Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Do we think Nolan got all the Bond out of his system with Tenet? I think after the knock he suffered with Tenet, he may need some franchise to give him some juice. That is the one series that Nolan has had his eye on for ages. I was quite inspired to hear Nolan say that Timothy Dalton is his favourite Bond. Perhaps he could get Robert Pattinson - who I think could bring a Dalton-esque spin (especially got that vibe from him in High-Life)

LuciusNightmare wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 3:07 pm
Do we think Nolan got all the Bond out of his system with Tenet? I think after the knock he suffered with Tenet, he may need some franchise to give him some juice. That is the one series that Nolan has had his eye on for ages.
I respect your enthusiasm with this but I don’t think Nolan needs to make a Bond movie or a franchise approach for that matter.

Tenet's reception was favorable so maybe some people (not referring to you) are taking this Tenet thing way out of proportion just because when compared to his other projects the overall reception was lower, not to mention box office wise. But when Tenet came out the pandemic was perhaps in a bit more critical point. In any case, Tenet was bound to not do very good money wise from the start but even then it managed to do a bit more (despite the pandemic) than other big non established franchise films, with a sort of similar budget, would in normal times specially for an original IP. In normal times, Tenet could have made 500 probably or even more than that. Same as or more than inception? Most likely not but 600 wasn’t that big of a stretch either. Just look at John Carter, 47 ronin, Stealth, Sahara, Battleship, Cowboys & Aliens, the polar express, the Lone Ranger, or Waterworld in how they did. Those were different times with other obstacles, maybe problems those films had and reception had an effect as well among other things, yes, but no pandemic. Tenet basically relied mainly on Nolan’s name.

The point is that Nolan can continue to do whatever he feels passionate about because I don’t think he has been in a bad position really. If WB is not willing to risk it with him anymore, which I highly doubt although there might be other issues between them but who knows, I’m willing to bet other studios like Paramount would be happy to have him. And also, Nolan should continue working on original stories instead of doing a franchise thing again; the expectations for a Bond film on him would be too high. It's better for him to focus on other projects if you ask me. Maybe a book adaptation if it comes to that. For example, I believe there are stories from Isaac Asimov that might fit Nolan’s interest.

Hopefully he doesn’t make another spy/action/espionage movie again.
I want him to do a horror or go back to space.

When do you guys think the news about Nolan's next movie will come? Dunkirk news came at 2016 and tenet at 2019? I just cant wait till his next movie idea, I hope he makes a emotional sci-fi again (like interstellar and inception)

Ronaldofan wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 5:40 pm
When do you guys think the news about Nolan's next movie will come? Dunkirk news came at 2016 and tenet at 2019? I just cant wait till his next movie idea, I hope he makes a emotional sci-fi again (like interstellar and inception)
If timeframes between Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet are to be taken into account then maybe 2022? For a 2023 release perhaps. But one never really knows when it comes to Nolan, so it could end up being shorter than that this time around.

He probably has different written potential ideas laying around, but he lets them sit for a while and revisit them after some time to see what fits according to him. We can only wait.

Yeah, you can never really predict the pace of a project announcement for a filmmaker, it's not something that's predetermined, it depends on the project and its pace of development, the time he takes to create and ellaborate it, so it could very well be announced at the end of the year as well as early next year.

But in my humble opinion, he must already be in the midst of writing his new project and we might have some clues in the coming months.

Nolan62 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 10:51 am

But in my humble opinion, he must already be in the midst of writing his new project and we might have some clues in the coming months.
Out of curiosity, why exactly do you think we might have some clues in the coming months? Considering it's so early. I mean, there are many reasons why to assume he is probably in the midst of writing new material, specially when Nolan talked about not wanting to stop writing a few months ago, but is there something specific that gives you such a feeling?

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Nolan62 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 10:51 am

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you think we might have some clues in the coming months? Considering it's so early. I mean, there are many reasons why to assume he is probably in the midst of writing new material, specially when Nolan talked about not wanting to stop writing a few months ago, but is there something specific that gives you such a feeling?
No, as a matter of fact, absolutely nothing, I was just referring to possible insiders info that sometimes let the clue about him writting something(like we had some during the time between Dunkirk and Tenet).

But nothing for sure, it's more a wish from me than an official info.
And I'm saying that, but given the fact that during the time between Dunkirk and Tenet, he was on a promo tour for his presentation of 2001:A Space Odyssey so he was in interview where he could talk a little bit about it.

Here, maybe we won't have nothing, and it'll shrouded in secrecy.

Epic historical. My desire.

Hell & Gone