The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Many of his films have horror elements like Batman Begins and Interstellar. I remember reading somewhere that Inception was supposed to be horror? but then the scope expanded and it's a heist movie now.

So yeah, I guess I can't expect zombies or any other fantasy elements without some scientific explanations to it. But that makes me more curious to how he will handle the suspense and traditional jump scare :D Maybe he'll make a movie about hallucination and mental illness that is really scary someday.

a rom-com with at least 5 musical numbers

edit: IN SPACE!

Still thinking Nolan should write and direct his own horror film. I think he could genuinely scare the shit out of audiences with his capability of building tension. And give me a weird plot twist and I'm happy

Willem wrote:Still thinking Nolan should write and direct his own horror film. I think he could genuinely scare the shit out of audiences with his capability of building tension. And give me a weird plot twist and I'm happy
hell yeah

I think if Nolan were to write/direct a horror film, the kind of film closest to it would have been something like Mr. Brooks. I'm sure he could come up with something equally as compelling.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him go back to the early 1900s or 1800s and do something following a kid instead. Maybe a petty thief. Nolan doing The Prestige and even the BB flashbacks gives me optimism that he can hold my attention with something that doesn't have to be too flashy.

Obviously films like these wouldn't be IMAX summer blockbusters, of course. I don't really know if they'll let him go back, haha. Seems like after TDKR he has done two "personal" projects, so I'm sure he owes the studios something else like Bond (I don't actually mean that movie, but I mean another big name).

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I think if Nolan were to write/direct a horror film, the kind of film closest to it would have been something like Mr. Brooks. I'm sure he could come up with something equally as compelling.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him go back to the early 1900s or 1800s and do something following a kid instead. Maybe a petty thief. Nolan doing The Prestige and even the BB flashbacks gives me optimism that he can hold my attention with something that doesn't have to be too flashy.

Obviously films like these wouldn't be IMAX summer blockbusters, of course. I don't really know if they'll let him go back, haha. Seems like after TDKR he has done two "personal" projects, so I'm sure he owes the studios something else like Bond (I don't actually mean that movie, but I mean another big name).
He owes them nothing. Interstellar was financially successful. Not like the studios lost money on the project.

Dunkirk is riskier and could end up losing money, but I think WB wants to be associated with Nolan for the rest of his career. They have already made a shitload of profit from Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar. If you remember that article from a couple years ago in either the Wall Street Journal or New York Times, he is pretty much a god at Warner Brothers. He has more power than the executives.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:...he is pretty much a god at Warner Brothers. He has more power than the executives.
If he was a god at Warner Bros., I doubt so much shit would be released in recent times under their logo (sorry, Warners, but we both know that it's true).

I would love for him to direct Devil in the White City if Martin Scorsese does not make it. Devil in the White City is about H.H. Holmes. America's first serial killer. He had a hotel in Chicago during the world's fair in 1893. He murdered people at his hotel and had all of these trap doors and he used gas in people hotel rooms to kill them. He even had his own furnace in the basement to remove the bodies. He made all these different allies as well. The movie would be like Zodiac meets Psycho.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:I would love for him to direct Devil in the White City if Martin Scorsese does not make it. Devil in the White City is about H.H. Holmes. America's first serial killer. He had a hotel in Chicago during the world's fair in 1893. He murdered people at his hotel and had all of these trap doors and he used gas in people hotel rooms to kill them. He even had his own furnace in the basement to remove the bodies. He made all these different allies as well. The movie would be like Zodiac meets Psycho.
I wouldn't because he would probably make it PG-13.

Allstar wrote:
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:I would love for him to direct Devil in the White City if Martin Scorsese does not make it. Devil in the White City is about H.H. Holmes. America's first serial killer. He had a hotel in Chicago during the world's fair in 1893. He murdered people at his hotel and had all of these trap doors and he used gas in people hotel rooms to kill them. He even had his own furnace in the basement to remove the bodies. He made all these different allies as well. The movie would be like Zodiac meets Psycho.
I wouldn't because he would probably make it PG-13.
He did Following, Memento, and Insomnia as R-rated films. With it being a small budget film I think he would make it rated R. David Fincher is my third choice.