Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
A Borges man wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Angus wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 12:31 pm
If I had a million bucks to take to Vegas, I'd put it all on either Howard Hughes or James Bond. It feels like occam's razor at this point.

He wants people coming out to the theater. A Nolan Bond flick is the safest bet for hitting a billion. And Hughes would take him straight to the Oscars.
You're gonna lose that million bucks.

People think we need a Nolan Bond movie, we don't. Frankly, he is too singular and too good for such a rigid franchise. Also, he has done his franchise work, he will not return to that prison. Tenet is his bond movie, Inception is his bond movie, and parts of the DK trilogy are his bond movie.

The Howard Hughes biopic is only worth it if Jim Carrey is back on board. If the movie gets made the discourse is going to insufferable...can't wait for the youtube cottage industry of videos comparing it to Scorsese's flick.

Would be disappointed if either of those were his next flick.
I agree with you Borges. Some people need to stop asking for Nolan to do a Bond or go back to Howard Hughes. As you are saying, the controversy for either of those projects would be insufferable if you ask me. And Nolan has done his sort of Bond already. Gotta keep moving to new things as he has done.

The best thing that can happen is if I wake up to news that Nolan’s directing a horror film. :o

A Borges man wrote:
Angus wrote:
If I had a million bucks to take to Vegas, I'd put it all on either Howard Hughes or James Bond. It feels like occam's razor at this point.

He wants people coming out to the theater. A Nolan Bond flick is the safest bet for hitting a billion. And Hughes would take him straight to the Oscars.

People think we need a Nolan Bond movie, we don't. Frankly, he is too singular and too good for such a rigid franchise. Also, he has done his franchise work, he will not return to that prison. Tenet is his bond movie, Inception is his bond movie, and parts of the DK trilogy are his bond movie.

The Howard Hughes biopic is only worth it if Jim Carrey is back on board. If the movie gets made the discourse is going to insufferable...can't wait for the youtube cottage industry of videos comparing it to Scorsese's flick.

It could be Hughes but it won’t be bond. We will not get another new bond for another 5 years.

A Borges man wrote:
Angus wrote:

Carrey is a quack now. I'd love to see the Hughes project because he said it's the best thing he ever wrote and I don't know how that doesn't excited anyone who says they are a Nolan fan. I've heard him state it's about later in his life, the Hughes project. I'd tell you who would be better than Carrey...Bryan Cranston. He even looks like Hughes. He could handle the range of that role perfectly I think. Biopic + Nolan + Cranston = Oscar noms galore...well of course it might be too white now :judge:

I'd love to see Nolan do a Western. The practical stunts/effects/sets would be amazing...hopefully it would revive the genre. Someone said a Brit doing a Western, no thanks? Hell one of the most famous Western directors was Italian. Plus Nolan is basically American. I think he'd murder a Western. He should use Eastwood's son lol.

I have no doubt he would make an awesome horror flick and probably will attempt it soon...but horror is my least favorite genre. So we can hold off lol.

WelcometoNoLand wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 12:26 am
A Borges man wrote:
Angus wrote:

Carrey is a quack now. I'd love to see the Hughes project because he said it's the best thing he ever wrote and I don't know how that doesn't excited anyone who says they are a Nolan fan. I've heard him state it's about later in his life, the Hughes project. I'd tell you who would be better than Carrey...Bryan Cranston. He even looks like Hughes. He could handle the range of that role perfectly I think. Biopic + Nolan + Cranston = Oscar noms galore...well of course it might be too white now :judge:

I'd love to see Nolan do a Western. The practical stunts/effects/sets would be amazing...hopefully it would revive the genre. Someone said a Brit doing a Western, no thanks? Hell one of the most famous Western directors was Italian. Plus Nolan is basically American. I think he'd murder a Western. He should use Eastwood's son lol.

I have no doubt he would make an awesome horror flick and probably will attempt it soon...but horror is my least favorite genre. So we can hold off lol.

Cranston may have done amazing tv work, but his movie work is lacking...this would be super uninteresting. Carrey being a quack makes him more appealing...

There is a reason even QT and The Coen brothers couldn't revive the western genre.

I'll take a horror over a western any day...

Can't care less about Hughes or Western.

Do a stop-motion animated film next.

I would like Nolan to do something completely different this time. That being said I want him to do another non sci-fi film as his next flick.
I'm thinking of a historical picture in the 17th/18th century maybe a film about Napoleonic wars. In simple words his Barry Lyndon. He can do something similar to Dunkirk, like to focus only on one event rather a historical figure.
I want to see him tackling a film of a different era again and how he can apply his craft with everything he has learnt all these years.

Pit180 wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 4:39 am

I'm thinking of a historical picture in the 17th/18th century maybe a film about Napoleonic wars. In simple words his Barry Lyndon. He can do something similar to Dunkirk, like to focus only on one event rather a historical figure.
I want to see him tackling a film of a different era again and how he can apply his craft with everything he has learnt all these years.
I like the idea of a historical epic, though in his mind, he already did his "David Lean" with TDKR.
However I want him to focus on characters. After Dunkirk and Tenet, I'd like him to go from character to concept instead of from concept to character.

Oku
Just popped in because a thought popped into my head: maybe his next film could/should be an Interstellar sequel?

First, pandemic or not, Tenet lost money, and it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for him to make a 'one for them' movie like TDKR.

Which brings to my second point. The obvious first choice is an Inception sequel, but it's a WB film and he's at war with them. So the next best is Interstellar, which is owned by Paramount. Until last year when WB was Mr. Nolan's home studio, this was the very reason an Interstellar 2 was unlikely to happen, but now, the reverse is true.

Oku wrote:
March 30th, 2021, 9:25 am
Just popped in because a thought popped into my head: maybe his next film could/should be an Interstellar sequel?

First, pandemic or not, Tenet lost money, and it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for him to make a 'one for them' movie like TDKR.

Which brings to my second point. The obvious first choice is an Inception sequel, but it's a WB film and he's at war with them. So the next best is Interstellar, which is owned by Paramount. Until last year when WB was Mr. Nolan's home studio, this was the very reason an Interstellar 2 was unlikely to happen, but now, the reverse is true.
Tenet more or less made up for its losses with releases in New York and Los Angeles.

And no, Nolan will never make sequels, these films are films in their own right.

I think he will continue to push his original concept films further to show the power of the theatrical experience.