or at the very least make book adaptions like Isaac Asimov novels, for example. He could be a great option for it; I mean, The Prestige is proof if you ask me.

Instead of seeing Nolan take on a tired Universal IP like "Jurassic Park" or the classic Universal Monsters, it may be cool for him to remake an old school Universal SciFi flick like "Colossus:The Forbin Project" or "The Andromeda Strain". "Slaughterhouse-Five" would also be a cool choice, deals with concepts of Nolan's favorite subject, Time.

radewart wrote:
September 15th, 2022, 9:20 pm
Instead of seeing Nolan take on a tired Universal IP like "Jurassic Park" or the classic Universal Monsters, it may be cool for him to remake an old school Universal SciFi flick like "Colossus:The Forbin Project" or "The Andromeda Strain". "Slaughterhouse-Five" would also be a cool choice, deals with concepts of Nolan's favorite subject, Time.
Yeah! Absolutely. I think anything in Universal's catalog could on the table.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
September 14th, 2022, 10:28 pm
Angus wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 7:26 pm
radewart wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 6:22 pm
I'd say Nolan's franchise IP days are likely done....but if "Oppenheimer" eats it at the box office, who knows...
This is my line of thinking.

Especially if he wants to keep doing big event movies exclusively for theaters. Universal's going to want a Top Gun: Maverick from him eventually, it's basic business.
Given the rumours that he was going to do Blade Runner 2049, I would actually love it if he did a legacy sequel. Trouble is that there's not a lot to choose from, Blade Runner's already been done and whilst there's a couple more Space Odyssey books I doubt that there's any real demand to adapt them generally since 2001 is the standout and 2010 is mostly ignored.
Rumours of Nolan tackling 2049? i dont recall hearing any serious rumours back in the day.

Forum Pro
There’s a sci-fi project in a state of flux called Robopocalypse. It was a Spielberg directorial project with a script written by Drew Goddard and was set to Star Chris Hemsworth and Anne Hathaway but the project got really expensive, Spielberg personally took over the script and now it’s a Michael Bay directorial project but that was 2-3 years ago.

I would love for Nolan to take over that project. Maybe Universal can swoop the rights, keep Bay on board as a producer (which he’s quite great at).

I should add that Spielberg had Guy Hendrix Dyas designing the film, so there’s a Nolan connection