Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Do you guys think It's possible that Nolan may do a gladiator movie. Lmk what you guys think.

Interstellar Kid wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:42 pm
Do you guys think It's possible that Nolan may do a gladiator movie. Lmk what you guys think.
Like a movie in the Gladiator franchise? Gladiator 2: electric boogaloo?

I don't think he is going to make a gladiator movie, that is a well-worn topic; with shows like Sparticus and the Kubrick movie. Also, Gladiator, the Scott film, is a definitive distillation of that genre...he would want to shackle himself to the comparison.

Am I the only one who wants him to make another original sci fi mindbender,mindblowing movie. I mean like inception, the prestige and interstellar. (and Tenet ofcourse but with more emotion). Screw drama's, comedies and historical epics, I want another inception like mindbender sci-fi. Maybe something with quantam mechanics or memories.

Ronaldofan wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 11:17 am
Am I the only one who wants him to make another original sci fi mindbender,mindblowing movie. I mean like inception, the prestige and interstellar. (and Tenet ofcourse but with more emotion). Screw drama's, comedies and historical epics, I want another inception like mindbender sci-fi. Maybe something with quantam mechanics or memories.
You are not the only one, there are most likely other people who perhaps wish the same thing like you. However, Nolan is a writer/director who has tackled and mixed different genres, so he can't be always making Sci-fi even though it's one of his strengths. And considering he is so passionate about cinema, he probably wants to try different genres as much as possible. I wouldn’t see a problem if Nolan were to make something new and unique in the same vein of Following or Memento. Or maybe something like Bong Joon Ho's Parasite (due the layered nature of this film I mean). Some mind bending drama... like Villeneuve's Incendies. In my opinion at least.

I think that trying different things can help him keep growing as a filmmaker. Of course, I always want to see another Sci-fi of his.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 2:21 pm
Ronaldofan wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 11:17 am
You are not the only one, there are most likely other people who perhaps wish the same thing like you. However, Nolan is a writer/director who has tackled and mixed different genres, so he can't be always making Sci-fi even though it's one of his strengths. And considering he is so passionate about cinema, he probably wants to try different genres as much as possible. I wouldn’t see a problem if Nolan were to make something new and unique in the same vein of Following or Memento. Or maybe something like Bong Joon Ho's Parasite (due the layered nature of this film I mean). Some mind bending drama... like Villeneuve's Incendies. In my opinion at least.

I think that trying different things can help him keep growing as a filmmaker. Of course, I always want to see another Sci-fi of his.
He switches the genre for each subsequent movie. I'm excited about whatever he is going to do. But I agree that I would more hyped if we found out he was doing something he hadn't done before. Nolan is quite specific in his interests so I don't see him doing a romantic comedy, supernatural horror film, or even an out-and-out comedy. But I do think his approach can be quite malleable. I find Nolan's interpretation of his history to be fascinating; both the Prestige and Dunkirk are extremely different takes on historical content. I think this is why everyone is enamored with the Hughes film and the Chicago fire project; Nolan never approaches historical subjects in trite, oscar bait ways.

I think bringing up Incendies and Parasite perhaps points to an impulse to see Nolan do less action-oriented work (at least that's what reading your post had me think, can't speak to your intention entirely). I agree with the impulse, I want to see what Nolan would do when set-pieces are taken out of the equation. OR something.

A Borges man wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 4:59 pm
He switches the genre for each subsequent movie. I'm excited about whatever he is going to do. But I agree that I would more hyped if we found out he was doing something he hadn't done before. Nolan is quite specific in his interests so I don't see him doing a romantic comedy, supernatural horror film, or even an out-and-out comedy. But I do think his approach can be quite malleable. I find Nolan's interpretation of his history to be fascinating; both the Prestige and Dunkirk are extremely different takes on historical content. I think this is why everyone is enamored with the Hughes film and the Chicago fire project; Nolan never approaches historical subjects in trite, oscar bait ways.

I think bringing up Incendies and Parasite perhaps points to an impulse to see Nolan do less action-oriented work (at least that's what reading your post had me think, can't speak to your intention entirely). I agree with the impulse, I want to see what Nolan would do when set-pieces are taken out of the equation. OR something.
I definitely agree with the majority of what you have said. I’m interested about whatever it is Nolan will do in the future, no matter the genre. I just meant that we can't always expect him to focus only on Sci-fi either nor should we because Nolan does whatever he feels passionate about and not what audiences would like him to do next. Although I agree it would be interesting to see him work on something he hasn't approached yet nonetheless.

You are right, he is quite specific about his interests but one never knows given that I wouldn’t have expected a rap song for Tenet and yet there we had it. So, only time will tell if he ever approaches a supernatural horror, comedy or romantic one even though I'm aware he has had made it somewhat clear about not being sure of wanting to do a full comedy, for example.

It wasn’t my intention to show an impulse to see Nolan do less action-oriented work but I can see why you got such an impression. I just meant that I wouldn’t see a problem with him doing something more along the lines with those aforementioned films. But I agree with you on the idea of him having such an impulse.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 7:26 pm
A Borges man wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I definitely agree with the majority of what you have said. I’m interested about whatever it is Nolan will do in the future, no matter the genre. I just meant that we can't always expect him to focus only on Sci-fi either nor should we because Nolan does whatever he feels passionate about and not what audiences would like him to do next. Although I agree it would be interesting to see him work on something he hasn't approached yet nonetheless.

You are right, he is quite specific about his interests but one never knows given that I wouldn’t have expected a rap song for Tenet and yet there we had it. So, only time will tell if he ever approaches a supernatural horror, comedy or romantic one even though I'm aware he has had made it somewhat clear about not being sure of wanting to do a full comedy, for example.

It wasn’t my intention to show an impulse to see Nolan do less action-oriented work but I can see why you got such an impression. I just meant that I wouldn’t see a problem with him doing something more along the lines with those aforementioned films. But I agree with you on the idea of him having such an impulse.
Word. All in all, I'm just super excited for whatever he does next. Considering the possible split with WB, it'll be interesting to see what the next phase of Nolan's career will be.

Maybe he will go to a different direction with his next film, according to me, Tenet seemed to be a synthesis of everything he's done so far, a mixture of Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk, all mixed together.
Just a guess but maybe he'll want to go in a different direction. I hope.

I think Nolan loves symmetry, and loves to play with it. Memento is backwards, in interstellar the beginning and ending are intertwined, in tenet everything moves backwards and forwards at the same time with the protagonist arriving at the same place as when the movie started. Dunkirk obviously plays with different time zones so whatever it will be, he most likely will play with the chronology of the plot and play with its symmetry. He noted that Esscher is one of his inspirations and many of his painting can be looked at in different ways with beginnings and endings intertwined.

Ace