Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I thought the Phoenicians weren't black though.

Joshua Strong wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:18 am
Nomis wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:49 am
Joshua Strong wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 2:55 am
What about an epic about Hannibal of Carthage starring John David Washington or Daniel Kayuula.
bruh

but how on Earth is he going to accomplish that without exceeding some 800 VFX shots tho lollll
Thinking about it, the most VFX thing that I can think off will be the elephants that Hannibal uses to crash the Roman Empire.

But you can call it Carthage, after his kingdom. It could just be about him pushing the Romans to the brink of defeat. If you're going to cover that point in time, I believe Hannibal was 26, the second Pubic War lasted 17 years. If you want to cover Hannibal at the end of his life then he was 63 when he died and Denel Washington is 65, just saying.

A super fucking jacked Daniel Kayuula or Denzel. In IMAX. Armed With A Sword. Killing Roman Soldiers. Sign me up.
the what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punic_Wars

Forum Pro
Pratham wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 4:56 am
Joshua Strong wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:18 am
Nomis wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:49 am

bruh

but how on Earth is he going to accomplish that without exceeding some 800 VFX shots tho lollll
Thinking about it, the most VFX thing that I can think off will be the elephants that Hannibal uses to crash the Roman Empire.

But you can call it Carthage, after his kingdom. It could just be about him pushing the Romans to the brink of defeat. If you're going to cover that point in time, I believe Hannibal was 26, the second Pubic War lasted 17 years. If you want to cover Hannibal at the end of his life then he was 63 when he died and Denel Washington is 65, just saying.

A super fucking jacked Daniel Kayuula or Denzel. In IMAX. Armed With A Sword. Killing Roman Soldiers. Sign me up.
the what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punic_Wars
What? You don’t know about this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocorrection

An epic steampunk film during the Industrial Revolution! He already conquered that topic a bit with The Prestige. Remember films like Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie ones) or Castle in the Sky (Ghibli). Nolan and Nathan Crowley would so nail that worldbuildung. Real costumes real setpieces. Tom Hardy, Cilian Murphy and Fionn Whitehead in an epic adventure in gritty rainy dirty industrial cities and slums. Maybe Wally Pfister turns backs (I like Hoytema, but Wally is Wally).

After the somewhat muted reception of Tenet, I think it's likely that he will pursue a non-sci-fi project next, or at least something less "familiar" just so that it doesn't appear like he's becoming too settled into a comfort zone, or like Dunkirk was just a diversion. He seems committed to challenging himself, so after having a bit of fun with Tenet, I can definitely see his next project being really different in terms of genre or storytelling approach. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his next film features a female protagonist (with Debicki as the lead perhaps).

hot take

Nolan not going back in huge parts of the film.

Beware spoilers, obviously:

With Tenet we experience
the same film from a different POV from halfway through up and until the end.
With Dunkirk we often experience the same situations from differents POVs
With Interstellar we see what's
on the other side in the last act of the film.
With TDKR, he only had a couple of flashbacks. See what I'm getting at? lol
I get that it's inherent to his films' stories and I thought that especially with Dunkirk it works incredibly well. The
inverted scenes in the second half of Tenet
were a sight to behold and the action scenes were innovative, but I hope he'll sort of let this story structure go, or something along those lines.

Nomis wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:02 am
hot take

Nolan not going back in huge parts of the film.

Beware spoilers, obviously:

With Tenet we experience
the same film from a different POV from halfway through up and until the end.
With Dunkirk we often experience the same situations from differents POVs
With Interstellar we see what's
on the other side in the last act of the film.
With TDKR, he only had a couple of flashbacks. See what I'm getting at? lol
I get that it's inherent to his films' stories and I thought that especially with Dunkirk it works incredibly well. The
inverted scenes in the second half of Tenet
were a sight to behold and the action scenes were innovative, but I hope he'll sort of let this story structure go, or something along those lines.
I mean, this is clearly his major interest. The thing is...this is what makes Nolan, Nolan. Lets think about the progression here:
Memento -
the Sammy Jenkins parable is later to be revealled to be partially about Leonard, or that he has confused himself and Sammy Jenkins to some degree...Nolan shows us this by reply shots from the Sammy Jenkins narrative but with Leonard in them instead. The point-of-view is from a confused identity. There is a subjectivity to all this, but the filmmaking isn't necessarily subjective, it's still shot in an objective manner.
The Prestige -
The intersecting/inter woven Diary structure doesn't repeat scenes, but does give us two perspectives on the main goings on of the plot. Both Memento and The prestige have narration, this helps provide subjectivity.
Inception -
Nolan uses flashbacks and repeated scenes, especially in the Mal sections; what he does here though, and in the prestige, and memento is leave out information...i.e. Mal's suicide was caused by planting the spinning top in the safe. So these three films so far are un-reliable narrators...this is why information is repeated and moments are adjusted.
Interstellar -
this move is less subjective, and presents things objectively, this is, like the motivations of nolan's other movies, because of what the character know and don't. The characters in Interstellar are going into the unknown, so it's less about subjectivity and more about being swallowed by the infinite. But, when we get into the Tessaract, Nolan, there is one shot, a simple one, of the just a camera pan, where Nolan creates a montage in camera...Coop is in the tesseract...and the looks to the right into another moment of Murph in the bedroom. He doesn't cut...he is able to span the galaxy, time and space, collapse it in one simple shot. This is the key moving forward. Nolan is as created a sort of subjective/objective.
Dunkirk -
This is all about point-of-view and time. The movie functions as a subjective tapestry and this makes visual information like a slow release capsule. Instead of having unreliable point-of-view, the structure is what refraims actions and situations.

Tenet-
He has taken the point-of-view, subjective/objective storytelling of Dunkirk and interstellar to its next logic step: he has time moving in different directions, tell us different stories in the same moments. Point-of-view is very important, because the visual flow of time is represented by the linear/reverse movement, I think the reason there has been alot of cunfusion about the movie is who is inverted or not reveals the point-of-view (a more subtle POV), while also being objective in it's overall narrative..Like Dunkirk, he has created a unified subjective/objective vocabulary...something that is not there in his Batman movies

This is all a really longwinded, useless way of saying...I think Tenet is the logic next step in his filmmaking project on time. This is what Nolan is trying to figure out. I think general critics and filmmaking twitter feels like he has gone too far, broken it, but I for one want him to continue progressing his project. I think his last 3 movies are sublime, and have true vision, and they are his most Nolan movies.

I don't know whether this is true but I have heard somewhere that Nolans next film will be a soviet war drama, and because of his positive experiences in Estonia and Talinn he will shoot some scenes over there again! I don't know whether this is a rumor or truth but has someone else also heard this?

any rumor coming out this year is a bunch of inverted crap

Okay Nolanhacks next kino needs to make extra serious bucks

It's not going to be some original content

Lets assume it's going to be the most basic shit ever to get butts in seats

My guess is he's going to make an MCU movie I mean come on now, what do you think?