Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
nolannolanchrischris wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 6:59 pm
EXCLUSIVE: Christopher Nolan is readying his next film, and Deadline hears that like Dunkirk, it will focus on a seminal moment in World War II. This one is J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb during WWII. Here is a bombshell development: while none of Nolan’s recent movies had gone outside Warner Bros, I’m hearing that several of the major studios across town are reading the screenplay and speaking with Nolan and his reps.

This might be residue from the umbrage Nolan took when WarnerMedia declared its intention to go day and date with its entire 2021 movie slate, without forewarning talent, their reps or even the studio’s financing partners in the films. Nolan, among the superstar directors who are the most vociferous supporters of a good old fashioned theatrical release, was outspoken in his ire on WarnerMedia’s move. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Warner Bros is among the studios in the mix on this, but clearly it has lost pole position. Warner Bros followed Nolan’s directives in releasing his last film, Tenet, even though the film’s grosses suffered because the pandemic was still raging, and moviegoers weren’t ready to return to theaters en masse at that point. The film still grossed $363 million, the biggest global number since the pandemic erupted, outside F9, Godzilla Vs. Kong and Black Widow. Nolan and his wife/producing partner Emma Thomas did not have a formal deal at the studio, but like Clint Eastwood, they have been very loyal about making their films there. Those collaboration led to billions in box office receipts.

Details are a bit scant at the moment on casting, but I’m hearing talk that Cillian Murphy might be involved. He collaborated with Nolan on two of The Dark Knight films, Inception as well as Dunkirk, is in the mix. The project has the sweep of his last historical epic Dunkirk, looking at WWII from the development of the atomic bombs that ended the war with Japan. So there will clearly be many big star parts.
https://deadline.com/2021/09/christophe ... 234829960/
Nolan is going to film a nuke going off jk

Here we go with a one-word tittle and masks again.
Last edited by Nolan62 on September 13th, 2021, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nolan62 wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Here we go with a one-world tittle and masks again.
:lol:

What if he called this thing "Shiva"...

A Borges man wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 2:32 am
What if he called this thing "Shiva"...
You never know. He might call it Nuke lol

Tenet, Army Of The Dead, Wonder Woman 84. These films are all a product of directors getting full creative control. There’s a saying that restraint breeds creativity.
I remember an interview where Nolan said he sat down and rewrote the Inception script with Leonardo Dicaprio for many months before shooting the film. On Dunkirk, Lee Smith said in an interview that his job was to take complicated scripts and make them palpable for the general audience. He said it took them a lot of time to shape the film.

I think the problem with Tenet was that Nolan didn’t collaborate with anyone that had the same status as him or higher. If you are a director on the same level as Fincher, Scorsese, Tarantino, very few people can tell you what to do. On Tenet, Nolan didn’t have someone like DiCaprio or Lee Smith to tell him “no, that’s not working. You need to take it out or rewrite that”. John David Washington has repeat said he’s a fan of Nolan. He’s going to blindly follow the directors lead. I doubt Branagh, Debicki or Robert Pattinson dissented in any way.

Jennifer Lame did an excellent job with the action set pieces but I bet she knew the movie make absolutely no sense on a first viewing but couldn’t do anything about it. She didn’t have the clout to drastically change the script. All that to say, Nolan needs Lee Smith back because he seems to listen to him.

Retskrad wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 6:27 am
Tenet, Army Of The Dead, Wonder Woman 84. These films are all a product of directors getting full creative control. There’s a saying that restraint breeds creativity.
The other two films have multiple reasons why the final product seems very conflictive with different audiences, specially ww84. The hell is this?

Disagree with almost everything else you said. However, I do think that communication with new people can be more passive sometimes perhaps but Nolan still have several other older colleagues with him providing insight. We'll see how his new movie turns out, if he goes back to work with new ones again, when it comes out.

I suppose Emma Thomas is the one that can actually tell him what he shouldn't do.

In general for all direction they need someone who can provide honest feedback. A director might not see small things not working in script since they know it so well if they working on it.

Tenet got:

• 'B' CinemaScore, which is his lowest since The Prestige
    3.4/5 score on Letterboxd
    7.4/10 score on IMDB
    70% critic and 76% audience rating on RT

These numbers clearly show people don't view Tenet as a great movie - they see it as merely good or above average. When David Fincher, Scorsese, Tarantino or Paul Thomas Anderson make a new film, people expect greatness from them. Not simply good. There's no way around it - Tenet was a misfire. Let's see if Nolan has learned from his mistakes.