The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
what if he just retires

Nomis wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:18 am
what if he just retires

Nomis wrote:
what if he just retires
Why not. Movie theatres are dead anyways. So he might as well. This whole expierence of waiting for Tenet and seeing the Reviews has been quite disheartening. I don't know if Nolan has a place anymore. Neither the critics, nor Film-twitter, nor the mass auidance like his work. Whenever he comes up online it is so toxic from every direction.

He should wait like 10 years before making something else. Make people miss him, make people want it.

CASE wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm
Nomis wrote:
what if he just retires
:lol:

A Borges man wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:57 pm
Nomis wrote:
what if he just retires
Why not. Movie theatres are dead anyways. So he might as well. This whole expierence of waiting for Tenet and seeing the Reviews has been quite disheartening. I don't know if Nolan has a place anymore. Neither the critics, nor Film-twitter, nor the mass auidance like his work. Whenever he comes up online it is so toxic from every direction.

He should wait like 10 years before making something else. Make people miss him, make people want it.
WTF ? Are you trolling ? The majority of Tenet reviews has been very positive so far. And as said multiple times, Interstellar is 7.07/10 on RT and is much loved by almost everyone. Don't let journalists tell you what to like :D

A Borges man wrote:
Nomis wrote:
what if he just retires

A majority of critics, film-twitter, and especially mass audience have liked his previous films, one bad one isn't the end of the world. Plenty of directors, most directors, have had misfires and have gone on to make other great movies. Ridley Scott, Spielberg, Coppola, Hitchcock, etc. all had movies that got bad, mediocre reviews and tepid results at the box office.

radewart wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:25 pm
A Borges man wrote:
Nomis wrote:
what if he just retires

A majority of critics, film-twitter, and especially mass audience have liked his previous films, one bad one isn't the end of the world. Plenty of directors, most directors, have had misfires and have gone on to make other great movies. Ridley Scott, Spielberg, Coppola, Hitchcock, etc. all had movies that got bad, mediocre reviews and tepid results at the box office.
Really don't know why everyone is saying that it has mostly bad reviews so far though. It hasn't.

when one of his blockbusters doesn't work like his previous ones have I think he'll recharge with a smaller film. I don't necessarilyyyyy think that's Tenet, it appears to have its fans and will probably do decent BO, all things considered.

But i wouldn't be surprised if he does Hell and Gone as something more mainstream and "normal" for his next film, like Dunkirk after Interstellar.

But after he does finish the epics, it feels written in the stars that his Howard Hughes movie is going to be his magnum opus. Something tells me he won't do it until he finds an actor that gave him the same spark as Jim Carrey.

morlock84 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:48 pm
radewart wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:25 pm
A Borges man wrote:

Really d
morlock84 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:26 pm
A Borges man wrote:

WTF ? Are you trolling ? The majority of Tenet reviews has been very positive so far. And as said multiple times, Interstellar is 7.07/10 on RT and is much loved by almost everyone. Don't let journalists tell you what to like :D
on't know why everyone is saying that it has mostly bad reviews so far though. It hasn't.
I'm having a depressive episode; should talk to my therapist. Love Nolan, Love basically all his movies; I think the discource around Nolan this year has been ridiculous. Honestly, the amount Nolan gets shit on on the internet makes me feel like I have shit taste, and that i'm delusion.

While Dunkirk's depiction of a war-time nightmarish hellscape certainly taps into an acute survivalist anxiety, I would be interested in seeing Nolan take on something more overtly psychological in the horror genre, like a case of someone (a female lead perhaps) slowly losing their mind and unable to distinguish fantasy from reality (which I guess was what Inception was originally conceived as). Something along the lines of Polanski's Repulsion or Bergman's Hour of the Wolf but on a bigger canvas, maybe told through memories/flashbacks and a crazy narrative structure like Last Year at Marienbad (time and space are fluid, with no certainty over what is happening to the character(s), what they are remembering or imagining). So something not super accessible to general audiences lol, but not really a stretch given that Tenet seems to be his least accessible movie yet, I think it would be kind of interesting to see Nolan go more and more experimental.

Hell and Gone makes sense as a follow-up to Dunkirk in terms of a large-scale historical disaster film (plus there's Nolan's connection with Chicago, having partially grown up there), but the only thing that gives me pause is the apparent love story angle(?) that I remember reading about and comparisons to Titanic.