Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Oh yeah, Hell and Gone is still a dream project I would really love him to do, and I'm sure he will tackle it someday.

Assuming he went to Africa during his student years, when he was part of a big safari planned by photographer Dan Eldon, I would love him to do a big adventure film set in Africa.
Something inspired by his trip during his youth, something in the vein of Blood Diamond or a romance, like Out of Africa or those old epic films set in the country. It would also be great.

Nolan62 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:41 am
Oh yeah, Hell and Gone is still a dream project I would really love him to do, and I'm sure he will tackle it someday.

Assuming he went to Africa during his student years, when he was part of a big safari planned by photographer Dan Eldon, I would love him to do a big adventure film set in Africa.
Something inspired by his trip during his youth, something in the vein of Blood Diamond or a romance, like Out of Africa or those old epic films set in the country. It would also be great.
Would like to read that script (Hell and Gone). Any tips where I can find it?

I would like to see Nolan (since he is british) making a Steampunk film set during the Industrial Revolution. The Prestige already headed in that direction. Imagine something like Castle In The Sky.

When asked about the Howard Hughes project during his recent appearance on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Nolan said he would probably read through the script again soon to see if it still "speaks to him." So that could still be a possibility...

He could drop the time bending concepts (inception, interstellar, tenet)
but i still think he will play with how the story is told (memento, prestige)
and even without a perception concepts and sci fi elements he still messes with time (following, dunkirk)

the only films he did nothing with time is insomnia and the batman trilogy (and even insomnia there was the concept of cant tell the time due to no nights lol)

Pr0creation wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 1:48 pm
He could drop the time bending concepts (inception, interstellar, tenet)
but i still think he will play with how the story is told (memento, prestige)
and even without a perception concepts and sci fi elements he still messes with time (following, dunkirk)

the only films he did nothing with time is insomnia and the batman trilogy (and even insomnia there was the concept of cant tell the time due to no nights lol)
As you say, in Insomnia there is still games with time. Batman Begins has lots of flash-backs in its first act, TDK has lots of count-down. And I think people don't talk enough of how he handles time in TDKR, especially in the last act.
The way it's edited 99% of people left the film convinced that Batman is in the the "Bat" three seconds before explosion, but if you rewatch it, it could well have been sixty seconds or more. He does lots of tricks with the way he edits, and inserts shots of the time before explosion.
Nolan named Metropolis as a key influence concerning the pacing of the last act of TDKR, btw.
Every film plays with time. But Nolan plays with it more consciously than other filmmakers.

Nolan62 wrote:

Good luck in this climate lol. White dude doing a film set in Africa, might burn him at the stakes. But who knows he is Nolan, perhaps he can get away with it. If a Blood Diamond movie got made today I'd sh*t myself.
Janky Sam wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 5:08 pm
When asked about the Howard Hughes project during his recent appearance on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Nolan said he would probably read through the script again soon to see if it still "speaks to him." So that could still be a possibility...
I'm hoping he does this next. He said it's the best thing he wrote, that gets me going. Love to see him cast Cranston. Looks just like old Hughes.
Last edited by Nomis on January 19th, 2021, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't double post

WelcometoNoLand wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:52 am
Nolan62 wrote:

Good luck in this climate lol. White dude doing a film set in Africa, might burn him at the stakes. But who knows he is Nolan, perhaps he can get away with it. If a Blood Diamond movie got made today I'd sh*t myself.
Janky Sam wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 5:08 pm
I'm hoping he does this next. He said it's the best thing he wrote, that gets me going. Love to see him cast Cranston. Looks just like old Hughes.
Well, I think this man will do pretty much anything to challenge himself so who knows!

so Paramount or Sony next?

Nolan62 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 4:30 pm
https://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-be ... Pm3xL3xRAF
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdatesBU/statu ... 6211898368
Maybe it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but if it's true, it confirms what it was already predicted.

I can't read the entire article, what does it say exactly ?
Just that Nolan is likely to takes his next film to another studio, in part because of his disappointment with WBs hybrid distribution strategy. Otherwise a general rundown of how studios and filmmakers and actors are navigating the landscape.