Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Nomis wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm
Okay Nolanhacks next kino needs to make extra serious bucks

It's not going to be some original content

Lets assume it's going to be the most basic shit ever to get butts in seats

My guess is he's going to make an MCU movie I mean come on now, what do you think?
LOL. Good one. I'll bet you it'll still be original...if he is gonna indulage in a IP, it'll be like a book adaptation. No way is there a marvel movie, or a Disney movie in Nolan's future. I also think, someone else brought this up somewhere on this forum, it'll take Nolan more time to get the next project off the ground. 6 years or so probably.

It will definitely be an original film.

But I really hope that this time he'll do something he's never done before. By that I mean he'll completely reinvent himself, both stylistically and thematically. Because looking back, I think he's starting to go round in circles, especially with his theme of time.

I would really like, and I don't despair, that one day we'll have the ultimate Nolan, where he'll completely get out of his comfort zone, where he'll get rid of his recurring themes and something new will come out of his cinema.

I hope for a kind of artistic questioning coming from him, and I know that every filmmaker (or at least very often), feeds off the experience of the previous film, and so on, and evolves and improves in this way.
And he also has to get away from the huge budgets he often has. Money is by no means synonymous with impetus and creative freedom, on the contrary, I think it's a real hindrance. Especially concerning him. And let him drop his script concepts a little in favor of real aesthetic/mise-en-scene questions/ideas.

I really hope that there will be a lot of changes in his cinema in the future, and that one day, maybe, we will have the right to a truly great film coming from him, his most accomplished, daring, singular and mature film, artistically speaking.

^ what you're describing is what i felt Dunkirk was. It is his most accomplished film, and the one I feel most comfortable calling a masterpiece. It's his 2001

but I agree with what you're saying about his interests expanding to different areas of cinema. going smaller would force him to think differently about his entire process. His last three films have pushed a sort of impressionism and experiential quality -- and it would be interesting to see that applied to a smaller film. I could see it feeling like Antonioni or Bresson.

before that I think we're gonna see him do a horror and a western to cross off the other major genres -- which are notably smaller genres than what he's been doing.

i have a gut feeling that the Howard Hughes movie will be his crowning masterpiece, the one they're gonna remember him for. Everything he's learned from these epics applied to a smaller film, and what he calls his "favorite script" he's written.

Nomis wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm
Okay Nolanhacks next kino needs to make extra serious bucks

It's not going to be some original content

Lets assume it's going to be the most basic shit ever to get butts in seats

My guess is he's going to make an MCU movie I mean come on now, what do you think?
If Nolan is going to do adoptive blockbuster it will be a Bond film.

it's not like his draw was lessened this was just a shitty year. his next budget may not be tenet big i don't think it will be cut down that much.

Relevant quote from The Nolan Variations:
“I’ve definitely retired from the business of just doing another film for the sake of doing it,” he told me. “I can’t do that anymore. I find filming very difficult. I find it totally engaging, but it’s an arduous process; there’s a lot of strain on family, on personal relationships; it takes a lot of physical strength. So it’s got to be great. It’s got to be something I love. I think the problem is I am a writer and I don’t want to give that up. The first time I was nominated for a DGA award, I got to meet Ridley Scott, and he was asked about choosing his next project. He said that looking back at his career twenty years in, he had done ten films, which while not inordinately slow, made him think, ‘why not just get on with it?’ But he doesn’t write. I think that’s a big difference. I’m not really looking for a script to come fully formed and land on my desk. No project that I have ever been involved with has ever been like that. I would never want to give that up. Steven [Soderbergh] has found a way: He stopped writing, so he could work faster. He found a way of being able to do a more whimsical production, something small. It just takes me too long to make a film. And if they were smaller, they wouldn’t be any quicker. They’d be quicker to shoot, but the writing, the conceiving of the thing, takes time.”

Insomniac wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 5:36 pm
Relevant quote from The Nolan Variations:
“I’ve definitely retired from the business of just doing another film for the sake of doing it,” he told me. “I can’t do that anymore. I find filming very difficult. I find it totally engaging, but it’s an arduous process; there’s a lot of strain on family, on personal relationships; it takes a lot of physical strength. So it’s got to be great. It’s got to be something I love. I think the problem is I am a writer and I don’t want to give that up. The first time I was nominated for a DGA award, I got to meet Ridley Scott, and he was asked about choosing his next project. He said that looking back at his career twenty years in, he had done ten films, which while not inordinately slow, made him think, ‘why not just get on with it?’ But he doesn’t write. I think that’s a big difference. I’m not really looking for a script to come fully formed and land on my desk. No project that I have ever been involved with has ever been like that. I would never want to give that up. Steven [Soderbergh] has found a way: He stopped writing, so he could work faster. He found a way of being able to do a more whimsical production, something small. It just takes me too long to make a film. And if they were smaller, they wouldn’t be any quicker. They’d be quicker to shoot, but the writing, the conceiving of the thing, takes time.”
Thank you! I’m definitely happy to see he plans to keep writing although at his own pace which I have no problem with.

Unless I am misunderstanding the quote.

interesting quote

its no wonder there are several years in between in his projects but even then I think he works quite fast for someone who writes. I mean, Tenet had its base in Nolans mind for quite some years but I still think it's impressive how he got around to writing a rather complex concept and got around to its massive pre-production to get everything rolling once shooting commenced.

still, I wouldn't mind him tackling pre-existing material, in whatever form. Be it funded on something that really happened in real life or a novel. Like Dunkirk or The Prestige.

I hope he finds something that truly keeps him busy and makes him want to make that film.

Nomis wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:34 am
interesting quote

its no wonder there are several years in between in his projects but even then I think he works quite fast for someone who writes. I mean, Tenet had its base in Nolans mind for quite some years but I still think it's impressive how he got around to writing a rather complex concept and got around to its massive pre-production to get everything rolling once shooting commenced.

still, I wouldn't mind him tackling pre-existing material, in whatever form. Be it funded on something that really happened in real life or a novel. Like Dunkirk or The Prestige.

I hope he finds something that truly keeps him busy and makes him want to make that film.
Yes. No wonder it takes so long but I’m happy to wait.

I agree with the notion of him tackling pre-existing material if it’s based on real life or a novel like the two movies you mentioned. As long as he keeps writing, it’s all good if you ask me.

So, obviously, after Nolan has seen Dank Mank he's going to shoot his next epic entirely if not select sequences in B/W IMAX. You just know he's gonna do it.