The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Even mediocre directors fail upward constantly. Nolan will be more than fine after Tenet. Covid is a once in a century pandemic.

I think it would be really cool for Nolan to make a movie with a woman lead. Doesn’t matter if it’s big budget or smaller. Also doesn’t need to be gimmicky about feminism or have an all female cast, or even have a very female centric story. I think with Tenet he showed that with the right acting power, he can organically insert any character of any background into his *world* and a story he wants to tell. What I keep seeing is how bipoc talk about wanting to see themselves represented in films and stories that don’t stereotypically center around their suffering and/or oppression. And with Tenet, it’s kind of exactly that.

So I think Nolan could execute that just fine with a female lead. Imo long overdue.

That would be super cool. However I’m loathe to think of the potential hit pieces saying Nolan doesn’t have the authority/knowledge to tell a woman’s story, even if he tried to make it as non controversial as possible. Damned if he does, damned if he don’t. Hopefully the story and responses would be positively received though 🤞.

I feel like after all this he’s gonna do an IP, wide appeal franchise type movie. Something that in a few years has a greater chance at huge B.O returns, and then perhaps after that do a few more art films ‘for him’.

I doubt anyone would be writing any hit pieces and I did specifically say it doesn’t need to tell “a woman’s story”. Having JDW in Tenet doesn’t mean it’s telling a “black man’s story”. It’s just a cool spy action with a very neat concept. It’s more often that characters in Nolan’s films just happen to be thrown into the world of the stories he tells, rather than those stories be very specifically tailored for them.

Ruth wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:44 pm
I think it would be really cool for Nolan to make a movie with a woman lead. Doesn’t matter if it’s big budget or smaller. Also doesn’t need to be gimmicky about feminism or have an all female cast, or even have a very female centric story. I think with Tenet he showed that with the right acting power, he can organically insert any character of any background into his *world* and a story he wants to tell. What I keep seeing is how bipoc talk about wanting to see themselves represented in films and stories that don’t stereotypically center around their suffering and/or oppression. And with Tenet, it’s kind of exactly that.

So I think Nolan could execute that just fine with a female lead. Imo long overdue.
sjw scum

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Ruth wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:44 pm

sjw scum

-Vader

Ruth wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
I doubt anyone would be writing any hit pieces and I did specifically say it doesn’t need to tell “a woman’s story”. Having JDW in Tenet doesn’t mean it’s telling a “black man’s story”. It’s just a cool spy action with a very neat concept. It’s more often that characters in Nolan’s films just happen to be thrown into the world of the stories he tells, rather than those stories be very specifically tailored for them.
In an ideal world it would be great if he could nonchalantly have a woman playing the lead, and nobody had anything to say about it left or right. But I doubt it.

I'm 100% sure that female lead is only a matter of time.

Oku
Before TENET and the pandemic, a female lead for his next movie was all but guaranteed, in my opinion.

Now my bet is, he's going to have to do a 'safe' one for WB to make up for TENET's losses first before he can get back to doing another Dunkirk or TENET.

That means going back to the commonalities of his biggest hits:
- white male lead who wants to return home to his kids
- dead significant-other
- exposition where the same information is repeated multiples times throughout the film by different characters
- etc.

CASE wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 4:41 am
I'm 100% sure that female lead is only a matter of time.
With 6 ft 3 Elizabeth Debicki! I'm all in! 8-)