The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
LelekPL wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Nomis wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Another spiritual sequel to Inception ! But of Tenet !

Taking on a genre that's usually full of suspense and action: check (Inception was heist Tenet is spy, just guess it lol)
Introducing a mysterious sci-fi element that serves as a set of rules the characters can interact with and get fucked up with: check
Asian lead actor: Steven Yeun (I mean come on now)
Shooting the film on 65mm/IMAX only, with that crazy way of processing the film: check
Several countries! check
Göransson back to score!
No pandemic!
The "Men in suits" trilogy :P What would be the third genre in your vision, other than heist or spy? Gangster (a sci-fi movie set in the world of triads or yakuza would be cool)? Thriller (with detectives and a sci-fi hook for the serial killer)? Maybe horror?
It's a tough one to predict though. It sort of starts by thinking it must take place in modern day, but tbh I'd love to see Nolan tackling something set in the past, think before 1900s if not further back. It'd be interesting to see what he would come up with with not such modern weapons and vehicles*. I'd also love to see him going head on with the adventure genre, since Inception and Tenet cover lots of locations too, you could say they sort of tap into adventure too except adventure films are usually more about the locations they explore. Hell, even Interstellar's second act is full on adventure lol but yeah I just hope to see him explore different periods and really turn the expectations that come with that on it's head, while still being spiritual sequels to Inception and Tenet

*still though, one does not simply come up with some crazy mysterious sci-fi element like any other day :lol: since Nolan is so in awe of time it'll probably have a whole lot to do with that

I think that Nolan should direct a suspense/horror movie.

I'm pretty sure that he would be good at it, one of his inspiration is Aliens, he proved in The Dark Knight that he can do jump scares (while I dislike jump scares).

He proved in Insomnia and Following that he can create suspense, and he proved with Dunkirk that he can create non-stop exhilarating sequences.

If he takes all these elements, I'm sure that he could obtain a movie that would fix the standard for the next decades.

he has already done that with Dunkirk

Nolan wants to push the boundaries and sort of rethink several genres at once, if his next film gets to be a huge one again, since we all have to wait and see how the movie business will recover and start up whenever we get a vaccine, it could be literally anything but something he's done before

Except for another Men in Suits film :P I think it'll take sometime before he comes up with something as dense as Inception and Tenet again (Asian-American lead PLS, or Chalamet cus god)

I don't agree, Dunkirk is far from belonging to the horror genre.

Dunkirk can't be closer to the horror without being one.

Without an emotional connection to any of the "characters", it really doesn't. 1917 was a much better thrill ride when it comes to scares at various stages of the movie.

CASE wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 11:01 pm
Dunkirk can't be closer to the horror without being one.
this is the correct take, it's essentially a series of scenes exploiting and weaponizing very specific elemental fears. the stukas are basically phantoms.

-Vader

Dunkirk is not a horror movie, horror is about making the viewer uncomfortable. Dunkirk didn't make me feel uncomfortable, it was very thrilling/intense, but still far from being a horror movie despite its uses of horror codes.

I'm gonna take IMDb's words to close my point of view:
Should contain numerous consecutive scenes of characters effecting a terrifying and/or repugnant narrative throughout the title. Note: not to be confused with Thriller which is not usually based in fear or abhorrence. Subjective.
https://contribute.imdb.com/updates#horror

In other words, we can't stretch the definition of thriller to apply to Dunkirk. I think Nolan, said himself, that he didn't want to depict horror in his movie, because he felt that he couldn't rival with Saving Private Ryan.

As I interpret it, he wanted to experiment, to dissociate his movie with the "war" genre, and to direct a "survival thriller", but that doesn't mean that he directed a horror film.

After having watched again Dunkirk for my Nolan marathon before Tenet, I think I would love him to direct another epic "historical movie". BUT not about something related to WW1 or WW2 as there have been now hundreds of movies about these periods. What about a Nolan $200M movie about Bonaparte and the Napoleonic wars ? I think this could be crazy.

If he were to do a historical movie again, and that's very low on my list, I'd prefer him to pick a less cinematically popular timeline and figures.

But still, he should do something new in terms of genre. Horror, maybe a comedy to try himself and do something different, especially since a lot of the reviews for Tenet are describing the film as stale and by the numbers in terms of his filmography.