Darren Aronofsky Joins Ranks of Possible Directors for THE M

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
It seems as if Darren Aronofsky is the latest to join The Man of Steel directorial sweepstakes being conducted by producer Christopher Nolan. Last week, we reported that Tony Scott, Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebesman, Duncan Jones, and Zack Snyder were meeting with Nolan as potential candidates to helm the David Goyer script. Today, sources are claiming that Nolan and wife/co-producer Emma Thomas have also been in touch with Aronofsky regarding the empty director’s chair.

At first glance, an Aronofsky/Nolan team-up is certainly an intriguing one in that each is an incredibly talented filmmaker known for his own auteur creative style. Hit the jump for more on the story including why their greatest assets may be more curse than gift in this particular scenario.

darren_aronofsky_02The lead on Aronofsky’s potential involvement with The Man of Steel comes courtesy of 24 Frames. The blog is quick to point out that, while successful, both Aronofsky and Nolan have earned the title of “strong-willed auteur.” Ultimately, neither director has shown great interest in, or a glaring necessity for, working in tandem with other visions outside of their own. As such, I would be interested in seeing their co-op if for no other reason than seeing each filmmaker out of his “comfort zone.”

Finally, I have no doubts that Aronofsky is capable of creating a Superman flick that is set within the modern context Nolan has expressed his desire to create while also capturing the fantastical elements that make up Kal-El’s mythology. Thus, if I have a choice of directors (Note: I don’t. Chris Nolan wouldn’t ask for my advice in regards to lunch.), I’m going to go with Aronofsky.

What are your thoughts on who should lead The Man of Steel alongside Nolan? Let us know in the comments. Aronofsky’s Black Swan, starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, opens December 1st.
http://www.collider.com/2010/09/27/darr ... -of-steel/

Ben Affleck was in talks too, but he dropped out.

kor
Affleck is better director than actor but I'm not sure he's grown up for such a project. He's got good taste for picking good scripts. Gone, Baby Gone was really good, The Town is getting good critics and audience reviews so the hint to Ben is simply and short - stay behind the camera, Ben, and maybe someday the doors to Easwood league will open. Most probably, it's not the time yet for him to direct flying chase scenes in the middle of Metropolis or creating Krypton landscape.

Aronofsky is a bit strange choise. His style, dark and twisted areas and projects he chooses are on the opposite side than spandex-type-hero for summer blockbuster. No films for major studios and lack of experience with big budget project can be compensated with his unique auteur approach, though, he could blend into DC universe or could not. One thing is sure - Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The fountain and others could be easily put on the same shelf with The Dark Knight, Memento, Following but the discussion between Nolan and Aronofsky won't be Pitt & Tarantino one.

Moon is great, amazing, awesome and You can put here any other word to describe one and last film of Duncan Jones. But one and last could be tricky. If his first non-studio, non-budget, niche sci-fi debut was such a win (ok, most people didn't even hear about this), what could he do with more... everything? The tricky bit is that Moon could be one and last good film. Script for Source Code is really good. With talented director this could be really The Jacket type ride, without, it will be another film with wasted potential. We'll see.

It looks like form Jonathan Liebesman filmography (I haven't seen any of his movies) that he's pretty interested in horror genre. Upcoming Battle: Los Angeles will change that but without trailer there's nothing much to say. For plus is his work with reboot flick - from what I heard, Leatherface reboot wasn't that bad.

Matt Reeves has done 2 films nobody hasn't even heard about and 2 films that are really good - Cloverfileld and Let me In. He's not Wheedon comic nerd type but who knows. Cloverfield was great - party gossip, metro spiders, street panic, mysterious monster, falling towers rescue scene, ending - it was all impressive such as Superman should be. Reeves is good on working wit not his material - Cloverfield was under J.J. Abrams eye, Let me In is USA take on Swedish Let the Right One In. Maybe, with Nolan Team behind the curtains, it could be pure enjoyment.

Scott hasn't done anything good since... when? Deja Vu? Man on Fire? Enemy of the State? Superman should be massive in scale with amazing effects, flying, etc. Tony Scott could do that. He's not Ridley but he could do even more. The question is - does he want? With at least 6 other project on his plate now? Age is not a problem. But spark and desire could be.

With Snyder on directing chair there is huge possibility that more than half of action will be done with CGI and green screens. With Snyder on directing chair we can be sure, posters and dvd/blu-ray covers will contain - From the Visionary Director of 300 & Watchmen (del Torro is visionary, Snyder might be!). With Snyder on directing chair we can assume that in every 15 minutes there will be a slow mo even if the scene comes out to be Lois frying pancakes for Clark (imagine this rotating pancake falling down on the sizzling pan). But... I've seen many bad CGI effects, stunts, slow motion and bad action scenes - not in Snyder's films. One thing is sure - this guy is capable of thinking on grand scale. It would be interesting to see his vision of Man of Steel, even if visionary badge should be sticked to del Toro.

How true is this? Cos the Marvel fansites were trumpeting him as one of the contenders for Wolverine 2 just a week ago. Is he really interested, or just going through a checklist of interesting projects provided by his agent?
If this is not just a rumour, it COULD be awesome.. :-)

kanjisheik wrote:How true is this? Cos the Marvel fansites were trumpeting him as one of the contenders for Wolverine 2 just a week ago. Is he really interested, or just going through a checklist of interesting projects provided by his agent?
If this is not just a rumour, it COULD be awesome.. :-)
nothing is 100% yet, they just negotiated or just had a meeting.

I know he was interested for the Batman reboot before Nolan takes over.

My preferred Directors for the Nolan produced Man Of Steel film from the list:

1. Zack Snyder- his work with visuals and intense action mixed with Nolans storytelling abilities is the perfect combination for the next Supes film

2. Darren Aronofsky- solid storytelling skills and can work with SFX, characterization and emotion. His work with SFX on The Fountain was impressive!

3. Robert Zemekis- his resume speaks for itself, however has he already peaked?

4. Matt Reeves- A JJ Abrams protege. Abrams would be a good choice for director of a Superman film, but he is tied to Paramount for now....his protege would probably do a solid job on a Supes film. He may direct the Trek sequel if JJ can't.

5. Duncan Jones- a definite indie favorite, but is he ready to take on a big budgeted film with some big time action and SFX scenes yet? Might be to soon for him to direct the Supes film.

6. Tony Scott- not for me thanks....he peaked a long time ago IMO.

My own personal choice who should be added to WB's and Nolans list of possible directors for the Supes film is Alfonso Cuaron. Solid storyteller, great at depicting drama, emotion and action. Shown he can handle big time SFX with the Potter film he directed and intricate SFX with Children of Men also.

DKnight007 wrote:6. Tony Scott- not for me thanks....he peaked a long time ago IMO.
Tony Scott is a serious hit or miss for myself, and most people from what I've been hearing. He has done some damn good films in the past. Crimson Tide being one of my shallow favorites since I think the acting in it was pretty good. I think he got stuck with terrible writing at times (Domino, anyone?) I would be incredibly interested to see either Scott or Snyder do the project given the strong writing persona's behind MOS. That is of course my opinion. Tony get's a ton of his style from his brother and it's a good style, I enjoy the fast paced method he uses in his films.

Snyder's visual style is incredibly hard to do, and like any director, you're only as good as the writing that is given to you for the most part. Hopefully we learn about who it is soon so that they can get the ball rolling and have enough time to turn this into an amazing project.