Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
stanley wrote:
Trax-3 wrote:Sword and Sandal epic.
I'll second this. I'd love to see him tackle Alexander the Great. What's more epic then the story of Alexander? It was tried by Oliver Stone, and the film is pretty much a mess.
I actually think that Alexander is pretty solid as far as Hollywood historical epics go (usually they tend to be historical only in name). From the point of material depiction of the period it has to be one of the best historical films taking place in a distant past. I also think it's a somewhat misunderstood film because it doesn't yield to modern tastes and sensibilities as much as historical films usually do.

I hope it isn't an unusual thing to say, but Dunkirk felt like a horror movie to me at times and I want to see what Nolan can do in an full blown horror film.

A Nolan horror film? That'd be terrifying :o

MyCocaine wrote:
Sysmatic wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:An epic western.

It's time for a grand comeback. He spoke about it a few years back.

He had written a western and a non-supernatural horror film in vein of Jaws.
You got a source for this?
A long time ago I had. I can be bothered to dig for it.

It has been brought up many times on this forum.

Also, it was Emma Thomas those quotes came from.
Aight, I'll get a search party going.

"Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort."

http://www.incontention.com/2008/12/04/ ... rk-knight/

Each of these three are very welcome. But oh man, I would love to see Nolan's take on the Jaws-"genre"

After watching Dunkirk - Nolan really showed excellent execution in creating tension and allusion, which are strong elements for a thriller/horror film.

This past weekend I read an uncorrected pre-release version of a book written by Geoffrey Girard called "Mary Rose" which is an adaptation of a play write by J.M. Barrie. Alfred Hitchcock was actually going to direct a film adaption, but that fell through along the production process. Mary Rose is a psychological/ghost story thriller which I think Nolan could pull off. Regardless, I wholeheartedly think that a thriller/horror is the natural next step for Nolan to tackle.

Hate horror films and I don't want Nolan going in that direction. A Jaws-style film would be great considering his perfection of suspense. A Nolan western would be interesting (not a fan of the genre, but there are great ones out there).

Insomniac wrote:"Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort."

http://www.incontention.com/2008/12/04/ ... rk-knight/
This is extremely interesting. If he does a western, horror and a biopic his filmography will certainly be legendary.

Citizen Hughes

An interior piece shot entirely on glorious 70mm.

Jim Carrey as Howard Hughes. He could shoot it in 30 days or something.