Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Ugh. Besides the theatrical run, what about Blu-ray releases? This is my main problem with Netflix. If films like The Irishman, Marriage Story, and Roma hadn't been picked up by Criterion would they have ever gotten a Blu-ray? I don't need to see every movie in the theater, especially smaller ones, but I do want to own my favorite films.

Forum Pro
If Nolan was ever going to make a movie with Disney, presumably while Alan Horn, now is the time.

If Nolan is going to make another large production but during the pandemic, Disney makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I think Columbia may be the studio Nolan ends up going to, since they're the only major studio without a streaming service. Warner, Disney, and Paramount have all shown that they are willing to move movies to streaming services without asking the people involved in making the movie.

Plus Columbia gave Tarantino as insane deal for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, so who knows what they would give Nolan.

Forum Pro
Joshua Strong wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 12:13 pm
If Nolan was ever going to make a movie with Disney, presumably while Alan Horn, now is the time.

If Nolan is going to make another large production but during the pandemic, Disney makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.
I wish I could say more, maybe I should make a burner? Is that what its called?

Joshua Strong wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 3:19 pm
Joshua Strong wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 12:13 pm

I wish I could say more, maybe I should make a burner? Is that what its called?

Mantis Toboggan wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 2:48 pm
I think Columbia may be the studio Nolan ends up going to, since they're the only major studio without a streaming service. Warner, Disney, and Paramount have all shown that they are willing to move movies to streaming services without asking the people involved in making the movie.

Plus Columbia gave Tarantino as insane deal for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, so who knows what they would give Nolan.
Yes, I think that Nolan will still knock on the door of other studios (and that they are also in the race to collaborate with him) and see what they can offer him. And if there is one, it's definitely Sony Pictures.

But Netflix is still a very high probability.

Demoph wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 1:42 am
Netflix may be offering a long cinema release to Nolan, it doesn't mean it will happen. They promised it to Bong Joon-ho for Okja in Korea, and indeed offered Korean cinema to show the film exclusively before the release on the platform, but main Korean cinemas said they wouldn't show Netflix films as long as most their films continued to be directly sent to the platform. In the end only a handful cinemas showed Okja.
I don't really trust Netflix with an international theatrical release to be honest. Plus, Nolan made it clear that he likes to let his movies play exclusively in theaters which then increases the demand for home media. This is one of the reasons why his movies do well in that department.

And yup as @marshallmurphy mentioned, physical media is a huge factor. He could demand a physical release in the contract but we'll see if Netflix willy comply. And if they do then more filmmakers will want the same treatment.

I kind of think WB will win him over. Maybe they'll make his movie theater exclusive. We're talking about a possible 2022/2023 release here so things are bound to change.

Do we trust that source about Nolan talking to Ray Fisher?

And I agree in that a Netflix Nolan production isn't the end of the world but a lack of 4K Blu Ray would be a bit devastating

Bacon wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 2:34 am
Do we trust that source about Nolan talking to Ray Fisher?

And I agree in that a Netflix Nolan production isn't the end of the world but a lack of 4K Blu Ray would be a bit devastating
No at all, it's just false rumours to create buzz.