Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Nolan making a romcom would at least be kind of interesting.

My big fear is Nolan making something that's frankly beneath him. You know, like Fincher having to do World War Z 2.

I have no doubt that it'll be big. I thought there's no way he could go bigger than he did with Interstellar and he made Dunkirk so... It's gonna BIG!

One of Nolan’s biggest landmark influences was Star Wars (77). I bet you he wants to do something like that. A portal to another world we’ve never seen before. Something that the whole family can go to. Something that can break a billion at the global box office and that ensures he can continue making any kind of film he wants to for years and years. But also to choose something he can eschew the cgi patina that’s in nearly all blockbusters these days and create the world for real. with his clout he can do it.

I also bet you Emma Thomas is steering him towards that after Dunkirk and Interstellar; two excellent artistic achievements in their own right, and financial successes, but not nearly as broadly appealing as something like Star Wars or Batman. I firmly believe he’s gonna do an adventure film kids and adults are going to want to see the world over, but that he can have wide latitude in the creative direction.It’s good business sense. This is all my own speculation of course.

I absolutely agree in that there's a limit to the "artist" in him at this stage in his career. He wants to go as big as possible, for as long as he can. Not just as a director.

On the Emma Thomas side, they want Syncopy to be successful and be a top-tier production company. That can open the door to more filmmakers making independent projects under the Syncopy name, and producing them.

Nolan's not selfish. He's a collaborative man. And he loves film and wants to preserve it and wants to keep movies original and fresh and feel outside the studio system - even if they're not his own. And look at his 8-minute documentary short for the Quay Brothers. Look at his work on restoring 2001: A Space Odyssey. Look at him traveling to India, and conducting interviews of other filmmakers like George Lucas and Edgar Wright and Michael Mann and Guillermo Del Toro and Quentin Tarantino. He lives and breathes filmmaking.

So in my opinion, yeah, he's got something big cooking up, and he's thinking long term not just for the billion dollar box office, but for what it could mean for the film industry as a whole.

I'm still sticking to him taking on another existing IP, obviously owned by Warner Brothers. I'll die on this hill. :P

Angus wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:18 pm
I absolutely agree in that there's a limit to the "artist" in him at this stage in his career. He wants to go as big as possible, for as long as he can. Not just as a director.

On the Emma Thomas side, they want Syncopy to be successful and be a top-tier production company. That can open the door to more filmmakers making independent projects under the Syncopy name, and producing them.

Nolan's not selfish. He's a collaborative man. And he loves film and wants to preserve it and wants to keep movies original and fresh and feel outside the studio system - even if they're not his own. And look at his 8-minute documentary short for the Quay Brothers. Look at his work on restoring 2001: A Space Odyssey. Look at him traveling to India, and conducting interviews of other filmmakers like George Lucas and Edgar Wright and Michael Mann and Guillermo Del Toro and Quentin Tarantino. He lives and breathes filmmaking.

So in my opinion, yeah, he's got something big cooking up, and he's thinking long term not just for the billion dollar box office, but for what it could mean for the film industry as a whole.

I'm still sticking to him taking on another existing IP, obviously owned by Warner Brothers. I'll die on this hill. :P
wow, well said.

Forum Pro
Law
Just saw Nolan and he stated he's announcing his next project on 01/18/19. Nolan further stated the project deals with man who just lost his wife, to impatience. The film and divorce is set for 2020.

I too believe Nolan is a greedy fat cat almost entirely motivated by what might or might not make a billion dollars.

Insomniac wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:39 am
I too believe Nolan is a greedy fat cat almost entirely motivated by what might or might not make a billion dollars.
Yeah, because that's exactly what I said.

Ace
Insomniac wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 8:53 am
I still want the Howard Hughes film.

Jonathan Nolan commented on it recently:
It remains one of the very greatest scripts I've ever read. It's astonishing. I think he's on the record as saying he just took too long writing it, but however long it took, you had Scorsese's DiCaprio project ("The Aviator") in there, and as is often the case in Hollywood, sometimes you get to make 'em and sometimes you don't. I hope at some point he goes back and makes that, because that was an incredible script.
It was also obvious he still wants to make it from that Happy Sad Confused podcast interview.

Plus Jim Carrey needs a comeback.
Apologies for quoting an old post but I also want the Howard Hughes film.
Reading what Jonah says about this project makes me so excited for when Chris finally decides to make this film.
It does sound too good to ignore forever.

With the interview Chris did for BAFTA back in 2017 he said he “does still hope to make it one day.” So he obviously changed his mind about it being scarapped forever.

Even when asked about it he is reluctant to say such because of spoilers...
(@1:18)
https://soundcloud.com/bafta/nolan-lip-audio-1

Quote with manager/agent Graham Kaye from 2017
Q: What’s your Dream Project, how would you go about making it, and who would you cast — and do you have any casting tips?

GRAHAM KAYE: Ah the ones that got away. The one I regret not getting made was a project that I help set up for Scott Steindorff at Castle Rock Films. It was a brilliant book by Richard Hack about Howard Hughes. I attached Jim Carrey and Christopher Nolan to write and direct and Christopher had such a great feel for how this movie should be made and I thought Jim Carrey would be amazing as Howard Hughes. But Miramax ended up making the “Aviator” to beat out Castle Rock. And the feeling I got after seeing the film was that it was done just to cross the finish line first the movie had no soul.

Ace wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:04 am
Insomniac wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 8:53 am
I still want the Howard Hughes film.

Jonathan Nolan commented on it recently:
It remains one of the very greatest scripts I've ever read. It's astonishing. I think he's on the record as saying he just took too long writing it, but however long it took, you had Scorsese's DiCaprio project ("The Aviator") in there, and as is often the case in Hollywood, sometimes you get to make 'em and sometimes you don't. I hope at some point he goes back and makes that, because that was an incredible script.
It was also obvious he still wants to make it from that Happy Sad Confused podcast interview.

Plus Jim Carrey needs a comeback.
Apologies for quoting an old post but I also want the Howard Hughes film.
Reading what Jonah says about this project makes me so excited for when Chris finally decides to make this film.
It does sound too good to ignore forever.

With the interview Chris did for BAFTA back in 2017 he said he “does still hope to make it one day.” So he obviously changed his mind about it being scarapped forever.

Even when asked about it he is reluctant to say such because of spoilers...
(@1:18)
https://soundcloud.com/bafta/nolan-lip-audio-1

Quote with manager/agent Graham Kaye from 2017
Q: What’s your Dream Project, how would you go about making it, and who would you cast — and do you have any casting tips?

GRAHAM KAYE: Ah the ones that got away. The one I regret not getting made was a project that I help set up for Scott Steindorff at Castle Rock Films. It was a brilliant book by Richard Hack about Howard Hughes. I attached Jim Carrey and Christopher Nolan to write and direct and Christopher had such a great feel for how this movie should be made and I thought Jim Carrey would be amazing as Howard Hughes. But Miramax ended up making the “Aviator” to beat out Castle Rock. And the feeling I got after seeing the film was that it was done just to cross the finish line first the movie had no soul.
This could be a good a possibility as any. And Jim Carrey is the right age these days for the time period in Hughes’ life no?

As far as the billion dollar mark, the people financing the next film certainly want to have an idea beforehand on what it could make. They have to plan a ceiling and a floor. They just don’t wing it without estimating their returns.

All this pre production time would indicate an Epic action movie though. Unless Nolan just took time off to be with his fam and not do any work.