Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Christopher Nolan should remake The Saint.

666kalpa wrote:
November 18th, 2023, 2:40 am
Time for his Christmas rom com.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ar/676044/

:lol:
Andersen: I’ve followed your career long enough to know that you keep your projects under wraps until you’re good and ready.

Nolan: Then you’re wasting your last question.

Andersen: Well, it’s a meta-question about where you might go from here. You’ve just done this epic film. It’s three hours long. It contemplates the fate of humanity, and the possibility that we might extinguish ourselves. It seems to me that you can only go smaller from here—although I’m happy to be corrected—and I wonder if that will be a challenge for you?

Nolan: You want every new project to be a challenge, and I think there’s a lot of misunderstanding about what really gives scale to a film. You can look at it in terms of budget. You can look at it in terms of shooting locations. You can look at it in terms of story. I don’t tend to think in those terms. I don’t think about, “Oh, I’ve done a big one; now I’ll do a small one.” In my kind of work, Oppenheimer was pretty lean; in terms of budget, it was a lot smaller than some of my other films. I try not to be reactive in my choices. To me, it’s really about finding the story that I want to be engaged with in the years it takes to make a film.

Andersen: Has one gripped you?

Nolan: I’m not going to answer that.

natalie wrote:
November 20th, 2023, 11:40 am
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ar/676044/

:lol:
Andersen: I’ve followed your career long enough to know that you keep your projects under wraps until you’re good and ready.

Nolan: Then you’re wasting your last question.

Andersen: Well, it’s a meta-question about where you might go from here. You’ve just done this epic film. It’s three hours long. It contemplates the fate of humanity, and the possibility that we might extinguish ourselves. It seems to me that you can only go smaller from here—although I’m happy to be corrected—and I wonder if that will be a challenge for you?

Nolan: You want every new project to be a challenge, and I think there’s a lot of misunderstanding about what really gives scale to a film. You can look at it in terms of budget. You can look at it in terms of shooting locations. You can look at it in terms of story. I don’t tend to think in those terms. I don’t think about, “Oh, I’ve done a big one; now I’ll do a small one.” In my kind of work, Oppenheimer was pretty lean; in terms of budget, it was a lot smaller than some of my other films. I try not to be reactive in my choices. To me, it’s really about finding the story that I want to be engaged with in the years it takes to make a film.

Andersen: Has one gripped you?

Nolan: I’m not going to answer that.
lol I think they should know by now Nolan does not answer a question like that. I love the way he responded to the scope thing, to him it's about the story and the rest. Not whether it's perceived as big or not. That's what I get.

sounds like he very much has an idea in mind. can't wait. bring bond back to fun bond.

I'm glad it's not Bond. To me it feels sort of like if Scorsese did a reboot of The Godfather or something. It's like, "Yeah, we know he can do it. We know it makes sense. But can we have something else?" It's three years of a filmmaker's life, and we already know all the trademarks and tropes and highlights and characters of that world, so it's like... there's nothing NEW happening, like a Tenet or Inception, so it just feels like a waste of a three-year wait.

I'm also happy he's not doing Bond because he's bigger than Bond at the moment. I haven't seen a Bond movie that's better than Inception or even Tenet (granted, I haven't seen all of them in a looong time and I'm not a fan of them either) - which are Nolan's versions of those films and they aren't even his best movies.

I'm still waiting for a horror movie or something totally lighter in tone. That or another Sci-Fi movie.

This thread should also be low-key speculation for what Sam Mendes and Ridley Scott do next, too.
I bet Mendes does Einstein for Netflix. Ridley does Sputnik 1 for AppleTV+.

Angus wrote:
December 1st, 2023, 4:42 pm
This thread should also be low-key speculation for what Sam Mendes and Ridley Scott do next, too.
I bet Mendes does Einstein for Netflix. Ridley does Sputnik 1 for AppleTV+.
Mendes will make a love story set during the Hiroshima bombing. Lmao